TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks Creating Rides In-house

I don't think anybody's mentioned The Haunted Mansion, which is easily my personal favorite example. I know the props and effects were all done in-house, not sure about the ride system itself, but that's enough to count in my book.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the lines of what Robb said, Lagoon started looking around for a Compact Launched Coaster and couldn't find one they liked or was within their budget. Since the Park's Engineer, Dal Freeman, used to work in Arrow Dynamics as an Engineer, he developed the concept and design that became Wicked. Instead of tackling the entire Project by themselves, they enlisted Zierer. In the case of BomBora, Lagoon was looking around for a Family Coaster that offered a little more and decided to have Dal Freeman Design and Engineer the Ride. Lagoon's new "Mega Coaster" is already under construction and is being built in the same fashion as BomBora.

BomBora

Manufacturer: Lagoon Corporation

Designer: Dal Freeman (and Lagoon's Engineering Department)

Construction: Lagoon Corporation

Uprights and Track: Intermountain Lift, Inc.

Trains, Lift, Brakes, etc.: ART Engineering GmbH

Controls and Safety System: Actemium Controlmatic GmbH

Edited by linearinduction

Blazing Fury/Fire in the Hole were in house projects.

Not to mention the Flooded Mine (both parks), the waterboggins (both parks), Grandfather's Mansion/Inventor's Mansion, and past attractions such as the Gandy Dancer and Rube Dugin's Diving Bell at SDC. I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of attractions as well. I know both parks used to have lots of play structures and little side-attractions that were custom as well. The Silver Dollar City Company used to almost be seen as the Disney of the Midwest... Lots of interesting stories behind that era.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So far my only in-house-built coaster credit is Viper at SFGAm. I believe it was Six Flags' only in-house coaster, and they did a good job with it because it's a very fun coaster with lots of floater air. I guess it really depends on who and how it is made because Flying Turns at Knoebels took forever to get opened. I guess my opinion is that if they can make it a good ride, then I approve of it.

Blazing Fury/Fire in the Hole were in house projects.

Not to mention the Flooded Mine (both parks), the waterboggins (both parks), Grandfather's Mansion/Inventor's Mansion, and past attractions such as the Gandy Dancer and Rube Dugin's Diving Bell at SDC. I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of attractions as well. I know both parks used to have lots of play structures and little side-attractions that were custom as well. The Silver Dollar City Company used to almost be seen as the Disney of the Midwest... Lots of interesting stories behind that era.

The park technically wasn't Silver Dollar City yet, but the cable train in Marvel Cave was also designed and built in-house.

I'm totally okay with the construction of in-house rides...if the park knows how to design a good ride. Obviously companies are more skilled at it, so obviously if the company has no experience with designing a coaster then it's best to not do it. However, I've ridden Viper at SFGAm (my only in-house coaster I can come up with off the top of my head) and it is phenomenal.

Isn't the Calico Mine Train also built in-house? I know Bud Hurlbut collaborated with Arrow to design some rides, but I think this was independent from that. He had to sell his personal belongings and convince Walter Knott to suspend rent so he could have enough funds to complete the ride. Now it's literally a cornerstone in Knott's Berry Farm, and with the recent refurb, is running better than ever.

• 4 years later...
Isn't the Calico Mine Train also built in-house? I know Bud Hurlbut collaborated with Arrow to design some rides, but I think this was independent from that. He had to sell his personal belongings and convince Walter Knott to suspend rent so he could have enough funds to complete the ride. Now it's literally a cornerstone in Knott's Berry Farm, and with the recent refurb, is running better than ever.

Yes. His company built miniature trains and he built this ride himself since at the time Knott's was essentially a carnival. Vendors rented space from Knott's.

I have a feeling every haunted house walk through in China was homemade and they were awesome.

I'd agree with this, and a lot of the Japanese haunt houses and dark rides, too.

Homemade, a lot of times totally WTF, and very enjoyable, even though you understood nothing!

SteveC_13.jpg.a772c14a6b70f8127770bc714794ed5c.jpg

In a walk through haunt house, with mini-flashlights. Thanks SteveC for the pic of me. TPR 2007 Japan Tour.