TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

My gosh. Is there anyone else out there that is even remotely excited about this? Maybe everyone else's expectations were set too high, but I knew that it was not going to be a complete teardown and rebuilding. Would it be nicer if we had gotten a little more? Absolutely. But for now, I'm excited that we're getting this, and I'll be thankful for it.

I'm excited as well.

My gosh. Is there anyone else out there that is even remotely excited about this? Maybe everyone else's expectations were set too high, but I knew that it was not going to be a complete teardown and rebuilding. Would it be nicer if we had gotten a little more? Absolutely. But for now, I'm excited that we're getting this, and I'll be thankful for it.

Amen to that brother! Look, this is what they are adding new this year. This is only a concept drawing at this point. We won't really know what the slide tower will consist of entirely until we see it. As for the kids area I actually think it's pretty good. Some of the kids play area's I've seen can get way to out of hand and after a couple of seasons a lot of the sprays and water feature's etc. don't work anymore. Plus it looks like they will be able to add a lot more lounge seating. If I look at this right it looks like the entrance is going to be moved to between the two new additions freeing up space for something where the old entrance path was. We also need to remember that over the off season last year Valleyfair added a lot of new things and really spruced the park up all which was not officially announced. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made some big changes to the existing slides we now have. They don't have to tell us everything they are doing. They just told us what was new. I still think they have more plans for Soak City down the road. From what I can see in the drawing. I'm guessing that just the new additions are going to cost somewhere between 9 and 10 million. As a reference, Route 76 was in the 3 million range. So take that with I'm sure another 1 to 3 million in other improvements and I think Valleyfair did a pretty good job. Besides we need to remember it's Cedar Fair that makes the final decisions, not Valleyfair!

I am going to be meeting with Mr. Frazier again in the next few weeks. I'll try to get some more information to share with you about what coming for 2015 and beyond!

THIS IS GOOD PEOPLE! This expansion will probably bring a jump of 20 to 30 percent in attendance. Soak City at Valleyfair was soooo far behind that it may take 2 or 3 expansions to get it to where it should be but for now let's enjoy what we have.

This is pathetic. A couple new speed slides and lame kiddy area #2. Mt. Olympus put more effort into their kiddy area than this! No mat racers, no big raft slides. Look at Dorney Park's Snake Pit: I thought we'd get a minimum of that, we didn't even get the whole package! Guess we're not meant for a nice ride afterall.

One other thing CaptainUnknown, please don't ever compare Mt. Olympus to Valleyfair! That park is absolutely pathetic. The only good thing it has going for is Poseiden's Rage. I would choose Valleyfair every time!

Am I allowed to post that I'm not surprised they went on the cheap as this IS Valleyfair after all or do I still have to pretend that I buy into the whole "VF is going to get $$$$$$$$$$ to get lots of stuff because Ouimet said so quite awhile ago"?

I disagree with Valleyfair going cheap! Since when is adding two new waterpark additions cheap. Most of the time they add only one thing at a time. Name another water park expansion that is adding two new major addition. Canada's Wonderland maybe but it there any others?

Am I allowed to post that I'm not surprised they went on the cheap as this IS Valleyfair after all or do I still have to pretend that I buy into the whole "VF is going to get $$$$$$$$$$ to get lots of stuff because Ouimet said so quite awhile ago"?

