TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

The first time I rode the coaster (Holiwood Nights 2011), I thought it was excessively rough (enough to put Legend as my favorite from the park). When I attended Holiwood Nights 2012 after they retracked much of the ride, it felt much more bearable and went to being one of my top favorite roller coasters. It definitely has its high and low times, and I'm sure what makes it so intense is how fast it roars through the course versus its varying roughness (bumpiness, jerking, etc.).

Holiday World has sent us a press release about this year's lineup for their "Rock the World" Christian music fest!

Grammy Award winning performers TobyMac and Mandisa will headline Holiday World’s “Rock the World” in August.

This is the third year for Holiday World’s Christian music fest. The four main-stage acts will be:

• TobyMac, a Christian recording artist with two Grammy Awards and 18 Dove Awards to his credit.
  • American Idol Season 5 finalist Mandisa, who won two Grammy Awards last month.
  • Grammy-nominated Sanctus Real, a five-member Christian Rock group from Toledo, Ohio.
  • Moriah Peters, a 21-year-old contemporary Christian music singer/songwriter from California.

Throughout the day of Rock the World, a series of regional bands will perform in Holiday World. As the park approaches closing time, Rock the World’s main-stage performances will begin for the event attendees.

Rock the World will be held on Saturday, August 23. Information about tickets for the event, including premium-access seating, is available at HolidayWorldRocks.com. Deepest discounts for tickets are available online through May 2.

Holiday World opens for the season on May 3 with the new Mayflower swinging ship ride; both parks will be open daily beginning May 16. For more information, visit the parks’ website at HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCDCwN_2aE

12618467363_18b2cb2328_b.thumb.jpg.22d134f9d350ffc243367e14c130f71b.jpg

12618442053_21abfbab39_b.thumb.jpg.d4b07acbb90ad0561d91fa3ea824e16c.jpg

12618744124_66fedc9490_b.thumb.jpg.d52c52f5be651febf60a2cd41c4f6646.jpg

12618318895_2a0e502659_b.thumb.jpg.a9672a5be3102ee8d532a6b746ea5cd2.jpg

12618318325_e43013c60a_b.thumb.jpg.14c803d8c2fe39edd9e8c1d16f99593c.jpg

Looks like they've put together a very solid lineup!

It appears that there has been some closure on the owner situation. The Indiana Supreme Court refused to hear Dan Koch's appeal. This reaffirmed the lower courts decision to side with Lori Koch and Dan can no longer appeal his case in the state of Indiana.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2014/feb/17/indiana-supreme-court-declines-take-holiday-world/

^ It's not going to affect the park very much (if at all), but it's certainly not good to see the family split up like this. It's Will's brother versus his wife. And on a side note, ever since this legal dispute began, we haven't seen much of Pat Koch anywhere. Not even in the park or in ads. I do hope she is still doing well.

Time heals all wounds. Both parties still own the business together, so they're going to have to overcome their issues for the betterment of the park. The park is still heading in the right direction. Honestly, other than Pat Koch being gone, you wouldn't have noticed anything that different with the park this past season. They added bag checks at the entrance, but I think that was a direct result of the Boston Marathon bombings last year.

The only good thing about this being over is it should take this family issue out of the public light and end any negative attention the park may have been receiving.

^ I sure hope not; I've had many seasons of that up in Cedar Point during their Paddlewheel attraction (which is no longer there) of a feud between two hillbilly families shooting each other because of their moonshine - one family said the moonshine taste great while the other family said the moonshine is less filling!

Okay, I'll go out and shoot myself. Don't worry - it'll be humane.

I haven't been able to keep up with all of this court stuff, so first thing's first - is this a good thing?

Just an personal opinion of mine would be that the court should have ruled so that Lori had to sell Dan enough shares to make them share 50/50 of the ownership. Then they had to make amends in order to run the park, as it is now Lori will forever have the control.

After all the readings it seems that Dan did nothing wrong with his offer, while Lori felt the price should have gone up since the agreed price per share was set in 2009. It's so sad to see something great fall apart like this.

I alluded to this in the Kings Island thread, but Google FINALLY has new satellite imagery of Holiday World visible on Google Earth. Google Maps still has the nearly-nine-year-old image though, so you can't see it in your web browser just yet.

HolidayWorld.thumb.png.b1fff767e52ffae887bd7d13981f0e7c.png

Here is HW in all its no-longer-out-of-date glory! Also, in the top left corner you can see "Santa's Splashdown" at the Lake Rudolph campground, which uses the two slides HW removed to redo Splashin' Safari's entrance this past year.

Edited by Myself