TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well did everyone realise that in the 14th the Hennessey Venom GT broke the record for speed (270,49mph)? I totally missed this and only realised now.

To bad that it's not an official one since it was just one run, and not the required two for an official record.

^Yeah, I know. Still, Koenigsegg is going to build the Agera One which is supposed to get to 280mph. Now I hope they do get to test this one's top speed, Koenigsegg is my favourite manufacturer and I would like to see them teaching the Veyron a lesson.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of fast cars... I must say... I HATE the way the Bugatti Veyron looks. It may be the fastest car in the world .... But it is beyond ugly. Why can't it be as beautiful as the Lamborghini Aventador?!?

^I don't hate the way it looks but I'm not a fan of it. For a car with so much power (and so fast) it almost looks "boring". It's too quiet, too heavy and, from what I've heard, quite "neutral" to drive fast. Plus it has 10000 cylinders and 40 turbos.

My dream car (well, manufacturer, really) has been koenigsegg for a while. Their latest car: the One:1 which is basically and extreme version of the Agera R (whose production isn't limited to six as the former) has 1360 hp and weighs 1360 kilograms.

koenigsegg-one1-h.jpg.de7922cad45a3ab8a0ecf4737fa4b6d1.jpg

Now speaking of their Agera R, it has 1140 hp and because it weighs about 1300 kilos it accelerates and brakes faster than the veyron (0-124mph in 7,8s and 0-186-0 mph in 21s). I also has real wheel drive only and no need for 16 cylinders: it has a twin turbo V8. Plus it makes brutal noise.

(and is a bit cheaper than the veyron)

The reason why it hasn't broken the speed record is because they have no place to so it (unlike Volkswagen which has a massive test rack). Then you also have to consider it's a small company, founded only 20 years ago and they still don't employ that many people, hence the limited production.

Overall, I just think they make a lot more interesting cars than the veyron and don't get much credit for it.

Speaking of fast cars... I must say... I HATE the way the Bugatti Veyron looks. It may be the fastest car in the world .... But it is beyond ugly. Why can't it be as beautiful as the Lamborghini Aventador?!?

It's not conventionally pretty to my eye either, but if you want to do 250+ and stay ON the surface of the Earth, you shape the car exactly how the wind tells you to. And you do it with a smile.

^I know, it's more of a gimmick. I imagine it must feel rather irritating to have a car with such possibilities and never really be able to use them.

But I suppose you can always go to a racetrack (even though you still won't be able to hit 250)

What is the point of having a top speed that is unattainable in real life?

In real life, as in your daily commute to work and such? That's not really the point of cars like that. Joe Smith isn't going to buy a Koenigsegg One:1 as his grocery getter. That's like saying, what's the point of a 400+hp Mustang if you live in a suburb with a speed limit of 25mph? It's all in the love and passion for cars.

Just because you can't reach the top speed doesn't mean you can't go fast. You can take your car onto a race-track and do some fast laps. At such moment, I'd rather have a car that is either focused on acceleration or handling instead having a top speed that can be reached in only 1 place in the world.

What is the point of having a top speed that is unattainable in real life?

I was at an event at an ex military base a few weeks ago that had a 9000 foot runway where people were trying to max their cars. Most broke 200mph so even though they're not necessarily hitting their theoretical max, at that speed I'm not sure they cared!

• 1 month later...

Just bought my new car a couple days ago! A 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe in Mineral White with the 'Sport' line package

Absolutely loving it so far! Perfect combination of sportiness and elegance. I chose the 428i GC over the 328i because even though there's no real difference under the hood between the 2, I find the 428i GC way more aesthetically pleasing and sleek than the 328i IMO.

Had to get a new car though because my previous one I've owned for 8 years got totaled. Was at a stoplight and got rear ended at 45mph causing my car to be sandwiched between the car in front of me and the guy who hit me. Most importantly I am 'a ok', but I was still sad to see my old car go. However, I couldn't be happier with my new car though! Went through this entire buying process alone and it was quite a stressful yet exciting learning experience!

photo-9.JPG.c775fad2f04e764231335d5d30c2ebbc.JPG

2015 428i Gran Coupe

^Wow looks great! I'm usually not a fan of white cars but for some reason I think most BMWs look great in white (including the 4 series). They're probably my favorite manufacturer overall (if we don't count those super expensive "dream cars"). It's also interesting to see how you got the 428i (yes, I know in the US almost everyone uses gasoline) as here everyone would go for the diesel (I think I've only ever seen a handful of gasoline 3 series and most of them were abroad).

Yea here in the states the only models they offer in Diesel is the 328 Sedan and Wagon, the 535, and the 740. Other than that, the rest of the gargantuan lineup of models are all gasoline. They do have the hybrids in the 3, 5, and 7, but they aren't that common from what I've seen.

Since I live in the perpetually traffic clogged area of Los Angeles, I just throw it into Eco-Pro mode if I'm looking to save a bit on gas. Although, I couldn't resist throwing it into Sport+ mode and taking it out for a late night joy ride on some winding canyon roads out near Malibu What a blast that was! haha

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I had a chance to drive my first electric car: a BMW i3. It was quite an interesting experience: first all the cars I had driven so far were manual (but then I've only had my license for a month and a half) so it was a bit odd to drive a car with no gears and only two pedals. Then the fact that it was very quiet and also the regenerative braking which means that many times you don't need the bake as the car decelerates a lot just by releasing the throttle. Probably my biggest surprise, though, was the acceleration: it was pretty good. I had heard electric motors can do this easily but only now did I actually experience it (and pretty well as the BMW guy was telling me to step on the gas often )

It's a shame these cars (at least here) are so expensive. This one starts from 38 000 euros while a similar sized petrol/diesel one would be around 20000. I guess we'll have to wait until the technology gets cheaper.

bmw-i3-electric-car-2014-01.jpg.0x545_q100_crop-scale.jpg.5d968791e57ce88efd49019f2b0888b2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just thinking, I wonder what kind of cars a bunch of coaster geeks drive? Did you guys name your car? How did it get its name? or do you have any good storys about your car? Lets hear them. lets see some photos of the hoopties and buckets or photos of your pride and joy.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a Honda Fit. I bought it new 2 1/2 years ago and it now has 115,000 miles on it because we travel all the time. It's nothing amazing but I like it. I'll probably buy another one when this one dies.

I don't name my car and I don't really have any good stories with it, sorry. Lol

I currently drive a red 2012 Fiat 500 Sport Edition.

Of the 17 cars I have owned it is by far the most fun to drive! Also, not having a car payment is a huge plus!! (It's a lot less stress not having the payment hanging over my head every month!)

Edited by DoinItForTheFame