TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

The website is finally back up and running. It's has several artistic renditions of what the park will look like. Several attractions can be seen. Also their choice of real photos on the main page are pretty interesting. I think in the 3rd picture they are using El Toro as a picture, hopefully this has is something of a teaser. Anyways, please check it out. Glad they removed the Boomerang Picture. I didn't want that to be a launch ride, so un-original. http://grandtx.com/

P.s. if that wasn't El Toro, what was it?

The third picture looks more like colossus at Heide Park in my opinion.

Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back. Especially the way it was cut up... The dates on the docs says Oct 2013... the person creating these plans wasn't following the status of the ride.

Edited by vacoaster09

Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back. Especially the way it was cut up... The dates on the docs says Oct 2013... the person creating these plans wasn't following the status of the ride.

Are you thinking the one from Kentucky Kingdom? That one was dismantled poorly, but last I heard i though the one from Astroworld was just sitting around and waiting to be put back together like the guy above me said.

Greezed' Lightning is gone! There's no way it's coming back.

It's been sitting around, waiting for someone to piece it back together. Still I count 5 coasters, a dark ride, a swing ride. AHH

I see several other flat rides and also a drop tower! If this is what they are going to do, it is so much more than what I expected.

Are you thinking the one from Kentucky Kingdom? That one was dismantled poorly, but last I heard i though the one from Astroworld was just sitting around and waiting to be put back together like the guy above me said.

Also keep in mind that Gerstlauer just recently did a full refurbishment of both Sooperdooperlooper AND Turbine, so it's completely possible for us to see a rebirth of Greezed Lightnin'.

Anyone know if there's a team already in place for their baseball stadium?

I still don't understand why Houston would need two minor league teams...

I still don't understand why LA or NY need two Major League Baseball Teams....

Edited by Hriscay

I saw pieces of the Greezed Lightnin at Larson International, Inc. near Lubbock over the summer. That's where the roller coaster museum is at the moment. I believe they had refurbished the trains and everything was kept in good shape. Originally it was going to Joyland who bought it but then recently Joyland was trading Greezed Lightnin with Cliff's in New Mexico for another ride. I guess Grand Texas must have bought it.

If it does come back it would be 10 years since Greezed Lightnin ran. Looks like Houston may finally get a major amusement park.

Also keep in mind that Gerstlauer just recently did a full refurbishment of both Sooperdooperlooper AND Turbine, so it's completely possible for us to see a rebirth of Greezed Lightnin'.

Ha inv. Ridden PSYKE UNDERGROUND, my biggest hope is they do not go the lsm way. Please restore the flywheel launch, which IMHO is what makes the shuttle's charm. Admittedly what they did in Wavre is better than nada but I would kill to have an original closer to home... Hopefully that's what you texans get

Ha inv. Ridden PSYKE UNDERGROUND, my biggest hope is they do not go the lsm way. Please restore the flywheel launch, which IMHO is what makes the shuttle's charm. Admittedly what they did in Wavre is better than nada but I would kill to have an original closer to home... Hopefully that's what you texans get

Thank you, I agree 100%. It would be a shame to re-do the ride with LSM's. No matter what we've lost one schwarzkop, Viper. Lets not lose another if we have the chance to save it.

I saw pieces of the Greezed Lightnin at Larson International, Inc. near Lubbock over the summer. That's where the roller coaster museum is at the moment. I believe they had refurbished the trains and everything was kept in good shape. Originally it was going to Joyland who bought it but then recently Joyland was trading Greezed Lightnin with Cliff's in New Mexico for another ride. I guess Grand Texas must have bought it.

If it does come back it would be 10 years since Greezed Lightnin ran. Looks like Houston may finally get a major amusement park.

Yup, it's installation at Cliff's had been delayed/canceled so it is highly possible Greezed Lightnin' is returning to Houston!

Anyone know if there's a team already in place for their baseball stadium?

I still don't understand why Houston would need two minor league teams...

I still don't understand why LA or NY need two Major League Baseball Teams....

That's a terrible comparison. The Angels are in Anaheim, with a local population base of 3 million in Orange County. The LA/OC region has a total population of 13 million.

The Mets are in Queens (local population of 2.3 million for JUST that borough), and the Yankees are in the Bronx (1.4 million). The region? Almost 20 million.

Houston? 2 million in the city and 6 million for the entire region.

Going to be tough for them to support two minor league teams with a smaller population base. Though you could argue the Astros already are their second minor league team...

I shocked that people are speculating on rides based on concept art!!!!

Oh wait, I'm not surprised.

As far as minor league baseball teams, many survive in close proximity to each other in metro areas smaller than Houston. And less I realize the premise of the original minor league baseball comment was to mock the Astros, not to debate minor league baseball team placement.

Edited by larrygator

Though you could argue the Astros already are their second minor league team...

That's what I meant, then I remembered Sugarland had a team... anyways we're off topic. I'm excited to see this get closer and closer. Fingers crossed for the Shuttle loop.

Edit: ^Larry got it.

It's nice that we finally have some sort of idea of what the park's layout would be like and have a rough idea of what rides may be included.

The aerial shot of the park site seems to put it in the middle of other development which kind of has me thinking NIMBYs will begin to oppose everything the park wants to put in once the gates open.

Though you could argue the Astros already are their second minor league team...

They are. I was a bit disappointed to hear that MLB decided to move them over to the AL rather than Colorado or Arizona. For a team that made it to the World Series within the last decade, they are a sad sight.

I would normally agree with you but a shuttle loop is a one-of-a-kind ride and having a concept showing a shuttle loop on the park map is overwhelming evidence that one is planning to be built.

Edited by ernierocker

I would normally agree with you but a shuttle loop is a one-of-a-kind ride and having a concept showing a shuttle loop on the park map is overwhelming evidence that one is planning to be built.

OK, fair enough on the Shuttle Loop situation, but commenting on the silhouette of a wooden coaster in concept art seems very speculative. Maybe Robb can ask manufacturers at IAAPA if they have submitted RFPs for this proposed park.

Edited by larrygator

The Astros still manage to sell tickets. I know its a shock to some. The Sugarland Skeeters actually do decent in ticket sales. I have a friend who works the organization and stated that just the population around Sugarland is enough to keep the stadium going. I have personally been to two games and it was busy at the ball park. I think there is enough business to support another baseball team. Perhaps the Stros will move one of the minor league teams to that stadium. I'm not to worried about the baseball stadium since its supposed to be one of the last things built.

Greezed Lightnin used to be listed on www.rides4u.com but now it is not. Hopefully because it was sold to Grand Texas.