TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I was at opening day as well, but I didn't enjoy it as much. Patriot was running one train all day and for some reason I decided to wait 2 hours for it. Although, Prowler's crew made up for Patriot's. I was able to get two rides in under half an hour, and they were moving the trains through surprisingly fast. The staff were typical - not really happy or thrilled to be serving the guests, but that's not any different than before.

SteelHawk fits well with the rest of the park to be honest. I always thought the tower would stand out, and it does, but in a better way than I originally imagined. I figured it would make the other attractions seem puny, but it doesn't appear to be much larger than Mamba or Detonator. I also liked how you could see it from literally anywhere in the park!

I'm excited for its opening day. It should be a solid fit.

Prowler has bins to put stuff in. Timberwolf just set it to the side. Patriot has cubbies in the station, mamba has two shelves but if they are takin just put it on the floor. It is pretty easy to notice where to put your stuff. Have a great time there!

There is a chance that I might be able to visit Worlds of Fun this year. I have a few questions that you WOF locals can probably answer.

1) It would likely be on a Sunday in mid-September. How bad are lines at this time of year, and would I need a Fast Lane (I'm assuming no, but you never know)?

2) Are any major coasters usually closed around this time of year?

3) Which coasters are must rides, and which ones should I skip?

4) What are the best seats on the major coasters?

5) Where can I find good deals/discounts on tickets?

6) What are some nice restaurants within the park?

Any input is appreciated.

The crowds will be somewhat large. Lines no longer than two hours. Fast lane would help.

Most of the coasters there are pretty reliable except boomerang. I am assuming thunderhawk(Huss top spin) would be down.

Prowler, mamba, and patriot are definite must rides. Mamba is probably the best In The park. I know I know I am weird like that. I mean timberwolf which is an old woodie is fun to ride but somewhat rough. Boomerang is a vekoma so it's a no go.

On mamba and prowler the airtime is the best in the front, patriot is good no matter where you sit. If you sit on the far left seat on patriot you come of your seat during the zero g roll. Also the front is the most forceful.

I haven't found any deals. My favorite restaurant is a grill by Viking voyager. You get to sit by a massive window and be nearly five feet away from the drop on Viking voyager. It is pretty cool.

^

It's really that busy on a Sunday in September? At my home park, everything is usually a walk-on at that time of year.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure where he's coming up with this, but I've been to the park several times on Sundays in September and October, and the park is basically empty. I used to have to travel to Topeka for work on occasion, and I'd always stop at WoF on my way down there. One time I rode Prowler about 15 straight times without getting off. You're not going to have to worry about crowds. They'll only be running one train on most rides, but you'll still get on plenty of rides.

I should add. Most of the times I go there at that time of the year it is busy. But my parents always time it horribly and end up being on a holiday. Honestly I have been there at that time of the year when it is dead too. It is just really unpredictable. Hopefully we will get another wet fall like last year for two reasons, the drought and worlds of fun being dead. Sorry if my info is misleading, it is just what I have experienced.

Exactly how far back is Steelhawk from the bridges leading to it? If it isn't right up by them, I could easily see Cedar Fair turning the remainder of the old go-kart land into a new section of the park in a similar vein to what Cedar Point and Valleyfair are doing this year (and, to some extent, Knotts from last year).

In addition to Steelhawk, the area would ideally be home to a Disko Coaster and possibly some flyers. I've never been to WOF myself, but looking at Google Maps, the circular patio next to Patriot's gift shop (old Rockin' Reeler location) looks like it could easily become a second entrance into this area. The way the land is situated, such an entrance could pass right under the hill in the center of the Disko.

It's just some nonsensical ramblings of mine, but after the fine jobs CF seems to be doing with Route 76 and the Gemini Midway, I wouldn't be surprised to see more parks in the chain adopt a "family ride" area with a Disko Coaster...and with the vacated land from the go-karts, WOF just seems like a likely candidate to me.

