Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

UPDATE, May 7: Liseberg
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Shudders at memories of both visits to LV. Food didn't change one bit. Ugh.

LV was where I ate one of the worst "burgers" ever. It was like those odd ones they servedin my old high-school cafeteria that seemed to be made of no recognizable meat product.

I still remember Big Mike feeding a hot dog to a duck there, too.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm

^ Sad.

I had the (I-think-it's) chicken burger. Took for - e - ver. And ended up being
a flat ovalish patty (pattie?) on a white bun. Condiments were not worth getting.

Yum.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

cfc wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:Shudders at memories of both visits to LV. Food didn't change one bit. Ugh.

LV was where I ate one of the worst "burgers" ever. It was like those odd ones they servedin my old high-school cafeteria that seemed to be made of no recognizable meat product.

I still remember Big Mike feeding a hot dog to a duck there, too.

I got the burger and fries, looked at the burger and tossed it. I ate one fry and threw them out. Then I bought an ice cream cone.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:58 pm

I think we had bags of chips and ice cream at LV.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:58 pm

^You were wiser than me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm

cfc wrote:At Disney, you wants the redhead. At Drayton, the blond with the STD-ravaged face be wantin' you!

ahAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAha!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:30 pm

The pirate ride was a rip off of Disney's POTC? I didn't notice! ;)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Apocalypse was amazing. But I know it was ever more awesome, doing it with others
like yourself Chuck. Solo riding is so...meh. I can do it now, like I do at Playland on
Hellevator. But still, doing it on the tours with others, is so much more fun.

So this one (My Very First, that's why I was nervous, lol), and the one at Southport
(that one I got to share with Ryan) are still warmly remembered.
Re-exposure of Resize of southport2006TPRtour.jpg
Sharing my "first time" on this kind of tower ride with Ryan, at Southport.
(Thanks for the photo, Robb)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Time for our next stop on the TPR Nostalgia Trail: historic Pleasureland Southport. Yes, this park was, indeed, "historic" for two reasons:

1. It had a number of old, classic attractions, complete with historic plaques.
2. It's now "history" as it no longer exists in the same form as it did in 2006.

I understand that Southport is now just a collection of random, ever-changing traveling carnival rides. But during TPR's visit, it was an enjoyable, if somewhat beat looking "permanent" seaside amusement park. I guess you could call it a credit whore's dream, as it operated not only an old-school woodie (Cyclone) and a rare wooden wild mouse with mine cars (King Solomon's Mines), but also an SLC, a Zyklon, and a Big Apple kiddie coaster. Well, when we were there, three of those credits were running. The SLC, with the no-doubt appropriate name of Traumatizer, had been down for the count for some time, and the Zyklon (Wildcat) looked like it could collapse at any second. Hell, even the Cyclone had a crooked lift hill, but at least it was running.

But the real attraction at Southport was its classic old fun house, where we enjoyed a great ERT session spinning around on the Wheel of Death (not its actual name, but a close approximation) and generally risking great bodily injury. The wheel destroyed my old Seiko wristwatch, and left more than a few of us with some pretty good bruises.

The park had two ghost trains, one of which was themed to dinosaurs, a number of flats, and some rather funky smelling walk-through attractions. And quite a few historic plaques.

Let's take a step back into amusement-park history for a look at the Pleasureland Southport that was.
044.jpg
This was the main reason to visit Southport.
045.jpg
These people were spun so quickly that they were churned into butter. True story.
046.jpg
Behold the Wheel of Wristwatch Destruction.
047.jpg
King Solomon must've been mining for air, as not once did this ride venture underground.
047a.jpg
Fun, but terrifying (and a little rough).
048.jpg
Who do you think enjoyed this ride more: Jeff or Lou?
049.jpg
At this point, you're reciting the Lord's Prayer and wishing that you had your affairs in order.
050.jpg
As usual, Robb suffers for his art.
051.jpg
The Big Apple was not quite as historic as King Solomon's Mine.
052.jpg
You know, this inn certainly smelled like it could've been haunted inside.
053.jpg
"I've always been more of a 'leg man.' Ha! 'Leg man'! Get it! You'd damn well better get it!"
054.jpg
"Nah, I didn't get it either."
055.jpg
What ever you do, do not pour vinegar and baking soda into that papier mache volcano! You'll kill us all! (The Lost Dinosaurs of the Sahara ride was like a giant-sized diorama made for a science fair by an eight year old.)
056.jpg
I forget what happened on the ghost train, but it obviously traumatized Eric.
056a.jpg
I'm sure these distorting mirrors did a lot to restore Eric's peace of mind.
056b.jpg
The park also had one of those bizarre chairlifts to nowhere, but it gave you a good view. Behind Eric is the Wildcat, which was closed--probably for the best.
057.jpg
King Solomon's Mine leaves people both shaken and stirred, in addition to rattled.
058.jpg
If you want a look at a nonfunctional, and hence painless, SLC, here's you chance. This ride was moved to Blackpool Pleasure Beach, painted blue, given a bunch of fountains, and renamed "Infusion."
058a.jpg
The big stack of wood in the background is the Cyclone. As I recall from reading on TPR, the coaster was simply bulldozed when the park shut down--but you can ride its cousin in India.
059.jpg
It was a fun old coaster, but hardly top-ten material. The trains just sort of lumbered through the course. ("Lumbered"! Ha!)
060.jpg
And there's the town of Southport itself.
061.jpg
Eric and I boarded this ride, thinking it was just an old Himalaya. We had no idea what a Caterpillar was, or that we'd be covered by a filthy, musty-smelling old canopy. That damn canopy startled us when if flopped over our heads after the ride started.
062.jpg
Fun day, but I'm beat. That's all for now.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:43 pm

So glad we got to experience that fun house. The Wheel Of Doom ERT is still one of the most fun things I've ever done.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive