TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Seriously, there has to be one musician out there who can ignore this issue (which I just don't think is that big of a deal) and support Sea World for their coasters! I also just can't care enough about these singers and bands who are dropping out.

I don't think you or I know enough about the care of marine animals to say if that is a fix or not. And I don't believe the movie is telling us the whole story either. So with that said, I'll just continue to go to SeaWorld and enjoy the Shamu show for what it is.

--Robb

The movie is certainly not telling the whole story. It is biased for sure.

Going for the first time in two weeks. Sad part is we can't enjoy the Shamu show for what it was many like me will never have the chance to see it with the trainers doing the tricks in the water.

Is it really that huge a loss without the trainers in the water though? I saw the Shamu show when I was very little and i've seen a lot of dolphin shows with and without people in the water in Asia and pretty much all the time my eyes are on the animals even when there are tricks involving people, yes it's impressive when they launch people up into the air but i'm just as impressed when I see them do it with beach-balls or pretend bombs or whatever other props they have. Even the ones where two trainers link arms with each other and then the dolphins fins and get swum in a circle I preferred without the trainers when it was more dolphins just swimming upside down in a circle.

I've noticed less and less sites seem to be reporting when bands drop out now it's become common, surely soon it's going to come full circle and some old news bands or up and coming bands will start signing up just for the publicity and getting their names in the papers.

The movie is certainly not telling the whole story. It is biased for sure.

Going for the first time in two weeks. Sad part is we can't enjoy the Shamu show for what it was many like me will never have the chance to see it with the trainers doing the tricks in the water.

Blackfish is propaganda. Let's be honest, that's what it is.

Seriously, there has to be one musician out there who can ignore this issue (which I just don't think is that big of a deal) and support Sea World for their coasters! I also just can't care enough about these singers and bands who are dropping out.

Again to be fair, many of the acts are trying to distance themselves from the controversy. Its not really fun to be bombarded with countless hate messages surrounding the documentary. Agree with their decision or not.

From what i saw on my trip down there last year, the Shamu show was pretty lackluster at most compared to the park's other shows. It didnt really have all the cool tricks or interesting visuals of the dolphin show or Allure. Nor did it have the pet show's humor.

Blackfish is propaganda. Let's be honest, that's what it is.

I think pretty much everyone on here realizes that the move is propaganda. If you have any doubts, go to the movie's webpage and it will become even more obvious.

Despite it being propaganda, there are some truths behind it. Will it stop me from supporting the park? No. Do I think Sea World needs to continue to change their practices. Yes. If SeaWorld cared for the animals now the same way that they were cared for when Tilly was in Canada (yes that was NOT Sea world) there would reason to boycott, but that is far from the case.

Again to be fair, many of the acts are trying to distance themselves from the controversy. Its not really fun to be bombarded with countless hate messages surrounding the documentary. Agree with their decision or not.

If these bands get their feelings hurt by some loser internet trolls hiding behind their keyboard and monitor then they've got some serious issues. It's all about money and their image (although my opinion of these bands is that they pretty much sucked before this whole thing happened anyway).

Personally, I think the event is going be better without them.

(December 19, 2013) Orlando, Fla. – A sub-adult female manatee was rescued yesterday from the St. John’s River near Jacksonville, Fla. Sea2Shore had been monitoring the manatee for the past week and notified the Jacksonville Electrical Authority of her distress. The SeaWorld Rescue Team was then called to assist with her rescue after the animal began showing signs of cold stress and was not leaving the area to feed.

The 7-foot-long manatee was rescued by the SeaWorld Orlando Rescue Team with assistance from Sea2Shore and Florida Fish and Wildlife staff and volunteers. She was then transported to SeaWorld Orlando, where the park’s animal care team and veterinary staff performed a complete health exam and began providing an antibiotic treatment. The manatee will receive around-the-clock care, including regular tube feedings and fluids, and her health will continue to be monitored.

The rescued manatee is considered to be in guarded condition and is showing initial signs of cold stress, including whitening of the facial skin, and is underweight. The team remains cautiously optimistic she will make a full recovery and their goal, as with every rescue, is to return the manatee back to her natural environment.

So far in 2013, SeaWorld Orlando has rescued 18 and returned 10 manatees back to their natural environment. In collaboration with the government and other members of accredited stranding networks, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment operates one of the world’s most respected programs to rescue ill and injured marine animals, with the goal to rehabilitate and return to the ocean. SeaWorld animal experts have helped more than 22,000 animals in need - ill, injured, orphaned and abandoned - for more than four decades.

The Manatee Rescue & Rehabilitation Partnership (MRP) is a cooperative group of non-profit, private, state, and federal entities who work together to monitor the health and survival of rehabilitated and released manatees. Information about manatees currently being tracked is available at http://www.wildtracks.org.

dc5a0c1d7ab8c1ababaeae6526de3913.thumb.jpg.57cfe5f03677a1e7d1747e9bbf150bcf.jpg

A sub-adult female manatee was rescued yesterday morning from the St. John’s River near Jacksonville, Fla. Sea2Shore had been monitoring the manatee for the past week and notified the Jacksonville Electrical Authority of her distress. The SeaWorld Rescue Team was then called to assist with her rescue after the animal began showing signs of cold stress and was not leaving the area to feed.

f625db0712a8a84eabda6a6fa749a94a.thumb.jpg.81da73d7ea7515387d925d9783e396fc.jpg

The manatee was transported to SeaWorld Orlando, where the park’s animal care team and veterinary staff performed a complete health exam and began providing an antibiotic treatment. The manatee will receive around-the-clock care, including regular tube feedings and fluids, and her health will continue to be monitored.

I've started a campaign to rename all marine mammals at SeaWorld as orcas. Henceforth, bottlenose dolphin shall be known as "shiny orcas" (Orcinus shineus) sea lions as "clowning orcas" (Orcinus comedicus) and manatees as "sloppy orcas" (Orcinus ACErus) I hope this sloppy orca doesn't hurt a human.

Funny, I scoured CNN for anything about this, and what do you know, NOTHING!!! I did find some article about SeaWorld San Diego, with some school children having their overnight trip to SeaWorld cancelled because one 10 year old girl, who wants to be a veteranarian, didn't agree with the film. I went to school with many future Marine Biologists, and their goals are to work at SeaWorld, or Clearwater Aquarium, or Epcot, because places like these actually do things for the animals. Yes, captivity can be bad for such large animals, but the wild is even worse!

Side note, when is the TPR Film "BlackLie" coming out, about the collusion CNN had with the film?

So I find this kind of hilarious.

I have never looked at change.org ... until now.

I was expecting to see some sort of HUGE outcry and TONS of people backing all this anti-SeaWorld nonsense, and here is what I found....

Willie Nelson to cancel: ~9,000 supporters

Bare Naked Ladies to cancel: ~11,000 supporters

Trisha Yearwood to cancel: ~5,000 supporters

SeaWorld to end their Orca breeding program: ~14,000 supporters.

SeaWorld to release their Orcas and Dolphins: ~12,000 supporters.

Here's where it gets funny....

Help some random guy with his house payments to Bank of America: ~200,000 supporters

Wal-Mart to rehire a guy who was fired for selling a frozen turkey at a wrong price: ~404,000 supporters

Target to close their store on Thanksgiving: ~377,000 supporters

Changing YouTube's comment section back to it's original form: ~225,000 supporters

Kraft Foods Stop using dye in your cheese: ~352,000 supporters

So, here is what I've learned from Change.org:

1. People care WAAAAAAY more about Kraft cheese than Ocras and dolphins.

2. Apparently selling a frozen turkey at a wrong price is a HUGE F**KING DEAL!!!! (who knew?)

3. Those bands really do not have any fans and needed that publicity... BADLY!

4. Bare Naked Ladies is more popular than Willie Nelson!??!?

5. Holy crap change.org proves there are a lot of obnoxious, whiny, terrible people on this planet with nothing else to do!!!

6. I'm considering signing the petition for Virgin Galactic to leave Justin Bieber in space forever.

--Robb "It really sucks that SeaWorld has to put up with all this crap." Alvey

Yep and this one gets 35,000 in a day......

Thousands of "Duck Dynasty" fans are on a mission to end Phil Robertson's network suspension over his anti-gay comments -- 'cause they say A&E is denying him his human rights.

Over 35 THOUSAND people have signed a petition -- which fired up yesterday on Change.org -- demanding A&E end the suspension.

Sea World decided to finally answer all the idiots out there with a very nice open letter:

Official link: http://seaworld.com/en/ourcare/Letter

We would like to encourage as many people as possible to share that link on your Facebook, Twitter, etc...

SeaWorld: The Truth Is in Our Parks and People

An Open Letter from SeaWorld’s Animal Advocates

Inaccurate reports recently have generated questions about SeaWorld and the animals in our care. The truth is in our parks and people, and it’s time to set the record straight.

The men and women of SeaWorld are true animal advocates. We are the 1,500 scientists, researchers, veterinarians, trainers, marine biologists, aquarists, aviculturists, educators and conservationists who have dedicated our lives to the animals in our care as well as those in the wild that are injured, ill or orphaned. Whether it’s a sea lion, manatee, sea turtle or whale, we are on call 24/7.

