TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^^

Well, that's unfortunate. Not only will this make lines longer, but it might make the ride a tad less intense (it's my understanding that longer trains usually make the ride a bit more intense). Well, at least I haven't heard of them trimming it.

Since it's a Six Flags park, this really doesn't surprise me.

I wonder why? Could it be structural reasons or maintenance? Well hope it doesn't affect te ride greatly

Also remember parks often only do this when the manufacturer instructed them to do so. It might not be all SF faukt

One thing's fore sure, the drop on the back car will not be quite as intense.

I am at the park today. Surprisingly full for a Sunday morning. Park opened at 11AM. When we arrived at 11:30, the first set of lots (up to the old gas station) were full, and the second set of lots (next to Titan) was nearly full. I'll post more as I can!

I was wondering why RMC always stay using 6 car trains instead of longer. Now NTaG is down to 5 If they want to reduce stress to the structure, why not just use the first and the last car of each train? There will be double stacking anyway and they can fit two trains in the station at the same time.

I always think reducing the length of the train is something for the old school coasters like Cyclops, Crystal Beach Cyclone or even Voyage(not exactly old school though), guess I'm wrong.

DAMMIT! I hadn't gotten to ride Ntag yet, and now I'm sure that when I finally get to, ALL that'll I'll hear afterwards will be "OMG it was SOOOOO much better with the longer trains!!11!one!!11"

....which is going to lead to a little part of me dying inside.

I have some friends who rode NTAG recently and told me it still great. It's been one less car for a few weeks now. They believed the last car was taken out because of a seat belt issue but I guess RMC requested it. Which is odd considering it's not their train to ask to modify. I know the park is constantly trying new things with NTAG to help capacity.

those RMC trains look awful, what are they like?

I love the RMC trains, both of them. They have great visibility, the restraints fit you in snugly but comfortably, and they do allow for some airtime (in Outlaw Run's case, lots and lots of it). They're also both very detailed and highly themed. I haven't ridden the Gerstlauer ones, as the last time I went to a Texas SF park was in 2004, but I do like the RMC trains. Except for cosmetic details, both OR's and Goliath's are identical.

While I really like Outlaw Run's trains, I think NTaG and iRat's train are so beautifully designed that they are at a completely different level of all the RMC remains so far. As for Goliath and Medusa's trains, the lead cars are shaped pretty weird because they seems too tall. Probably in my mind Outlaw Run's lead car has the right height for RMC lead cars

The park was way crowded yesterday for fright fest, so I only got one chance to ride NTAG. (We left at 3:15, and the whole parking lot was full all the way to the back lot next to Rangers Stadium...maybe 3-5 rows empty. Huge crowds still just arriving, entry in front of turnstiles was full) We rode front row, and I noticed little difference. Maybe -maybe- a smidge more airtime. But it's hard to tell when you're never in the seat anyway....

They were running the red and blue trains, both with only five cars. Operations weren't great but they weren't terrible either. I'd say maybe half to two thirds of the trains and stack but not always and usually only for just a few moments.

Anyone know if iRat lost a car also? Or are they RMC trains?

I have some pictures I took of the drained portion of roaring rapids and the construction area behind Adventure theater. I will post them when my boyfriend sends them to me from his phone

image.thumb.jpg.0ff3924b32a5c15fa3c4f223a0354dc6.jpg

The "zombie infestation maze was apparently originally scheduled for the Adventure Theater, as the park map has that listed as the location for this attraction. It is now actually in the back of the park where flashback and the bumper cars used to be.

image.thumb.jpg.5e65fc1eca5837ea3a3f1f600a3e9330.jpg

The wear pattern on the track is interesting. I'm curious how long the paint will last...

image.thumb.jpg.4e891cb41a8f0cdd27255570eb636cc6.jpg

Maybe I'm losing my mind but it feels like they've repainted some of this wall in front of the DC comics store...

image.thumb.jpg.e27bc401740c3c93841b08f972d22748.jpg

Personally, I'm not usually a huge fan of the cheesecloth spiderwebs. They look tacky and cheap to me. This, however looked really good

image.thumb.jpg.8baae3c0a9711d9bc3474875e086306c.jpg

More of the pretty legitimate cheesecloth spiderwebs

Just in case anyone hadn't read this yet, here's another update of the lawsuit between Six Flags and Gerstlauer.

LINK

I read that earlier and if what Gerstlauer saying is true about the seatbelt anchors being pre-installed with the ride and SF chose to not install the actual belts and buckles that makes SF look pretty bad for not installing them in the first place and then right after the accident when the ride was shut down they go ahead and install them.

Just in case anyone hadn't read this yet, here's another update of the lawsuit between Six Flags and Gerstlauer.

LINK

I read that earlier and if what Gerstlauer saying is true about the seatbelt anchors being pre-installed with the ride and SF chose to not install the actual belts and buckles that makes SF look pretty bad for not installing them in the first place and then right after the accident when the ride was shut down they go ahead and install them.

They must have edited the article, because now there is no mention of pre-installed seatbelt anchors... >_>

Here are the additional photos I took from the Oil Derrick. I wish there was more to see, sadly not.

IMG_8411.thumb.JPG.675323c4a359b01252d0268a862a4ad7.JPG

View from the Oil Derrick towards Adventure Theatre. You can see that not much has happened recently with construction "out back"

IMG_8412.thumb.jpg.6d0dc2f3d500ee0168d02cf359ddf223.jpg

Closer view of the expansion of Adventure Theatre. Or...the Former Adventure Theatre? How long are we going to continue to call it that? I guess until the new ride opens? Also, I have a screencap of Google Maps Satellite view below for comparison, as the satellite shot was conveniently taken when the ride was mostly drained. -- In other news, this shot was taken from the same location as the previous photo. I was using an iPhone 6, just zoomed the shot in a bit. Pretty amazing clarity and focus really...

IMG_8413.thumb.jpg.19aa43e945444ef47b4229998c630518.jpg

Some of Roaring Rapids still had water covering the bottom...this was the only area that was truly exposed, a lot of the back half of the course was somewhat filled with water still...

IMG_8414.thumb.jpg.1bacd7ea28fb09a73e58e1f18970595f.jpg

This was just a bit further along the ride, you can see the station still along the left side there, also please disregard the odd white corners, was trying to peek the camera out of the guardrails of the Oil Derrick.

1322308447_ScreenShot2014-10-13at5_16_17PM.png.e35fba12e789dc36ed2a6b223d4498cb.png

You can see here the Roaring Rapids/Adventure theatre area, before the holding pond was emptied for construction. To be perfectly clear, this is a screengrab of Google Satellite View. Not my photo.