TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Honestly I've never had a problem with Demon. Maybe it's because I've been riding it since the late 80s and know how to brace myself accordingly.

This.

But I feel for everyone else. You shouldn't have to know when to brace to avoid pain. Given it's layout and history, it stands up as a great family coaster for those parents who want to break their kids into inversions. Albeit, it's a painful experience for some, but wasn't your first attempts at walking just as bad?

In all honestly I don't think it's in the parks best interest to remove it, but then again, it's probably more costly to refurbish the track than to replace the ride when you're talking about the bottom line $$$. Sure a new ride would be a lot more money, but in the long run it would pay for itself in ridership and promotion for the park as a whole. The demon is an icon of the park. It stays.

And that's the bottom line, because laqueefa says so.

The talk of vortex leaving got me thinking about what could be done with that space. Since the former location of Invertigo is still a lawn, and I assume the strip where Tidal Wave was is still basically empty, I wonder if you could make a much longer coaster that basically combines the areas of the three. They were all more or less adjacent to each other...

Hey, I'm allowed to dream of some Maverick-like multi-launch coaster going there, aren't I?

I will say the Grizzly is much better than it was before the retracking, and that effort implies it's not going anywhere soon. My attitude towards Demon is similar to others, I've been riding it for 15+ years, so maybe I just know how to brace myself. I find Vortex much more uncomfortable, and it's soooo short (at the park last Sunday a little kid in the row behind me shouted to his friends when the train pulled into the station "is it over? Was that it?!"). It would be nice for some announcement from CF about some kind of improvement coming next year, although really Goldy is the reason I get a pass, and that's unlikely to change...

The talk of vortex leaving got me thinking about what could be done with that space. Since the former location of Invertigo is still a lawn, and I assume the strip where Tidal Wave was is still basically empty, I wonder if you could make a much longer coaster that basically combines the areas of the three. They were all more or less adjacent to each other...

Hey, I'm allowed to dream of some Maverick-like multi-launch coaster going there, aren't I?

I will say the Grizzly is much better than it was before the retracking, and that effort implies it's not going anywhere soon. My attitude towards Demon is similar to others, I've been riding it for 15+ years, so maybe I just know how to brace myself. I find Vortex much more uncomfortable, and it's soooo short (at the park last Sunday a little kid in the row behind me shouted to his friends when the train pulled into the station "is it over? Was that it?!"). It would be nice for some announcement from CF about some kind of improvement coming next year, although really Goldy is the reason I get a pass, and that's unlikely to change...

Yes. It would be amazing to see a launched coaster, as that is what the park needs (hint hint!), and a Maverick-like coaster could definitely fit there. But apparently Vortex is "not rumored to leave." Well, now it is. A longer coaster using the three spaces would be great.

There's no way Grizzly's leaving. Demon, I honestly wouldn't care if it stayed or left. But sooner or later it will have to leave. But I do see the things you're saying. I have learned to deal with the pain, but it's getting progressively worse. Maintenance please!

Vortex SUCKS. Let's face it. It's been going downhill for a while. I know people still like it, but it still isn't that great of a ride.

I shouldn't be like this on a coaster . I should be more like this .

It (new for 2015) is probably some new plant or building remodel. Heck, if they got a new restaurant, it wouldn't surprise me. Unfortunately, with all the new stuff for Haunt, I just don't see a new ride in the budget for GA. But if there is a new ride, it had BETTER be a launched coaster.

Much like Demon and especially Kong, Vortex is not that bad if you brace yourself correctly. Ideally and on newer rides you shouldn't have to, but it takes very little effort to make all of these rides painless.

I don't think any coasters at either Northern California park are going anywhere any time soon. Grizzly is probably the least popular of the bunch and although I don't think it's in danger of moving soon, I'd have to guess CF has thought about it considering they now have another far superior woodie. Yes Grizzly always has a line but thats just because it takes a half hour to dispatch a freakin train - and this is more the reason I would think they'd be apt to remove it. Not because it's supposedly boring or unpopular, but because I think it's outdated and no longer an effective use of the space it occupies.

^ All that just my opinion though, I don't pretend to have any inside knowledge.

Unfortunately, the Grizz isnt going anywhere. They've been spending money retracking the ride, and remains one of their signature family coasters. Vortex on the other hand, not so much. When is the last time this ride got some love? Get rid of it!

Unfortunately, the Grizz isnt going anywhere. They've been spending money retracking the ride, and remains one of their signature family coasters. Vortex on the other hand, not so much. When is the last time this ride got some love? Get rid of it!

Why unfortunately? It has gotten better in recent years. I would be upset to see it go, but it won't happen for a long time. Why does that make it an "unfortunate event for you?

Why unfortunately? It has gotten better in recent years. I would be upset to see it go, but it won't happen for a long time. Why does that make it an "unfortunate event for you?

It's unfortunate because no matter how much you retrack it, its not going to be a thrilling ride. Its pretty boring IMO. Could the park use the space for another world class coaster? SURE! Would they get rid of such an iconic family coaster? NOPE! The unfortunateness is leaking from every pore of this post. Oozing, almost.

This post is moist.

I rode Vortex 5 times in a day because there was no line, and I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't that painful at all.

