TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks Coasters and Rides in Movies and TV

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

While there is not necessarily a ride or park shown, I noticed while watching one of my favorite shows It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, one of the characters Charlie, is wearing a Silver Dollar City t-shirt.

Screenshot_2014-05-15-11-36-17.png.2e52a281327046949e7aa6d90df08933.png

• 2 months later...
ok. .where is this , that is standing in for "FrightLand" ?

is that Kennywood where they filmed this?

as as fan of Slasher/Horror films and Amusment parks (and music, since one of the stars is Ogre from Skinny Puppy). . I'll definitely see it/rent it/buy it !

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^ Looks like Conneaut Lake to me????

Just finally got around to watching this, after buying the DVD earlier this year.

yep, that's exactly where it was. . they give it credit for filming on location (also having now seen "Mission Amusement" where they "fix up" the park, I'd recognize it NOW as Conneaut Lake).

not only did they allow them to film there, but they didn't do a very good job "hiding" it (I would guess due to low budget).

they use the ride names "as is", there's tons of "Conneaut Lake" signage in background shots, and even on some maintenance signs in the "management office" scenes.

at least they filmed during an annual "Ghost Lake" event, so there were horror decorations around -- so it kinda looks like it COULD be a fright themed park.

oh, not at all a good film -- many, many plot holes (the biggest being: if there's a big restaurant/bar on site (which is where some of the characters hide later in the film), why in the world would their after hours party be in a tiny mgmt office? And why would they need a character to BRING booze, when there's a bar on site?).

and the film starts out in the haunt that they found in "Mission Amusement" that they then upgraded into the "Haunted Hostel" attraction on that show. So it was kinda fun recognizing that

ovrall tho? the acting is terrible (almost across the board); the "advertised star", Doug Bradley, only shows up over an hour into an hour-20 film (for about 5 minutes). . and it's obvious his scenes were shot separately; and the "kills" are poorly done - I'm sure due to budget (one goth character mentions she sometimes dreams about getting ground up in the gears of a ride . .. does that happen to her? nope, cheap slit throat gag).

the digitally rendered "killer breaks thru glass doors into gift shop" is the biggest laugh. Obviously Conneaut Lake isn't going to let them destroy a glass door. . but the way they did it in the shot?

1) the Door on the left is CLEARLY open (you can see the signage on the door to the left of the new, "digital" door thru the glass windows.

2) Ogres left arm keeps disappearing every time he moves it behind the door on the right (which is closed). .. yeah, his arm disappears when he steps behind a GLASS door.

3) when he breaks thru the glass, none of it hits the floor inside the gift shop.

still tho?

I'd recommend it still tho for Theme Park fans, because as noted, the park gave them free reign (apparently) to film wherever they wanted, and there is a lot of footage filmed on and around rides - in particular Little Dipper and Blue Streak.

• 2 weeks later...

Valleyfair appeared in the baseball movie Little Big League. The main character and his friends rode Corkscrew and The Wave. Other rides such as Enterprise, Ferris Wheel, and High Roller can also be seen.

image.jpg.911bf0c7ac40217ad0b5b50c08afef96.jpg

Corkscrew in the movie.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I did some searching but didnt find anything....so here goes.....What was the first movie to feature a POV on a rollercoaster? Since "Rollercoaster" was released in 1977, that was the first one I could find. Vacation features some but that was released in 1983. Can anyone come up with anything earlier?

Is it specifically full-length films, or film in general (including short films or reels) ? If film in general, the earliest POV I can think of is dated to around 1904 involving the only known POV I believe of an actual switchback railway, taken at Folkestone. I believe you can easily find it on Youtube.

Edit: Looked it up, and the film is still on Youtube it seems, thankfully!

I did some searching but didnt find anything....so here goes.....What was the first movie to feature a POV on a rollercoaster? Since "Rollercoaster" was released in 1977, that was the first one I could find. Vacation features some but that was released in 1983. Can anyone come up with anything earlier?

I merged this into an excited thread about coasters in movies

I just remembered a movie I haven't seen in years:"Summer School" with Mark Harmon and Kirstie Alley.Basically Mark Harmon takes his students to Knott's Berry Farm and they ride the Roaring 20's Corkscrew;in the movie the coaster is called The Screwdriver and they say something about the "third loop" !!

In Captain America: the first avenger, Steve Rogers (Captain America) mentions that when he and his friend Bucky were kids, Bucky made him ride the Coney Island Cyclone and he threw up. I thought that was pretty funny coming from a superhero. I also liked that the statement was also historically accurate. The cyclone would have been brand new when they were kids. I can even picture that story in my mind.

In the opening credits of the tv series The 100, the "camera" flies over what is an abandoned park, where

a ferris wheel can be seen poking out of the trees and overgrowth around it. And a coaster appears

to be nearby...

Just something I noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new Autozone commercial?

Kind of funny. Family is getting their car ready for a road trip to a park and just as they say "Home of the 3 hour lines and $9 sodas", the camera pans and you can see they're at SFMM!

I just watched the recent Tom Hanks movie "Hologram for a King" (kind of a "meh" movie if you ask me), and right at the beginning there are a couple of shots of Hanks riding some wooden coaster in a bizarre and seemingly pointless opening sequence. Anybody know what coaster it is?