TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I've seriously had cashiers at Kroger and line cooks at McDonalds tell us on our Facebook page all about animal rights and speak as though they are some authority while they are quoting the film. I'm sorry guy at McDonalds.

Really? Employees at McDonalds and Krogers are animal rights experts? Google "McDonald's" and "animal welfare" and "Kroger's" and "animal welfare." That's the funniest, most hypocritical thing I've heard all day. Thanks Robb!

I applaud Sea World for putting out this letter. I think what they do does more to benefit marine life than most other organizations. My son and I are more than happy to making a trip there Saturday and will never tire of the awesome wonder of these animals. Sea World Parks and their sister parks are the most nourturing of their animal residents I've ever encountered. Hey they're good enough for the likes of people like Jack Hannah!

Contrary to what the activists want you to believe, the park was insanely busy today (And this past week). 60 minute wait for Paddle Boats, 75 minute wait for Skytower, 80 for Antarctica, ect. Operations were decent as well. Of course, I know this is a busier week than normal, but still. Good luck and have fun at the park! It goes to show that most people in the world don't give a crap about Blackfish. It's not going to hurt attendance to the point where SeaWorld will panic or even miss it.

Source: Was at park today.

Still never visiting Seaworld after watching that documentary. Nothing can make up for the lies they have told their trainers and the public. They seem like they're only trying to save their asses. Killer Whales do not belong in captivity no matter what so called "special care" they're receiving.

I'm glad SeaWorld has finally fired back about the false allegations made against their parks. Here's what I think, and what I think you must remember. "Blackfish" is a documentary, and just because it's a documentary doesn't mean it's completely accurate. The produces knew there was an audience out there that doesn't support SeaWorld, and that's why they made the film. To be fair, the producers and writers of "Blackfish" are actually very smart people. They produced the film for one reason, and that reason was MONEY! Give it to them. They succeed.

They have successfully turned a lot of folks against SeaWorld, and made a lot of dough. This was strictly a business move. They could probably care less about SeaWorld, but they saw an opportunity and went for it. Heck, even users discussing the film on forums, and social media sites is only boosting the popularity of the documentary. Believe me, the producers knew this would happen. So again, kudos to everyone involved in making "Blackfish." They made a smart business move.

Now, I'm smart enough to see through their bulls**t! I don't believe what they say, and I proudly support SeaWorld parks! They capture, cure, and release so many animals a year that are in need of medical attention. SeaWorld really does care. A lot of people agree with that, but unfortunately all the ban wagon people who saw "Blackfish" who were open enough to believe that, will not be open enough to hear SeaWorld out. So unfortunate.

Even the Australian Sea World is having to answer posts from crazed environmentalist nutjobs, despite the fact that the Australian Sea World neither has Orcas in their park, nor are affiliated with American SeaWorld in any way.

Now, I definitely advocate animal rights, but the people calling for the parks to release all their animals into the wild is not only unrealistic but ridiculous, and the people directing accusations at the wrong park chain is just laughable.

This is not directed to anyone here, but this is my response:

I love all animals, and like reading about them, and watching things on TV about them.

psychological - of, pertaining to, dealing with, or affecting the mind, especially as a function of awareness, feeling, or motivation

Blackfish is a MOVIE.

Several promos for this film call it a "psychological thriller". Wait a second! Silence of the Lambs, Saw, and The Exorcist are "psychological thrillers".

It used footage and was worded so that it puts the blame on Sea World. It also basically showed us EVERYTHING we have already seen. We've seen all the footage used in this "psychological thriller".

The former trainers said that they never thought anything bad would happen. After seeing the movie, my first thought was, "These people did not think an animal as big as a medium sized school bus could or would harm them?"

ANYTHING with a mouth can and will bite.

Also, places like Sea World and Busch Gardens do more good than bad. Do you know that there are animals that thrive is zoos that are classified as "EXTINCT IN THE WILD"?

"Extinct in the wild." Gee there's nothing wrong with THAT statement.

Furthermore, those of you wanting the whale released need to think about the last time an orca was released after a MOVIE brought him to everyone's attention. Keiko, the star of Free Willy was released. Up until he died of pneumonia, he had been known to seek human interaction, beg fishermen for food, and was underweight. (Google it)

What happens if Tilly were released and did the same thing? What would stop that orca from seeking human interaction? Attacking someone who doesn't have food for him?

The film Blackfish started out putting the blame on the whale stating that "he became frustrated and that is why he attacked." Then they shifted the blame to Dawn, stating that she didn't reward him, ran out of food, and kept asking the whale to do more. Then they shifted the blame to Sea World for not having more safety measures in place. Are you freaking serious?

There are bombings at marathon races, shootings, car accidents, HIGH gas prices, and yet everyone jumps on the "I hate Sea World Bandwagon" because of a M O V I E from a no name director who just got all her nominations and wins with this movie.

There are a LOT of things this "psychological thriller" left out, such as most movies do.

The next documentary expose of Sea World should explore why they used selections from the Beetlejuice soundtrack in Journey To Atlantis.

No, It should explore how Journey to Atlantis doesn't get you wet, Has broken effects, and shows you the twist in the queue line TV's

On my last visit several years ago, the short dip after the big visual drop flooded my boat, I couldn't tell what was "broken" and what was "garbage", and the queue monitors that were working featured a generic Sea World logo.

Was I lucky, or not? Hell, I can't tell.

The next documentary expose of Sea World should explore why they used selections from the Beetlejuice soundtrack in Journey To Atlantis.

No, It should explore how Journey to Atlantis doesn't get you wet, Has broken effects, and shows you the twist in the queue line TV's

On my last visit several years ago, the short dip after the big visual drop flooded my boat, I couldn't tell what was "broken" and what was "garbage", and the queue monitors that were working featured a generic Sea World logo.