My issue isn't so much that it's painful, as it is that it's short and boring

Although it does help make the others more fun if you don't ride Gold Striker first (when I was there a week or so ago, I actually thought Grizzly was not only less rough, but also more thrilling, maybe the retracking sped it up?). Really I just wish they had another new exciting coaster, and taking out Vortex to do that seems to make the most sense if they can use the Tidal wave stretch and Invertigo lawn to expand it (which may not be possible for other reasons).

It's unfortunate because no matter how much you retrack it, its not going to be a thrilling ride. Its pretty boring IMO. Could the park use the space for another world class coaster? SURE! Would they get rid of such an iconic family coaster? NOPE! The unfortunateness is leaking from every pore of this post. Oozing, almost.

This post is moist.

Whoa there! I think calling Grizzly "iconic" is a bit of a stretch.

Probably just jelous Rob can fit in a GCI woodie.

Mini Update:

So, I planned on doing a trip report showcasing the new Pavilion but with a heavy heart our company picnic was moved to the Picnic Grove towards the back side of the park.

While I do like it from the back...

...I would have much rather drank my face off in their new digs and documented it all for you.

There were a lot of companies holding their own parties on the same day (I think I counted 12). The parking lot looked full, but lines were SHORT (even for a Saturday). My girlfriend and I marathon rode Flight Deck 6 times in a row. I think the longest we waited for a ride was 5min and the line never stretched passed the first turn from the queues stairwell. Two train operation with stacking. Gold Striker also ran a two train operation with stacking. Goldie had all its switchbacks in use but our longest wait had to be 20min. That wait time was NOT consistent. We had one ride that was basically a walk on, and the last ride we walked all the way to the middle of the tunnel before waiting. I was pleased to see how well the park was looking (in prep for the upcoming Haunt). Paint was being updated on buildings and the park throughout, and most (if not all) of the queue graffiti I had seen on my last visit was removed!

Lets get to the pics!

005.thumb.JPG.7945dfcd239c875b45836ef6f817f3fc.JPG

This is as close as I was getting to the new Pavilion

006.thumb.JPG.fd17bbee95c757a4d63577fc2712e533.JPG

The landscaping at the Main Gates looks vibrant!

009.thumb.JPG.3bfbbc083b1a3e37076c2b4e89a53444.JPG

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for some coasters!

013.thumb.JPG.eebf446e8031b43dbca2f1548dc7a177.JPG

Oh, hello Goldie!

015.thumb.JPG.2f6ab4b93660006dad1c46aca88b1ac7.JPG

Someone must have know my breath was in need of some freshening up. They were nice enough to leave me some gum! SO THOUGHTFUL!

017.thumb.JPG.878f561d192eb8a3bca8eae4bd0d4c41.JPG

New paint for the Goldie queue is sexy!

018.thumb.JPG.2221e744b59f36ed2edf38fe4a4b66a3.JPG

Graffiti be gone!!!

020.thumb.JPG.feed93ef4d71c1ff6e26fcdbc6ddcb4c.JPG

The line is moving fast!

021.thumb.JPG.e427f8ede9e86b0213b64849358ef828.JPG

Loving the lack of graffiti in the queue, but hating the lack of new Instagram & Twitter accounts to troll...

024.thumb.JPG.fa4dbdf1d021f7aef4413f4b027633eb.JPG

I spoke too soon :(

025.thumb.JPG.16f8ace6957fb3d43e9cfff4b42952d3.JPG

Operations be operatin! A little touch up goes a long way and keeps the park beautiful.

026.thumb.JPG.9e388b8ec9025d7fdaa60f6d4f0b6614.JPG

The park is gearing up for its annual Haunt, or its really trying to look like New Orleans post Hurricane.... too soon?

027.thumb.JPG.1f764e8b4c5b5ee97bd2a902b5acd8ef.JPG

This Jack in the Box refused to take my order! All I want is an Ultimate Cheeseburger, dammit!

028.thumb.JPG.75204d39c8ad4cb5af2a300b42ee6c44.JPG

Hey look everybody! The back side of the new Pavilion. This unfortunately is where we got turned away and redirected.

029.thumb.JPG.b9442b3ac21923f78b9794887455b7b9.JPG

"Your picnic is in the back of the park"... Sounds like a good opportunity to ride Delta Flyer/Eagle's Flight

033.thumb.JPG.207d432a928673f7489244a60094c292.JPG

We love green things in Northern California ;)

039.thumb.JPG.9d25da455e40895df036988ac8288d38.JPG

Firefall has had consistent FX's all season. Now if they could only get it to flip more or flip at all for that matter!

040.thumb.JPG.816ba661a7688090f83622577dba3857.JPG

I want to fly like an Eagle, to the sea! Fly like an Eagle let my spirit carry me!

045.thumb.JPG.147007ee4379ac4004cf378b2c68d457.JPG

This ride delivers every time! Short lines and fast operations make my nipples hard.

046.thumb.JPG.edf9b4ec987145a021ec9f1386e43a69.JPG

The kids in bucket 7 are either tagging or making out.

057.thumb.JPG.c8ccf71df1bb840f83fc68d1cf1a54eb.JPG

The crew from 8x8 Inc had a blast and cleared 36 beers! CHEERS, TPR!