TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Somewhat of a trip report slash Fright Fest info for you guys.

Saturday (9/27)

First day of Fright Fest was packed as I suspected. The park looked jammed during the day by the time we showed up at around 6. But those people just got replaced by people coming in. I would be guessing that this will be typical of all Fright Fest Saturdays. First ride knocked out was the SkyScreamer. Not a terrible ride especially when you get knocked around by the wind up top. We spent about an hour in line starting from under the shelter. I would say this is a one time thing really to say I did it. Not much to say at the mine train besides a short line, of course these things are always awesome in the dark. Took the train to get to the other side of the park. Again nothing to note besides the fact they were running one train. Next we knocked out the Texas Giant. Spoiler alert if you have ridden the Rattler then you may be disappointed in the Giant if you expecting the same type ride. I would (and did) ride it again as long as the line is short but not if it is long. I do appreciate they kept most of the track layout unlike later renovations. Wait time was around 50 from the arrival breaks. Final ride of the night was Titan. It's an under appreciated coaster that doesn't get as much attention as Goliath does despite being longer, faster, and taller. The extra helix before the brake run is a force to be reckoned with. Wait time was about 35 from the middle of the forth switch back before the flash pass cutoff.

Overall, the crowds are thick on the path but ride lines are not to bad. Ride ops to no surprise were very slow most of the time. But everything was running at an acceptable capacity. (i.e. Running multiple trains) If it gives you an idea, we were in the park for just under 4 and half hours and got 4 rides in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm glad your experience was better, I don't typically EVER go on Saturday's as I know better. But frankly my g/f and I didn't have anything better to do so we went out there about 5 pm...you talk of let down riding the Rattler and going on TG. I wen't to Cedar Point last weekend LMAO. I basically did the order you did, we went to Sky Screamer and waited about 50 minutes, then over to the TG and that was almost an hour. Titan...I go probably 12-15 times a year and this was BY FAR my worst experience in waiting in line for Titan, especially after having the luxury of CP staff that actually got people on the trains and off very quickly. We waited almost 2 hours!! and the line wasn't even that long! It never experienced any break downs, I started timing the ride ops and they were averaging over 4 minutes per train! It was stupid slow...

A mini trip report from Saturday, we live in Canada so I wanted to get the most of the park as I could, and when we arrived the parking lot was JAMMGED. So, I bought a platinum flash pass. I was going to get the gold, but didn't know how long the lines for New Texas Giant would be, and only the platinum has New Texas Giant (And skyscreamer) on it. We never really rode any rides twice in a row without getting off. I would say it was some of the best money I've ever spent. The lines seemed really long (especially during the day time for the 'water rides.') I think the lines were long because the ride ops just seem really really horrible. We got in about 25 rides during the day.

I've really only been to the huge parks (Both disneys, seaworlds, universal studios) Based on the ride ops at those parks, the six flags over Texas ride ops seemed like they were brand new on the job.

-Superman: We'd have our ride restraints checked, rechecked, and checked a third time. Then we'd sit for another couple minutes, then they'd start the ride. (I really enjoyed superman, so we did it a few times) It seemed some of the ride ops had their shit together as after we sat on the first tower for a minute, they started loading the second tower (only had 2 out of 3 running) and the second tower launched wayyy ahead of us--despite being loaded after us.

-New Texas Giant: Fucking awesome ride. My girlfriend really loved it, which was great as it was really our first woody. Again, the ride ops were doing a shit tastic job. I didn't time anything, but each train must have been at least a few minute wait. It got even worse when they had large people try and ride. I saw a very large man try to ride, and they 'checked' his restraints 5 times and it wouldn't close fully. Give up after the second fucking try, he's to big. Our next time on, a very large woman was trying to ride. Again, they checked several times and it obviously wouldn't lock. Give up, get em off the train and keep the lines moving.

