TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite genre of music?

What is your favorite genre of music?  

285 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite genre of music?

• Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Punk
    • Ska
    • Techno
    • Alternative
    • Country
    • Blue Grass
    • Pop
    • Rap
    • Rap
    • Jazz
    • Classical
    • Mellow "Jack Johnson" style
    • Gospel
    • Hip Hop
    • House

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like rock and all of its variants: punk, grunge, alternative, etc. But I cast my vote for heavy metal just because I have more hard rock and metal songs on my iPod than anything else.

While that is my preference for casual listening, I also love classic orchestral and choir music, especially live. It's something about a whole bunch of people and instruments coming together to produce such an immense sound that really hits me the hardest. I think that's why I like listening to bands as opposed to pop/hip-hop soloists (and why I still say "who?" when someone mentions an American Idol finalist). While I don't listen to hip-hop, I absolutely love the history behind it. I took a Youth Cultures class that covered the origins of most mainstream music over the decades, and the story of hip-hop was surprisingly the most interesting. I used to be one of those people who said that hip-hop is just people talking in rhythm about money, sex, drugs, fame, and violence...well...I'm sure it's like that today, but it hasn't always been.

So rock/metal is my favorite genre of music, but I loves me my classical, and I really like the history of hip-hop.

I've taken to looking through the small gospel section (or whatever they label it) at my local record store. Sometimes they'll put in an album or two from artists that appeal to those who like hard or alternative Christian music. Strangely, I once found a copy of "Revolution, I Think It's Called Inspiration" by Inquisition in there. At the time, I assumed they must be another Christian punk band, but I actually can't find any evidence of this.

• 1 year later...

This thread deserves a bump escpecially since there's a lot of new music out there now!

Personally I like metalcore/metal as a genre because it gets me super excited. As of recent, though, I've been listening to a lot of indie/alternative just because it makes me feel better and it helps me chill, which I really need. Plus I like bands like The Killers and Walk the Moon. So it's either one of those two.

I love House, Electro, Trance and Dance. Thats my life!

My favourite artists are DJ's from Mars, Armin van Buuren and DJ Bl3nd.

After 17 years music shool and orchestra I produce on my own label club tracks.

Visit my pages if you like

www.facebook.com/frankkohnertofficial

www.soundcloud.com/frankkohnert

Greetz from germany Frank

I don't even think I can narrow it down anymore.

I usually say rock/metal, but I've come to realize that there are certain elements I look for in it: a hard beat you can headbang to, a sense of power, not-too-harsh vocals, and what I can only explain as a beautiful heaviness. By that, I mean like a massive, atmospheric, all-encompassing sound that brings chills up your spine. This is a perfect example of what is impossible to explain with words.

But equally important as any of that is fun. Some kinds of music are just incredibly fun for me to listen to:

(though I have no clue why, there's no way to defend that music, but I love it anyway), certain varieties of punk, and whatever the hell Diablo Swing Orchestra falls under. I just can't sit still when listening to those sorts of music, I have to sing along, dance in my chair, bang my head to it, whatever.

Yet sometimes, calm music does just as much for me. The xx has

. Tool's Disposition/Reflection/Triad trilogy showed me that I'll never need drugs to achieve a spectacularly tranquil state of mind. The sense of frission I find in these songs is amazing. But the reasons I'll listen to calm music are completely different than the reasons I'll listen to heavy metal, as are the emotions I feel when listening to each.

Sorry, this is something I've been thinking about a LOT lately as I've tried to expand my musical horizons. And I apologize if this is the most pretentious thing you've read all day.

I can generally listen to anything, but mostly prefer metal, specifically:

Neue Deutsche Harte (My preferred sub-genre): Rammstein, Megaherz, Oomph!

Groove Metal: Lamb Of God, Pantera, Machine Head, Five Finge Death Punch

Thrash Metal: Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine

Alternative Metal: Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park

Industrial Metal: Korn (Untitled era), Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie

J-Metal: Utsu-P, Caz, Yuyoyuppe

I listen to rock and metal mostly. My tastes range from Imagine Dragons on the light end to old Opeth on the heavy end. I also like some blues rock like Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Some of my favorite bands are Alter Bridge, Stone Sour, Dream Theater, and Halestorm.

I voted pop but I am 60% pop and 40% country.

I do not classify pop as what most people classify it as. To me pop is anything popular so in reality this could be the 'typical' pop - Britney Spears, Rihanna, Katy Perry or anything that is popular among a lot of people - Kanye West, Mumford and Sons, etc. I hope my point came through

I absolutely love electronic music (specifically

, trap,
, and other oddball subgenres) and listen to it most regularly, but I also enjoy a few metal subgenres (metalcore/deathcore, post-hardcore, progressive metal, djent, etc.), chillwave, indie rock, and other various genres that I'm too lazy to list.

I guess if I had to pick, I'd probably go with electronic music as my "favorite" genre.

• 2 months later...