Sure, go right ahead. I was waiting to see what they were going to do with the water park expansion to see how serious CF was going to be with VF being a 'growth park'. With this announcement obviously it is not that serious and I am disappointed overall. I actually like the new slide complex over a Snake Pit because it looks much more thrilling and even I will go on that next year and get me back in the water park for the first time since the 90's. But the kiddie area is very underwhelming, local cities around the Twin Cities are better than that by far. With the removal of IMAX and Hydroblaster and possibly the old picnic patio I expected more. This is OK but not that exciting. If they would have also added a Tornado, or expanded the lazy river, or made a better kiddie area I might have been 'Wowed' but this just seems like they are just keeping pace to be average again. If they would have added a flat, removed the amphitheater or restored the carousel in addition to this expansion I would be much more excited but it just looks like CF went on the cheap with VF again. Just once I wish the park would get something thing that would make you go "OMFG I cannot wait to go and ride that!". This just does not inspire me to renew my season pass but I probably will one more year to support CF and see if they bring a coaster the following year. The good news is it does improve the water park (not very hard to do when your last in the chain) and it will be easily marketable and probably draw in more attendance which is good for the park and their ROI which is what CF is after at the end of the day. I think Looty summed it up the best in his post:

In an industry that continues to grow and innovate, VF hasn't knocked any socks off since 1996. And to say that these waterpark additions are better than nothing is complete BS. Nowadays, people expect more and it's quite easy to take a look on the internet and see where else you could go and spend your money...in this case 3 hours east on 94 to visit some real waterparks. These new slides look like something Noah's Ark would have built 10 years ago.

It has been discussed so much about how VF is 1 of 3 parks slated for blah blah blah....and this is just not impressive at all.

"

I am starting to get sick and tired of reading all of the complaints about these parks that put something new in. No matter what no one (as it seems) is happy.

If you all hate the addition so much, build your own amusement park, with exactly what you want.

I for one love this addition. Would it be could to see a large addition, sure. However, we got a much needed addition and it looks awesome!!

I am starting to get sick and tired of reading all of the complaints about these parks that put something new in. No matter what no one (as it seems) is happy.

If you all hate the addition so much, build your own amusement park, with exactly what you want.

I for one love this addition. Would it be could to see a large addition, sure. However, we got a much needed addition and it looks awesome!!

I know. It's easy for a lot of us to overlook the big picture sometimes, and just focus on what specific things mean to getting a new coaster.

Overall, any addition to VF is welcome, and can only help the park. And anything that is more of an attraction for the GP is good to increase attendance, and with increased attendance means a greater chance of us getting that new coaster.

I think the difference in reaction is this:

Route 76, we weren't expecting much and got something decent.

Soak City Expansion, all the rumors led us to expect something spectacular and we got something decent.

I think with Route 76 we got a good new ride in Northern Lights, brought back a popular old ride (Antique Autos) that is all new and integrated with NL plus a refurbed Scrambler and Tilt-O Whirl. All this together brought life to a desolate area for the park with more room for flat expansions if they decide to do so.

With the Soak City expansion all the park got was a slide package (which I do like and think will be popular) and an underwhelming kid area (at least per the supplied artwork) that can be easily beat by local city water parks. With the removal of IMAX, Hydroblaster and possibly the old dining patio I just think most people were expecting more and that is why we are seeing more negative reaction. To me this expansion does not say "Growth Park", it just says "Were just trying the keep up with everyone else and nothing more." Of course I like anything new added to the park but this was not enough to get me that excited, Route 76 was better in my view.

If your getting sick and tired of opinions or complaints I would stay away from the internet if I were you. No thanks on building my own park, too much time to raise all that capital plus the time and headaches to build and run the place. As always I will just vote with my dollar and reward parks that already have what I want. Unfortunately that is rides and attractions that VF rarely gets but most CF, Six Flags and Herschend parks already have.

After thinking about it, I think that VF will be having another waterpark expansion in the next few years. Even though I'm pretty excited about this expansion, the waterpark needs a bit more to it before it can really be considered an overall "good" waterpark. Another reason why I think that is because Carowinds got a waterpark expansion for 2014, they're getting Fury 325 for next year, they've already hinted at a new "splash" for 2016, and we're marked for expansion like Carowinds. I think it will probably happen in 2017 or 2018, but I wouldn't be surprised if comes in 2016. Hopefully 2016 is the year for the new coaster, but I'll be willing to wait an extra year if it means we'll get a good coaster. I think that our 2015 addition bumps up Soak City from "bad" to "decent", but another eventual expansion could make it a lot better.