Titan: I really liked Titan. GF would experience slight loss of sight in some of the high G sections. Again though, shitty ride ops. The second train would arrive back at the station before they even started checking the restraints on the first train. Someone before us had hurled which shut Titan down for a good 25 minutes. They unloaded the train, then sent it through empty. The second train arrived, which they sent through empty as well. When the puke train got back, they spent a good 10 minutes rubbing the seat down with bleach and stuff. I understand they want to get it clean, and I defiantly wouldn't want to sit on a puke seat but honestly a good spray and rub down with bleach and that's about the best it's going to get. Massaging the same spot for 3 minutes won't get it any cleaner. After bleaching the everlasting life out of that seat they sent that train though again--empty. Then they finally started loading the trains.

La Vibrator my skull: Shit fucking ride. Extremely rough in the 'brake' sections. Rode once and that once was all I need in my life time.

Shock Wave: Ban and lock. Needs some major TLC. Rode once, never want to again.

SkyScreamer: Meh, ok ride.

Batman: Seemed pretty rough. Rode once seemed like enough. They seemed to be having major issues with the restraints had to recheck rows 3 and 4 on each train multiple times before they were good to go.

Mr Freeze: Loved it. Short but intense. Ride ops sucked, on one side at least. (The side we were on launched 3 trains before the other side launched one) Didn't seem to be having issues, they were just sitting around doing.. nothing.

Pandemonium: Rode once, ok ride.

Runaway Mountain: Fun in the dark, but needs some major TLC. Was pretty darn rough.

Rode most of the other rides but nothing really seemed outstanding in a good way or bad.

If you planned on going to the park to ride NTAG or SkyScream, you'll want to revise your plans. Both rides were damaged during Thursday's severe storms that saw straight line winds hitting 100mph in the Arlington area and ripped a roof off a college dorm. A few miles North where I am we only saw 85mph winds. :/

Flying trees, not cows, made there way across the area.

Okay I have a question since I just found out that I'm coming from wichita to here for my birthday on the thirteenth. I am a bit obese and was wondering if I will fit in Texas giant, I fit in BM rides and the gerstlauer spinners, I saw on. Video about the death that the ride was for 180pd riders but I am 200 and 5'7. I'm just wondering. I also fit in outlaw run and the gci trains

If you planned on going to the park to ride NTAG or SkyScream, you'll want to revise your plans. Both rides were damaged during Thursday's severe storms that saw straight line winds hitting 100mph in the Arlington area and ripped a roof off a college dorm. A few miles North where I am we only saw 85mph winds. :/

Flying trees, not cows, made there way across the area.

That's nasty. Any details?

I also had another question I forgot to put up there, do they let you choose seats now, because last I heard they had one line and the trains slowly moved through the station and you got on where the line ended.

It has more to do with your bodies shape than it does your weight. If you have large thighs or a REALLY big belly then you probably cant go on. If you don't fit those two categories your fine.

I also had another question I forgot to put up there, do they let you choose seats now, because last I heard they had one line and the trains slowly moved through the station and you got on where the line ended.

I believe that was a test a few years ago that failed. When I rode it last December, we were able to choose where we wanted to sit. And unless they changed their policy, single riders are not allowed in the last row of any coaster.

It has more to do with your bodies shape than it does your weight. If you have large thighs or a REALLY big belly then you probably cant go on. If you don't fit those two categories your fine.

My thighs are of a decent size not big but they can squish quite a bit lol

My thighs are of a decent size not big but they can squish quite a bit lol

It really is hit-and miss regarding whether the restraint will "lock" into place. Without actually physically trying the test seat (or the real deal) it's hard to say. I would hazard a guess, however, that if you fit pretty comfortably in the Gerstlaur spinner coasters (e.g. Pandemonium) you're probably going to fit NTAG.

Okay good, I just didn't know if the gerstlauer trains were more restrictive than the RMC ones. Last thing, doesn't it have a shin bar

Edit- never mind, I found that it does

The front row of each car has shin guards; the back rows do not.