Exactly how far back is Steelhawk from the bridges leading to it? If it isn't right up by them, I could easily see Cedar Fair turning the remainder of the old go-kart land into a new section of the park in a similar vein to what Cedar Point and Valleyfair are doing this year (and, to some extent, Knotts from last year).

In addition to Steelhawk, the area would ideally be home to a Disko Coaster and possibly some flyers. I've never been to WOF myself, but looking at Google Maps, the circular patio next to Patriot's gift shop (old Rockin' Reeler location) looks like it could easily become a second entrance into this area. The way the land is situated, such an entrance could pass right under the hill in the center of the Disko.

It's just some nonsensical ramblings of mine, but after the fine jobs CF seems to be doing with Route 76 and the Gemini Midway, I wouldn't be surprised to see more parks in the chain adopt a "family ride" area with a Disko Coaster...and with the vacated land from the go-karts, WOF just seems like a likely candidate to me.

Yea as it could but it more than likely won't. Besides worlds of fun is in need of a high thrill unique coaster. Not some weak boring family ride.

^Considering the parks current line-up of attractions. A real thrill coaster would work just as well. WOF is a mix of a family & mild-thrill park, with coasters like Mamba and Patriot in the mix.

Fixed. Mamba's height doesn't make it any more thrilling, and Patriot is just fun; if it didn't have inversions it'd be a family ride too.

I think the addition of Prowler basically accomplished the medium sized family coaster product that they needed. Sure the coast may not have a pull for crowds after 7 years, but the park lists Spinning Dragons as a more intense coaster than Prowler on their website.

Maybe it's because WoF is my home park (for now), but I think they could use a good thrilling coaster. They already have a ton of flat rides and water rides for families, not to mention more than 10 rides in Planet Snoopy for littler children plus Dinosaurs Alive (for now). The only rides requiring riders to be over 48 inches are Detonator, Patriot, and Thunderhawk and, while a 48 inch height limit means little about ride intensity, those height limits go a long way for families. That being said, I could care less about the height limit to ride a new coaster. I'm just hoping Worlds of Fun adds something that makes me need to go back there.

^Considering the parks current line-up of attractions. A real thrill coaster would work just as well. WOF is a mix of a family & mild-thrill park, with coasters like Mamba and Patriot in the mix.

Fixed. Mamba's height doesn't make it any more thrilling, and Patriot is just fun; if it didn't have inversions it'd be a family ride too.

Agreed. Mamba is a perfect starter hyper coaster. It has all that a hyper should have but doesn't go too extreme. I think it is a perfect ride to fit at worlds of fun. It has height and speed, but it still has a lot of airtime which you get in most hypers. Yea patriot is a very fun coaster, but true without inversions it would just be a 140ft tall family coaster. Yes worlds of fun is lacking in real thrills considering how most if the rides there are low par. But now that we just got steelhawk I would take anything that is not a flat ride. A nice large family coaster would be alright but we need another ride that sets us out in thrills. RMC

That was kinda my point, those are considered "BIG THRILL" coasters to the GP. WOF isn't exactly the place for these types of rides. Not saying it could never happen. It's just that all previous installments (everything there today) make it pretty obvious as to what their target audience is. Tried-and-true is tried-and-true.

If WOF is looking for something 'big', my money's on another B&M speed coaster.

Looking at their ride lineup it seems WOF needs a replacement for Orient Express despite Patriot, though being an invert, being the only full-circuit looper in the park. A floorless would be somewhat unique and if Banshee is an indication that B&M have somewhat turned the corner (i.e. bringing back some intensity based on the reviews), that would be, personally speaking, my choice for the next coaster.

Agreed. Something along the lines of Helix in liseberg would fill three gaps for the park maybe even four. One a big thrill coaster. Two a launched coaster. Three a looping sit down coaster. And four an actually high quality ride. We really are in desperate need for something big.