Edited by VF15

This is ridiculous. Why are you all complaining?! The new slide complex looks awesome! And it says on the website that the barefoot beach area spans almost to an acre. It probably just looks small in the render. This is just like any other waterpark expansion that Carowinds or Canada's Wonderland or kings dominion, did you expect them to tear it down and build from the ground up? Stop complaining and be happy we didn't get "general improvements". We got Route 76 last year and this very welcoming waterpark expansion this year. Our time will come for a new coaster. Most likely 2016. We have gotten nice additions for 2 years now, so they are definitely putting money into our park. This may not look that appealing to you coaster enthusiasts, but the GP is going to love it, and Valleyfair will continue to expand. Just give it time.

This is ridiculous. Why are you all complaining?! The new slide complex looks awesome! And it says on the website that the barefoot beach area spans almost to an acre. It probably just looks small in the render. This is just like any other waterpark expansion that Carowinds or Canada's Wonderland or kings dominion, did you expect them to tear it down and build from the ground up? Stop complaining and be happy we didn't get "general improvements". We got Route 76 last year and this very welcoming waterpark expansion this year. Our time will come for a new coaster. Most likely 2016. We have gotten nice additions for 2 years now, so they are definitely putting money into our park. This may not look that appealing to you coaster enthusiasts, but the GP is going to love it, and Valleyfair will continue to expand. Just give it time.

This.

Plus, I thought I'd point out that we're starting to get yearly additions instead of every other year like in the past.

2007: Renegade

2008: Nothing

2009: Wave Pool

2010: Nothing

2011: Planet Snoopy (which was $11 million, more expensive than Wild Thing)

2012: Nothing

2013: Dinosaurs Alive

2014: Route 76

2015: Slide Complex and Kids' Play Area

I think that annual additions show that CF is paying more attention to VF. They may not be very expensive additions, but it at least shows that something is going on.

Also, keep in mind that we had a lot of other nice improvements made over the past offseason (new Ferris Wheel lights, better speaker system, FunTV, etc.) More of those taking place this offseason are a valid possibility in my opinion. It would not surprise me if we hear about something else like a carousel refurbishment in the middle of February.

^Thank you! And guys, it's not like Valleyfair is gonna go 20 years without a new coaster, many things needed to be addressed before that happens. Like the area by steel venom and the waterpark. Now that those are done and many other improvements were made, I think we will see our new coaster in 2016. I'm putting money on it.

I just confirmed, I will be meeting Mr. Frazier on September 27th! I asked about some of your concerns and he just said we will talk then

By the way did you know that the current panic falls is only 35 ft. tall according the VF's website. The new drop slides are 90 ft. tall. That's nearly as tall as Excalibur or Renegade. There's a thought to chew on!

This may or may not be the case since these renderings are never 100% accurate, but it looks like the entrance to Soak City might be moving over to near Mad Mouse. That's another improvement you could add to the list. Since they're doing this, that could be a sign that they want to reroute the problematic turn near where Barefoot Beach is going. However, that's more of something that I just want. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

image.jpg.c2df79d0f64f09cecff8396647052591.jpg

Possible rerouted walkways?

^This is a perfect example!!!!! WOF is the bigger park than VF, is it not? And WE are getting more expansion than them! They are making VF a growth park, you all are just let down because you thought that they were going to redo the whole soak city.

Please stop, WOF's water park is much bigger and better than VF's already so it did not need much. They got their slide package last year also so 'Big Deal' if we are getting more than them just this year. Take a look at all they have compared to VF for a park that is similar in size. https://www.worldsoffun.com/things-to-do/oceans-of-fun

I will say VF's slide package looks much more thrilling though so I am happy the park chose this one. Just expected a little more. VF can still arguably be the worst water park in the chain even after this expansion.