Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

UPDATE, May 7: Liseberg
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Chuck's Shameless Nostalgia TR: TPR's 2006 UK Trip

Postby cfc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm

SharkTums wrote:I miss the Crystal Maze. :(

Yes, it's too bad it's gone. It was fun, not to mention unique.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:10 am

Thanks for the TR! Nice to see the pictures back to 2006.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

SharkTums wrote:I miss the Crystal Maze. :(

That place ruled. So glad we got to experience that.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Great photos Chuck! I remember reading the original TPR report and it made me want to do a trip myself. Must get to the UK one day soon!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:18 pm

It's never too late for a trip report like this one. These are both parks I'm dying to visit some day; lots of cool details in here I'd never seen before. And bless you for the "Ed Wood" reference. And the "bunnies behaving badly" amusement.

Can't wait for the next installment!
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm

What a great trip we had back then. Thanks for posting. Lots of familiar faces.

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for the TR Chuck!

Seems like it was soooooo long ago! I think the rabbit ride gave us all a look at things to come!!

I can't wait for more pics. I look so much younger!! :p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/3ea9b61e8c22a14aa6d3b76fd6c78499.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

^Thanks, Jeff. Look for my favorite picture of you and Lou in the Blackpool segment.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Next stop, the best theme park in the UK: Alton Towers! A park with a real, honest-to-god castle, complete with a terrible curse! Fun for the whole family!

I had high expectations for Alton, and it didn't disappoint me. After all, how can you go wrong with the home of Nemesis, still the best of the B&M inverts; Rita: Queen of Speed, a great Intamin launched coaster; and Hex, a Vekoma Madhouse that gets its back story from local history? Not to mention B&M's prototype Dive Machine, Oblivion, and Flying Coaster, Air.

Yes, Alton is a huge, beautiful park with a lot to offer. Of course, it's not perfect. The old Vekoma Corkscrew, with it's bizarre caveman theming, was pretty bad (it's much better serving as a lawn ornament at the park's main entrance today), and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Ride was a bit disappointing. It's a pain to get around Alton, too, because it sprawls out all over the place around the castle and gardens. But no worries.

TPR had a couple of great days at Alton, and I''m ready to go back there anytime. But really stood out? Hmm . . .

ERT on Nemesis was excellent! I recall how they wouldn't allow consecutive rides due to the coaster's intensity. (It is the most intense B&M coaster I've ever ridden, with Pyrenees in Japan and the Batman clones in second place). I love how Alton got around the city's height restrictions by putting the ride in a huge pit.

Hex was my first Madhouse, and I was a bit worried about how my stomach would handle it. I ended up loving it. Using the old legend of the Curse of the Towers, was inspired, and putting the ride and queue inside the castle itself really upped the creepiness.

Duel was a very enjoyable shooting dark rides involving zombies that shoot back--cleverly done.

Single funniest moment: having the crap scared out of us when the giant rubber duckie slid down toward our boat on the park's huge, and very wet, flume ride.

Here's a glimpse of how the park looked in 2006.
001.jpg
Can you not feel the Curse of the Towers all around you? It involves an ancient tree that's held together by chains--for if a branch falls, someone dies. (This is especially true if you're standing under said branch.)
002.jpg
And how does Rita maintain her dainty figure, you might ask? Why, she uses speed, of course.
003.jpg
Wait for it!
004.jpg
Yes, Rita is a lot of fun . . .
005.jpg
. . . wish I could say the same for Corkscrew, God rest its soul.
006.jpg
This is Spinball Whizzer, before Sonic the Hedgehog took over.
007.jpg
Young Jeff is ready to spin like mad.
008.jpg
Not as good as Dragon's Fury at Chessington, but still fun.
009.jpg
As with Dragon's Fury, two rides on this, and my poor stomach had had enough.
010.jpg
The icy fingers of the curse reach out for you . . .
011.jpg
. . . as they did for me!
012.jpg
Holy crap! Zombies in the UK know how to use guns!
013.jpg
And now, the best coaster in the UK--Nemesis!
014.jpg
B&M has never topped this ride--at least not as far as I'm concerned.
015.jpg
The theming is very clever, too. Essentially, the ride is actually an enormous cage trying to hold a subterranean monster--without much success.
016.jpg
You gotta love any ride that is surrounded by rivers of blood!
017.jpg
Nemesis will spoil you for riding most other B&M coasters. (At least, that's how it was in 2006.)
018.jpg
Hey, Nemesis--if you keep picking at that, it'll never heal.
018a.jpg
Remember--I have warned ye!
019.jpg
The park also had a very good powered mine train.
020.jpg
Yes, this is me on the Squirrel Nutty ride. I had to get this picture for a friend of mine back in the States who's a squirrel fan. She's even nuttier about rodents than Elissa! (It just dawned on me that it looks like I'm being raped by a giant squirrel.)
021.jpg
This is the only decent photo I got of Oblivion. B&M came up with better versions of this ride later, but this one was still fun.
022.jpg
However, I wasn't that big a fan of Air. This was the best part.
023.jpg
And let's finish up with a look at the gardens, which should give you an idea of how beautiful this park was (and, I presume, still is). That's all for now. Next up will be the rather odd Drayton Manor.

Seems So Surreal

Postby mike541x » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Great pictures, Chuck. Man, I really need to go Alton Towers, mainly for Nemesis. I've always wanted to ride it and just hearing that they won't allow consecutive because of how intense it is, had me sold on that.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive