SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Seems So Surreal

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby mike541x » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:27 am

CMV wrote:On my last visit several years ago, the short dip after the big visual drop flooded my boat.

Same thing happened to me back in March, it was the only part of the ride I actually got soaked. :lmao:

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:51 am

Having worked at SFDK during the time of Shouka(who ultimately ended up at SeaWorld San Diego), I feel I have a fairly decent insight to the treatment of these animals. SFDK tried everything they could do to make Shouka happy and comfortable while continuing their learning and attempts at preservation of such a great animal. When they were ultimately unsuccessful in providing the absolute best conditions for her, they gave her to someone who could, SeaWorld. And while it was a financial negative for the park, the understanding that you are dealing with something beyond just a theme park attraction and a living animal, they made the right decision to give her a better life.

These people are passionate and live their lives to the betterment of these animals. They want nothing but the best for them and these nut jobs saying they heartlessly abuse these animals are just ignorant and deserve to be sent to Antarctica with nothing but a tank top to fend for themselves. It's disgusting. GOOD FOR YOU SEAWORLD!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:55 am

StuckinNorCal wrote:Still never visiting Seaworld after watching that documentary. Nothing can make up for the lies they have told their trainers and the public. They seem like they're only trying to save their asses. Killer Whales do not belong in captivity no matter what so called "special care" they're receiving.

One less person in line for Manta and Kraken :)

On another note, I'm glad Sea World is finally fighting back against all this controversy. Ignoring the crazy animal rights activists wasn't going to work in the long run anyway. I don't think Sea World intentionally harms its animals. The animals look to be pretty well cared for (at least on my visits to Busch/SW).
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby talonec » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Sucks to hear about what happened to Willy. I didn't realize that they are all bred in captivity..but there had to be some "caught" even if it was a while ago. I don't know, I was sitting at Sea World in San Antonio on the TPR trip last summer watching the Shamu show and it just didn't sit right with me…that weird face the orcas make after a trick when they go up to a trainer and open their mouths for fish, or the crazy stuff they make them do just for the amusement of humans, just don't think it's right. I will still go to Sea World and ride the coasters, just feel bad for the whales and dolphins. I don't really like zoos for the same reason.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I watched the blackfish documentary and Im sure there are things SeaWorld managers have done or requested simply for the sake of business, trading whales to parks like professional teams trade players. There were things shown in the documentary that Im sure goes on simply because I know thats the way the world works. But with that said Im not going to stop going to SeaWorld. There's ways that SW can improve their treatment of animals and Im sure they'll continue to do so. In all seriousness I find the dolphin and shamu shows boring and rarely watch them, but they're the main draw to the parks. Without those, the parks wouldnt survive. If the parks close, Id imagine all the good work they do to aupport animals around the world would also go away as well.
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:55 pm

talonec wrote:I don't know, I was sitting at Sea World in San Antonio on the TPR trip last summer watching the Shamu show and it just didn't sit right with me…that weird face the orcas make after a trick when they go up to a trainer and open their mouths for fish, or the crazy stuff they make them do just for the amusement of humans, just don't think it's right.

The animals are trained through forming relationships with human trainers and their positive reinforcement. Are you similarly troubled by people who high five their dog, then give the dog a treat? It's the same idea.

Okay, so the act of doing a flip then getting a fish isn't a part of an orca's life were it out in the wild, granted. But were it not for those kind of shows that are no harmful to the animal than the aforementioned high fiving your dog, there would be a massive loss in public awareness and concern for those same orcas in the wild. "Save the whales" would have a much, much harder road if nobody ever made close contact with those whales and the other animals at places like SeaWorld, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and zoos around the world. You think natural habitat is eroding today? Just imagine how bad it would be if those places never existed. It's hard to care about animals' natural environment when those environments are far off places you've never seen, while the benefits of its destruction are part of your daily life.

We can't understand what we can't learn about, and we would not value what we can't understand. We can't learn without study. Whatever we study we also change slightly. Personally, I don't mind that the orcas lives are slightly altered from what they'd be in the wild given the extreme lengths SeaWorld takes to care for them, in return for the massive amounts of additional awareness generated by their parks and their shows. When you see that look on the orca's face when they ask for a fish, keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the whale can't just be thrown back into the wild once they rely on having food provided to them.

If the parks close, Id imagine all the good work they do to support animals around the world would also go away as well.

Bingo. That's the dirty little secret those animal right activists never seem to be too concerned about. They don't realize that SeaWorld isn't their true enemy. But they can profit and gain notoriety for themselves by attacking SeaWorld anyway because people are largely ignorant, and other corporations can gain monetarily by supporting the attacks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't understand why they are so hell bent on closing seaworld down, when there are whalers killing whales for meat. Seaworldis aactually HELPING sea animals, not killing them.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 pm

When do the petitions begin to stop supporting businesses that only pay minimum wage versus a living wage?

We could easily shut down 90% of companies.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:48 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:00 pm

thrillrider wrote:I don't understand why they are so hell bent on closing seaworld down, when there are whalers killing whales for meat. Seaworldis aactually HELPING sea animals, not killing them.

I agree, people should focus on commercial whaling or go protest in the Faroe Islands or some place where animals are actually being brutalized.

I visited Sea World Orlando in August and only got 'good vibes' from the park. They had such a strong focus on conservation and the Shamu show was quite light on tricks. I dunno, people criticizing Sea World recently are just coming across as very sanctimonious to me. :roll:

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 pm

larrygator wrote:When do the petitions begin to stop supporting businesses that only pay minimum wage versus a living wage?

We could easily shut down 90% of companies.

:nina:
Why don't all these people fight for something that is actually a problem?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!