Was I lucky, or not? Hell, I can't tell.

That happens all the time there! We usually put someone in the front who has never been, then have everyone lean forward at that part. WHOLE front of the boat goes under. First 2 rows are SOAKED!

Remember we live in the reality tv society now where people will by into anything such as this documentary. Heck many still believe pro wrestling is real! Maybe if people in this country actually tried to learn and not just get on a bandwagon with the rest of these activists and agenda forming meat heads we might actually start taking a step forward as a society.

Having worked at SFDK during the time of Shouka(who ultimately ended up at SeaWorld San Diego), I feel I have a fairly decent insight to the treatment of these animals. SFDK tried everything they could do to make Shouka happy and comfortable while continuing their learning and attempts at preservation of such a great animal. When they were ultimately unsuccessful in providing the absolute best conditions for her, they gave her to someone who could, SeaWorld. And while it was a financial negative for the park, the understanding that you are dealing with something beyond just a theme park attraction and a living animal, they made the right decision to give her a better life.

These people are passionate and live their lives to the betterment of these animals. They want nothing but the best for them and these nut jobs saying they heartlessly abuse these animals are just ignorant and deserve to be sent to Antarctica with nothing but a tank top to fend for themselves. It's disgusting. GOOD FOR YOU SEAWORLD!

Still never visiting Seaworld after watching that documentary. Nothing can make up for the lies they have told their trainers and the public. They seem like they're only trying to save their asses. Killer Whales do not belong in captivity no matter what so called "special care" they're receiving.

One less person in line for Manta and Kraken

On another note, I'm glad Sea World is finally fighting back against all this controversy. Ignoring the crazy animal rights activists wasn't going to work in the long run anyway. I don't think Sea World intentionally harms its animals. The animals look to be pretty well cared for (at least on my visits to Busch/SW).

Sucks to hear about what happened to Willy. I didn't realize that they are all bred in captivity..but there had to be some "caught" even if it was a while ago. I don't know, I was sitting at Sea World in San Antonio on the TPR trip last summer watching the Shamu show and it just didn't sit right with me…that weird face the orcas make after a trick when they go up to a trainer and open their mouths for fish, or the crazy stuff they make them do just for the amusement of humans, just don't think it's right. I will still go to Sea World and ride the coasters, just feel bad for the whales and dolphins. I don't really like zoos for the same reason.

I watched the blackfish documentary and Im sure there are things SeaWorld managers have done or requested simply for the sake of business, trading whales to parks like professional teams trade players. There were things shown in the documentary that Im sure goes on simply because I know thats the way the world works. But with that said Im not going to stop going to SeaWorld. There's ways that SW can improve their treatment of animals and Im sure they'll continue to do so. In all seriousness I find the dolphin and shamu shows boring and rarely watch them, but they're the main draw to the parks. Without those, the parks wouldnt survive. If the parks close, Id imagine all the good work they do to aupport animals around the world would also go away as well.

I don't know, I was sitting at Sea World in San Antonio on the TPR trip last summer watching the Shamu show and it just didn't sit right with me…that weird face the orcas make after a trick when they go up to a trainer and open their mouths for fish, or the crazy stuff they make them do just for the amusement of humans, just don't think it's right.

The animals are trained through forming relationships with human trainers and their positive reinforcement. Are you similarly troubled by people who high five their dog, then give the dog a treat? It's the same idea.

Okay, so the act of doing a flip then getting a fish isn't a part of an orca's life were it out in the wild, granted. But were it not for those kind of shows that are no harmful to the animal than the aforementioned high fiving your dog, there would be a massive loss in public awareness and concern for those same orcas in the wild. "Save the whales" would have a much, much harder road if nobody ever made close contact with those whales and the other animals at places like SeaWorld, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and zoos around the world. You think natural habitat is eroding today? Just imagine how bad it would be if those places never existed. It's hard to care about animals' natural environment when those environments are far off places you've never seen, while the benefits of its destruction are part of your daily life.

We can't understand what we can't learn about, and we would not value what we can't understand. We can't learn without study. Whatever we study we also change slightly. Personally, I don't mind that the orcas lives are slightly altered from what they'd be in the wild given the extreme lengths SeaWorld takes to care for them, in return for the massive amounts of additional awareness generated by their parks and their shows. When you see that look on the orca's face when they ask for a fish, keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the whale can't just be thrown back into the wild once they rely on having food provided to them.

If the parks close, Id imagine all the good work they do to support animals around the world would also go away as well.

Bingo. That's the dirty little secret those animal right activists never seem to be too concerned about. They don't realize that SeaWorld isn't their true enemy. But they can profit and gain notoriety for themselves by attacking SeaWorld anyway because people are largely ignorant, and other corporations can gain monetarily by supporting the attacks.

I don't understand why they are so hell bent on closing seaworld down, when there are whalers killing whales for meat. Seaworldis aactually HELPING sea animals, not killing them.

I agree, people should focus on commercial whaling or go protest in the Faroe Islands or some place where animals are actually being brutalized.

I visited Sea World Orlando in August and only got 'good vibes' from the park. They had such a strong focus on conservation and the Shamu show was quite light on tricks. I dunno, people criticizing Sea World recently are just coming across as very sanctimonious to me.

When do the petitions begin to stop supporting businesses that only pay minimum wage versus a living wage?

We could easily shut down 90% of companies.

Why don't all these people fight for something that is actually a problem?

My thoughts exactly.

Imagine if for every ignorant post on this subject that was made by fair weather animal rights activists $1 was donated to the Red Cross instead, how much more productive that would be?

Edited by robbalvey