Photo TR: WFChris's Mexico Trips!

3/24/15: Guadalajara: Selva Magica and The Bullet!!! P.15
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Re: Photo TR: WF OMG Mexico!

Postby WFChris » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 pm

^That only added to the adventure for me. The only bummer that it caused is that I really wanted to go out that night and had several people on board. By the time the delay ended everybody was wiped out and changed their mind! I wish we had known at the time that we were only about a $6 USD cab ride from the hotel.
My MEXICO adventures with TPR and MORE!!!!
TOUCH ME to read along

Postby WFChris » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:13 pm

I finished up my visit to Mexico City by visiting some places I wanted to go. Being a theme park website, I will briefly revisit this part just so you can see, but I won't get too deep into it. There are no coasters or theme parks in this update, but stay tuned, I'm not done yet! Also, if you enjoy the sightseeing in Mexico City, please COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW. I have more to share and if enough people are interested I can show you some really neat spots, including a place with Miriachis on boats and a freakin castle.
photo 01.JPG
Mezcal hangovers are a completely new ballgame to me. Nonetheless, I had to get going, so I took the metro to my next destination.
photo 02.JPG
Some of the metro stations have cool art pieces right in them.
photo 03.JPG
My next stop was La Casa Azul, Museo Frida Kahlo. That's the Frida Kahlo Museum in case you didn't catch that.
photo 04.JPG
The museum is in the house she lived in, so it's quite small but being AT her house set a very cool and intimate tone.
photo 05.JPG
I didn't expect it to be as emotional as it was...and the thing is, is that it wasn't even intentionally emotional, it just was.
photo 06.JPG
This is her bed.
photo 07.JPG
Her legs were different lengths (among other issues) but she trooped on.
photo 08.JPG
The courtyard was peaceful, there was also rain threatening that day so that pushed the somber vibe.
photo 09.JPG
If you don't know about Frida, google her. I am SO GLAD I made the time to come here. It's not a very long visit so that helps too.
photo 10.JPG
This is the entry area to the museum. I 100% recommend visiting here, and the neighborhood around it, Coyoacán, is really cool as well.
photo 11.JPG
Here's her house from across the street.
photo 12.JPG
Just another 'Los Angeles is mega behind the times' observation.
photo 13.JPG
This dude was juggling in the middle of the crosswalk during red lights. Don't see that every day.
photo 14.JPG
Easy visit to Coyoacán, time to head back up to the Zona Rosa! The trains run on rubber tires and flat tracks, I guess it's this way in Paris as well.
photo 15.JPG
I love the exit signs in the metro!
photo 16.JPG
This is the neighborhood where my hotel was at. The Zona Rosa. Gay. Also touristy.
photo 17.JPG
I liked how wooded the streets were, made me feel right at home and comfortable. In tourist neighborhoods, a foot police officer can be seen at least at every corner. Some people are uncomfortable by this, but I liked it.
photo 18.JPG
One of the night clubs across the street from my hotel.
photo 19.JPG
Mexico City has a huge bike share program, these stands are EVERYWHERE, and people using the bikes were everywhere as well.
photo 20.JPG
El Ángel de la Independencia is located at a prominent intersection on Reforma.
photo 21.JPG
Reforma closes to traffic every Sunday for use by people on bikes, on foot, or anything but a vehicle.
photo 22.JPG
Another look at my neighborhood. Loved how small and cute it was!
photo 23.JPG
Hey girl hey....by the way, instead of ripping out phone booths, they turned them all into wifi hubs so there if you have Infinitum, you have city-wide wifi.
photo 24.JPG
If you look carefully, you can see El Ángel de la Independencia from my hotel window. Lucky me!
photo 25.JPG
This is an old aqueduct that sits in the middle of a busy road south of where I was staying. I think this was in Condesa.
photo 26.JPG
I know its blurry, but here's my trendy hotel room. It was something like $85 USD a night.
photo 27.JPG
Estela de Luz was erected to celebrate 200 years of independence from Spanish rule. Many of us were able to see this from our room at the first hotel but had no idea what it was. Now you know!
photo 28.JPG
Cool art along reforma. These are seats at a bus stop.
photo 29.JPG
Another blurry shot of my hotel room. You can see out into the room from the bathroom. Sexxxy!
photo 30.JPG
Well, all good things must come to an end, so here is my last shot of Mexico City at the airport. I'm going to miss you! I WILL be back!!!
photo 31.JPG
Headed back to Disneyland Airport...I mean John Wayne...I mean Santa Ana...I mean Orange County. Tomorrow, we will visit 3 more roller coasters in Mexico. Where? How did this happen? We'll find out tomorrow! POST SOME COMMENTS!
TOUCH ME to read along

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:36 pm

^ Chris, there's a pretty good comemrcial (IMhO)film about Frida Kahlo,
called simply "Frida". released in 2002, with Salma Hayek in the title role.
And she was good! Also a passionate producer of it, she was.

Here's a link to more info about the movie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120679/
Frida2002.jpg
This was the original poster for the film, I believe.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby WFChris » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks again, Bill! She can also be found on the back of the $500 peso bank note. I like how it's not just presidents on their money :lmao:
TOUCH ME to read along

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:09 am

Looks like you had an amazing trip. The fair looks great, too. Nice to see a Huss Enterprise and Mack Himalaya - fun fact that the latter stands in the Spanish section at Europa-Park under the name "La Feria". And next to that the rides look well-mantained.

Postby WFChris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 pm

^That's an excellent fun fact! I have always wanted to go to Europa and now I feel strangely closer to it :p
TOUCH ME to read along

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Hey Chris, have thoroughly enjoyed your TR. I'm fascinated by Mexico City so I say bring on some more!

Postby simon8899 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Does Mexico City Fair has any kind of website? Would be cool to plan a trip when its on so to get both parks plus a fair... :roll:

Postby WFChris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 pm

^The site I found is here, although it does not look like it's been updated for next year yet.

^^Thanks! I too am fascinated and would love to share some more pictures, just need to make sure some people here actually care! I figure it's a city we don't see too often here on TPR so perhaps there are more that are curious about this city that is so close to many of us yet so far away culturally.
TOUCH ME to read along

Postby simon8899 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 pm

^thanks - bookmarked =)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!