Photo TR: 2014 TPR Scandi Trip!

Last Park of the trip: Linnanmaki now on Page 26 (9/22/15)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Photo TR: 2014 TPR Scandi Trip!

Postby RCjunkie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:57 am

Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. Nothing can beat a gorilla water skiing behind an alligator. :) I have never been on a Mega-Lite but I am going to ask the question that has been asked before on these boards, why are there not more of these types of coasters in America? They look like mini-Maverick's and a boat load of fun. They don't take up a huge foot print, they are not over 125 feet tall so they must be a lot cheaper than hypers, everyone who rides one raves about them and they are made my Intamin. I cannot come up with a good reason why US parks don't have a few more of these around, especially medium to small sized parks.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby booink » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:26 am

^I believe there's none because, a) neither Six Flags or Cedar Fair buys coasters from Intamin anymore, and b) they can't make good marketing because it doesn't beat any pointless world record. Two good reasons for American parks to not buy these coasters. Maybe after KK built Lightning Run we *might* see some smaller or not chain-owned parks build some ?
Favorites :
Steel : Maverick, Wicked Cyclone, Superman: the ride (SFNE)
Wood : El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racers
Total coaster count : 137

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:10 am

Is Piraten's tunnel new? I don't remember the ride having a tunnel back in 2009.

Great photos, Jake.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I can't say I was a huge fan of Juvelen. It wasn't a bad ride by any means but it didn't blow my mind as much as it seemed to have done to a lot of people. I remember at a lot of the parks we visited before Djurs they were all talking about how amazing Juvelen was and Piraten had almost been forgotten.

Great photos again Jake. Cant wait to see the rest!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:03 pm

^Piraten is definitely the better coaster for sure. I considered Juvelen to be an excellent family ride, but it wasn't particularly intense. Of the Intamin motocoasters Jet Rescue feels more forceful, even though it's much shorter.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 pm

cfc wrote:Is Piraten's tunnel new? I don't remember the ride having a tunnel back in 2009.

Yes, it did back in 2009. I remember, Chuck.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 am

booink wrote:^I believe there's none because, a) neither Six Flags or Cedar Fair buys coasters from Intamin anymore, and b) they can't make good marketing because it doesn't beat any pointless world record. Two good reasons for American parks to not buy these coasters. Maybe after KK built Lightning Run we *might* see some smaller or not chain-owned parks build some ?

SF does buy large drop towers from Intamin (Zumanjaro/Lex Luthor) and has installed small Intamin coasters (GL:FF) not too long ago.

How about parks learn to tell the GP that - GASP - a ride can be intense without being massive?

Here are some reasons that a Mega-Lite has not been built in the US in my opinion-

-Capacity - 820pph is not that good.
-Size - Unfortunately, some people would believe that a Mega-Lite is a scaled-up kiddie coaster.
-Cost - I believe that Mega-Lites are fairly expensive for their size. This is why that park in France went with Mack to build a Mega-Lite near-clone. It's also probably how Chance markets their Lightning Run-style models - those seem cheaper than Intamin.
-Intensity - This is a MASSIVE load of crap to me, but allegedly, some parks in the US purposely clamp down on ride intensity. The most painfully (literally painfully to some) obvious example is SFMM's Green Lantern, which was allegedly balanced to keep it upright. Its sibling in Sweden is considered better by many enthusiasts.

Of course, size and intensity are the characteristics of the Mega-Lite. Cost, well, I hope Intamin tries to cheapen this ride.

As for capacity, switch track dual stations would be quite chaotic and not very efficient with 3 trains. So I propose an extended ending (extra bunny hill) to give room for a double-section station (load in front, unload in back.) Blocking would work almost identically to Millenium Force.

Another idea - what if there was an Accelerator Mega-Lite? Same layout, just a hydraulic launch (or maybe LSM) instead of the cable lift. The train exits the launch at the same speed, you know how this would go.

By the way, if a Mega-Lite was built in the US, would it have T-bars or a different restraint system?
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Update time!

After our amazing day at Djurs Sommerland, we headed back to our base camp in Arhus to visit Tivoli Friheden. Now, the park was closed this day (it was a Thursday) but Robb and Elissa arranged for the park to open for us. Not only did they open all of the coasters, but tons of other attractions as well! While the rides were not the best, the ops were awesome and we managed to have a great visit. On to the photos!
01.JPG
Arriving at Tivoli Friheden!
02.JPG
Have I mentioned how we have had perfect weather almost the entire trip??
03.JPG
The first stop of the night was the spinning mouse.
04.JPG
Enjoy your ride guys!
05.JPG
Here we go
06.JPG
A preview of what's to come...
07.JPG
Big drop fun!
08.JPG
Always thought this part of these rides was funky.
09.JPG
Apparently spinning mice make you punch your mother!
10.JPG
Luckily we did not spin and puke too much.
11.JPG
Here goes nothing...
12.JPG
It looks so innocent, right? ;)
13.JPG
Good luck guys!
14.JPG
I heard screams. Lots of screams. Of pleasure or of pain?
15.JPG
They look way too excited for this.
16.JPG
We even were good sports and rode multiple times so everyone could get their credit (minimum rider count needed). It wasn't really THAT bad!
17.JPG
The next torture device.
18.JPG
That's a small turn into the drop.
19.JPG
This is what death looks like
20.JPG
Coathanger, anyone?
21.JPG
It looks like we have a pirate ship enthusiast on our hands :)
22.JPG
The final coaster of the night
23.JPG
It's actually a unique wacky worm. Somewhere Rick Mathews is giddy
24.JPG
They also had this insane flat ride.
25.JPG
And it did this to people.
26.JPG
One last artsy shot of death for you.
27.JPG
We attempted to check out the dark ride
28.JPG
Where they display the high scors
29.JPG
But we broke down in the first scene :(
30.JPG
At least we got to walk through the entire attraction!
31.JPG
The park did look nice, for having a lot of temporary rides.
32.JPG
Funhouse fun
33.JPG
Freaky effects...
34.JPG
Soupy fills the hole nicely
35.JPG
I love slides!
36.JPG
And now for the grand finale...the SCAD tower.
37.JPG
The park had it opened for us the entire visit!
38.JPG
Being Mr. Big myself, I had to sit out, but it was fun to watch.
39.JPG
Here is a full drop sequence...
40.JPG
41.JPG
42.JPG
And caught! People seemed to really like this. Make sure you watch the TPR video!!!
43.JPG
KT and I found a little more grounded attraction to pass the time.
44.JPG
And we somehow survived Tivoli Friheden and had fun! Next up, an AWESOME visit to Farup Sommerland!!!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 pm

They were so nice with us at Friheden. And with it being NOT as rainy or windy as "before"
(2009), it's really a nice park to walk through.

SCAD Tower - well. it's an awesome attraction. I loved my second time on it.

Great stuff Jake, and lots of good coaster shots. Looking forward to Farup...
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm

You forgot to mention WHY everyone was riding that crazy death flat ride. I believe it had something to do with a super hot Danish ride op...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!