TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

When going to Lake Compounce earlier this year we found a great local Mexican Restaurant one exit up on rt. 84 in Stonington (Queen St, sorry, I don't know the exit number). There are a ton of chain restaurants including Bertuccis, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Moes, but we decided to head to Puerto Vallarta. It was a great Mexican place with awesome food, and amazing drinks and despite only 3 stars on Yelp, it was beyond delicious. Only downside is that it's 2 hours from my house . http://www.puertovallartausa.com

Edited by Moose

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Six Flags Great Adventure has a lot of crap dining in its immediate surroundings (Tommy's, next to KFC, is way overpriced and serves awful food, IMO), but for anyone interested in non-fast food eats, drive down Rte 537 past Six Flags, away from I-195 towards Mt Holly. I highly recommend the Plumstead Grill, located near the 537/539 intersection, just under 10 minutes past the park. Great food everytime I eat there for very reasonable prices!

http://www.theplumstedgrill.com/

Six Flags Great Adventure has a lot of crap dining in its immediate surroundings (Tommy's, next to KFC, is way overpriced and serves awful food, IMO), but for anyone interested in non-fast food eats, drive down Rte 537 past Six Flags, away from I-195 towards Mt Holly. I highly recommend the Plumstead Grill, located near the 537/539 intersection, just under 10 minutes past the park. Great food everytime I eat there for very reasonable prices!

http://www.theplumstedgrill.com/

I might try this place one today. I usually head in the other directions towards Route 9 and have stopped to meet friends at Escondido's in Freehold for food and drinks.

https://www.facebook.com/EscondidoNJ

• 2 weeks later...

For Playland's Castaway Cove: Clancy's by the Sea (1244 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ) http://oceancity.clancysrestaurantgroup.com/

I had sweet potato fries and a Reuben there for lunch, and both were fantastic. Not too expensive, really nice atmosphere, and when I went (end of June, mid day) I was literally the only customer in the restaurant, which was really weird and awesome.

To get there from the park, just travel about 1,000 feet west of the park on the boardwalk.

For Playland's Castaway Cove: Clancy's by the Sea (1244 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ) http://oceancity.clancysrestaurantgroup.com/

I had sweet potato fries and a Reuben there for lunch, and both were fantastic. Not too expensive, really nice atmosphere, and when I went (end of June, mid day) I was literally the only customer in the restaurant, which was really weird and awesome.

To get there from the park, just travel about 1,000 feet west of the park on the boardwalk.

There is so much good food on the boardwalk that I never even thought about venturing off the boardwalk, maybe I'll try this place in the future.

^Perhaps you may be mistaken of its location, for it is still on the boardwalk; I was looking at all the colorful "stuff" along the waterfront, and there it was, about 1,000 feet west of the park.

EDIT: Now I see why you may be confused, for there are multiple Clancy's locations in the area.

I'll add Portillo's to the list for Knott's Berry Farm. One of only two in CA of this famous Chicago chain happens to be in the Buena Park Mall right across from Knott's. Fantastic hot dogs! And fries! And shakes!

Sorry to get the thread off topic, but I HAD to step in! I LOVE Portillo's- I have nearly every Portillo's restaurant location credit minus the Cali ones and 2 of the newest ones here in Chicago. Their hot dogs are the best anywhere! In addition to the dogs, fries, and shakes as Joey mentioned. Also make sure to try the italian beef sandwich, and tell them you want it "dipped" in the beef gravy if you're eating in the restaurant- the soak the bun in the gravy and it makes it even better. If you're taking it to go order it with "extra gravy" and your bun will be thoroughly soaked by the time you get home In addition to the italian beef, the italian beef and sausage combo sandwich is also fantastic, and so are their tamales.

I now know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow, thanks a lot!

*For Busch Gardens Tampa, I'll throw in Skipper's Smokehouse. It's a restaurant built not in a restaurant, but a "hive" if you will of trailers laid end to end. There's a stage outside but you eat inside of a trailer. They serve seafood including local crawfish and gator tail.

1385530_725680124127684_94130339_n.jpg

I can haz gator tail!

*For Kings Island, there's a chain in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky tri-state called Skyline Chili. It's got some chili that some but not all care for. I describe it as "so nasty it's tasty" to people who've not eaten it. Their chili has a cinnamon taste to it, and some like it and some don't, but it's my favorite chili dog. And for Kings Islanders like myself, it's almost as much of a symbol of Kings Island as the Eiffel Tower or The Beast. Wikipedia says it's also in Florida, but it still remains mostly a regional thing. A lot of you might know about it, but if you didn't, check it out! I think there's one even inside of Kings Island!

• 2 months later...

OK, even though I can already hear Larry and other New Yorkers snickering about this one, I'm going to add it to the thread: the New York Deli and Pizza Restaurant in Lightfoot, Va.

Yes, while I agree that nothing can really compete with an actual deli in New York, I've heard locals in Williamsburg raving about this place for some time--and it is pretty good. Their burgers are very nice, indeed, and I picked up a good sausage-and-mushroom pizza there today. The sandwiches I saw others enjoying also looked pretty tasty. A local friend of mine loves their gyros, and being as she's Greek, I reckon she knows of what she speaks.

They're open from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm, but closed on Mondays.

Directions from Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

Take I-64 West toward Richmond

Take the Rt. 199 Lightfoot exit.

Take the Lightfoot exit off of Rt. 199--turn left.

The New York Deli is on the right side of the road before you reach the Williamsburg Pottery.

7385976_NYDeilFront.jpg.2c8ae0a5b02814d9e169a89fc972e8c1.jpg

The Deli used to be in a strip mall next door, but they moved into this building a few years ago. I think it used to be a Burger King.

591112312_NYDeilSide.thumb.jpg.1f1346f24c50eef75551b9c5d5564b81.jpg

Trust Lady Liberty.

298112118_NYDeilPizza.thumb.jpg.d4fb7249aa377d529d98cdd72159c5ea.jpg

Here's the pizza I'll be dining on for a few days (along with a green salad).

Edited by cfc

If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good! It's by the Charlotte Convention Center. There are a few in South Carolina too. Also, there are locations in D.C., so if you're visiting Six Flags America, make sure to visit one. 105959432_FuelLogo.jpg.c6c1ff955bd718e8eb85d765f707eeff.jpg

Edited by tarheel1231

• 3 weeks later...