TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Here is a video I made over the summer. Please let me know how it is.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/qOvxheWE5fs[/youtu_be]

**Before you comment asking why I didn't film Gatekeeper, the reason there is no Gatekeeper footage is because on the day I filmed towards the front of the park Gatekeeper was down. It was one of the three days in a row that it was down.**

Great video, one of the best videos I have seen of Cedar Point!

The only thing that could make it better is if you included some shots besides rides, but other than that, perfect

Eh, needs more Iron Dragon.

But seriously, great video Josh!

**Before you comment asking why I didn't film Gatekeeper, the reason there is no Gatekeeper footage is because on the day I filmed towards the front of the park Gatekeeper was down. It was one of the three days in a row that it was down.**

Wait, why didn't you film Gatekeeper??.... jk, nice video!! Keep them coming! haha

^I have no idea what you're talking about here, but I presume that it's the conversion of Mantis, a stand-up coaster, into a floorless, sit-down coaster. To my knowledge, this is the first time this has been attempted.

^ The only possible thing I can think of that they may be referring to is Vampire's conversion from the Arrow suspended trains to Vekoma's floorless trains, but still that is different from a stand-up to floorless conversion and I wouldn't really have counted it as the UK's "floorless coaster" either since then we'd be counting all the inverted coasters.

The "Good Time Theater" is closing for "future expansion":

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/The-Curtain-Closes

We’ve just announced that over the winter months, we’ll be removing the Good Time Theatre from the park. We can’t tell you all the details, but we’ll need that space for future expansion. Originally opened in 1975 as the Cedar Point Cinema featuring IMAX movies, it was converted into The Good Time Theatre in 2002 with the debut of “Snoopy Rocks! On Ice.”

Edited by larrygator

That's potentially huge news... the removal of that building frees up an expansion area about the size of Mantis if you assume they'll either build over or remove the Turnpike cars (very likely since they have 2 other car rides) and you factor in (maybe) Wildcat's now mostly empty pad. All of these things are right next to each other.

Please let them build a GCI there.

That's what i'm hoping for, a nice lakeside twister. Kind of disappointed that the ice show is going away though because it was actually really fun. There were also rumors that challenge park rides were being moved into the park so this could be opening up expansion space for them.

I know a ton about this part of the park because I lived in Cedars. There was a lot of talk about Cedars being removed during the 2015 or 2016 season. Cedars is over 100 years old, falling apart, has no AC, un-popular, and completely un-maintained. The lack of renovation (or really even general upkeep) tells me that the park plans to do away with it soon. Really, the housing feels border-line condemnable.

Spectulating on an expansion of Commons is kind of redundant since it was just expanded this season (I believe the 1600s are all new). There is plenty of space over there for more buildings and I'm sure if Cedars bites the dust, we will see them expand it even further. However, this is problematic. Commons after dark is scary and borders onto unsafe. I believe in a single incident around 30 or so (I didn't look it up, and my memory is a little fuzy), were arrested and 16 were convicted for aggrivated rioting. Several sandusky police cars were always on site and cedar point officals were always by the gate. I knew a few employees who would actually avoid leaving their room after certain times. The amount of parties and loud music makes a typical college campus look like a daycare center. I don't know how quickly Cedar Point is looking to up their liability by further crowding and populating this area. Not to mention, the bus system from commons to the park is already overloaded and causes employees to be late (which at Cedar Point could easily cost you your job).

Cedars sits on some nice real estate by the marina (after all, it WAS a hotel), so I'm sure the park is itching to get at it. However, unlike axing the theater, removing Cedars is a pandora's box of issues that I don't think Cedar Point wants to open right now. I'm sure we wil see the antiuqe cars removed along with the theater towards the end of next season.

Spectulating on an expansion of Commons is kind of redundant since it was just expanded this season (I believe the 1600s are all new). There is plenty of space over there for more buildings and I'm sure if Cedars bites the dust, we will see them expand it even further. However, this is problematic. Commons after dark is scary and borders onto unsafe. I believe in a single incident around 30 or so (I didn't look it up, and my memory is a little fuzy), were arrested and 16 were convicted for aggrivated rioting. Several sandusky police cars were always on site and cedar point officals were always by the gate. I knew a few employees who would actually avoid leaving their room after certain times. The amount of parties and loud music makes a typical college campus look like a daycare center. I don't know how quickly Cedar Point is looking to up their liability by further crowding and populating this area. Not to mention, the bus system from commons to the park is already overloaded and causes employees to be late (which at Cedar Point could easily cost you your job).

This.

^ Seconded. Honestly, even though Cedars is pretty nasty, not having to deal with the Commons dorms was a relief. You can't beat a five minute walk to work, and you hardly spend any time in your room anyway if you work at the park. Commons was genuinely scary after dark, so I usually made my friends hang out on point instead of venturing down there.

I did get inside the theater for one last show at Halloweekends this year which was kind of neat as I had not been in there since I was a kid and it was the Imax.

But yeah, the theater seemed dated and I am sure that whatever replaces it will be much nicer.

Wow, that sure came out of left field but it seemed like only a matter of time before IMAX/Good Time Theater would disappear. However I had thought the old Oceana Stadium would have been long gone by now.

BTW, how much longer until Luminosity runs out of gas? It's not that I don't like it, it certainly brings new nightlife to the park but the location sucks and can be a bottleneck just like during the old crappy laser show days. So much more potential for that entire midway now that GTT is leaving.