Here are some important facts about SeaWorld and our work:

SeaWorld does not capture killer whales in the wild. Due to the groundbreaking success of our research in marine mammal reproduction, we haven’t collected a killer whale from the wild in 35 years. In fact, only two of the whales in our care were collected by SeaWorld and they continue to be in our care today. In addition, our research has led to a much greater understanding of whales in the wild, giving researchers important scientific insights surrounding marine mammal reproduction.

We do not separate killer whale moms and calves. SeaWorld recognizes the important bond between mother and calf. On the rare occasion that a mother killer whale cannot care for the calf herself, we have successfully hand raised and reintroduced the calf. Whales are only moved to maintain a healthy social structure.

SeaWorld invests millions of dollars in the care of our killer whales. In the last three years alone, we have invested $70 million in our killer whale habitats and millions of dollars annually in support of these facilities. Our habitats are among the largest in the world today. They are state-of-the-art, multimillion-gallon environments of cooled and filtered water that allow for the highest and safest standards of care. We give our animals restaurant-quality fish, exercise, veterinary care, mental stimulation, and the company of other members of their species.

SeaWorld’s killer whales’ life spans are equivalent with those in the wild. While studies continue to define the average life span of killer whales in the wild, the most recent science suggests that our killer whales’ life spans are comparable — indeed, five of our animals are older than 30, and one of our whales is close to 50.

The killer whales in our care benefit those in the wild. We work with universities, governmental agencies and NGOs to increase the body of knowledge about and the understanding of killer whales — from their anatomy and reproductive biology to their auditory abilities. Some populations of wild killer whales have been classified as endangered or threatened, demonstrating the potential critical nature of these research opportunities. This type of controlled research and study is simply not possible in the wild, and has significant real-world benefits to the killer whales that live there.

SeaWorld is a world leader in animal rescue. The millions of people who visit our parks each year make possible SeaWorld’s world-renowned work in rescue, rehabilitation and release. We are constantly innovating when it comes to this care: Our veterinarians have created nursing bottles to hand-feed orphaned whales, prosthetics to save sea turtles, and a wetsuit to help injured manatees stay afloat during rehabilitation. Whether it’s the result of natural or man-made disasters, SeaWorld is always on call and often the first to be contacted. We have rescued more than 23,000 animals with the goal of treating and returning them to the wild.

Naturalist Baba Dioum put it best when he said, “In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught.”

At SeaWorld, this has been our calling since we first opened our doors 50 years ago. It is a responsibility we do not take lightly. More than 400 million guests have visited SeaWorld. We are proud that their experiences here have a lasting and positive impact on them, and on the world in which we live.

The truth about SeaWorld is right here in our parks and people. Our guests may enter our gates having never given much thought to the remarkable animals in our oceans. When they leave with a greater appreciation for the importance of the sea, educated about the animals that live there and inspired to make a difference, we have done our job.

Edited by robbalvey

^^LOL! No I'm sure they won't, but that's okay, they have an article about how a 10 year old convinced her school not to take their annual class trip to Sea World.

On the other hand, I've been sending info out to one of our more ignorant teachers at KT's school who is also trying to cancel the Annual 1st Grade Trip to Sea World.

^^LOL! No I'm sure they won't, but that's okay, they have an article about how a 10 year old convinced her school not to take their annual class trip to Sea World.

On the other hand, I've been sending info out to one of our more ignorant teachers at KT's school who is also trying to cancel the Annual 1st Grade Trip to Sea World.

I just found a CNN article about the SWO response, and it reads like pure comedy. I want to get my popcorn and watch the comments fly in. See the slanted view for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/us/seaworld-newspaper-ads/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Kinda wish they would have started the "damage control" a little bit sooner. I think it has gotten to the point where this letter might not actually help SeaWorld and will just give Blackfish more media attention.

It would be great if an impartial third party documentarian could come in and make an object film on how SeaWorld cares for their marine life.

^I feel that SeaWorld gave the public too much credit. They really believed that people would see the film for what it was and understand that SeaWorld does a whole crapload of good and are good people. Eventually they just had to stand up for themselves as more lies were going around and things were getting out of control. It's sad that it came to that, but I'm glad they put something out.

^ I also feel that letter probably has been in the hands of lawyers and other senior members of SeaWorld for quite some time. I'm sure they have to really think about what they were going to say and be VERY careful how they were going to say it because they knew that anything they would write would be taken out of context and twisted around in the media.

I just found a CNN article about the SWO response, and it reads like pure comedy. I want to get my popcorn and watch the comments fly in. See the slanted view for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/us/seaworld-newspaper-ads/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And they still managed to mention how they have aired Blackfish several times within that article.