Photo TR: Chuck's Epic Orlando Weekend

Part 2: Universal & Fun Spot America
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Chuck's Epic Orlando Weekend

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 am

Aw, I made Joey sad . . . :(

Well, life goes on--in this case, to Universal.

Universal had made a lot of changes since my last visit: Springfield, Transformers, Despicable Me, "new" Spider-man. So, Erik Johnson (and later, just to confuse things, Eric Johnson) and I hit both the Studio and Islands of Adventure. My thoughts:

Even though I haven't watched The Simpsons regularly for a few years, I've always thought that the good people of Springfield were ideal for theme-park treatment. This Springfield redo was long overdo, and Universal did a good job. Duff Beer, which is the product of a local microbrewery, while not the greatest beer ever (especially for $7.00 a pop), is a cut above mass-produced beers like Budweiser. And although I wimped out on the the chicken-and-waffle sandwich, the pink doughnut was pretty good. I'll definitely go back to check out their other food offerings.

I'm not a fan of the Transformers movies or cartoons, but I like the ride quite a bit (more so than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but not quite as much as Spider-man). They story made at least some sense, even if you haven't seen the movies, and the mix of animation with physical effects was very well done. We rode it three times that day (thanks to the very useful single-rider line).

The "new" Adventures of Spider-man was excellent--the new animation looks great and has much more detail. This remains the best of the Universal Orlando attractions.

We skipped Despicable Me due to horrendous lines (we should've rode it first thing in the morning, when there was but a ten-minute wait). I'm not a big fan of the Minions, anyway, although I do find their master, Gru, amusing. Maybe next time.

Revenge of the Mummy and Men in Black were great, as usual, and Rip, Ride & Rockit was running quite well, despite all the national media attention it received earlier in the week. ;) One of these days, I have to try that mini-golf course, too.
01.jpg
It's always important to remember where you parked; in this case, we were on the roof.
02.jpg
Good morning, Universal. They were open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm due to Halloween Horror Night, which I skipped this year.
03.jpg
Well, time to purchase my one-day, two-park ticket (and part with about $130--sheesh!). Word to the wise: Park tickets are about $20 cheaper when purchased online. (I was kind of winging it that weekend.)
04.jpg
What? Didn't this ride suffer a MAJOR NEWS-MAKING BREAKDOWN earlier in the week?
05.jpg
Does Universal not care for the safety of their guests? ;)
06.jpg
Not from the Walking Dead. Just thought I'd make that clear.
07.jpg
"Hmm--I must find a way to relate to my human allies . . . Greetings! I am Optimus Prime . . . er . . . um . . . smoke 'em if you got 'em?"
08.jpg
This is a very good ride, indeed.
09.jpg
Must . . transform . . . and . . . steal . . . All Spark . . . for . . . Megatron . . .
10.jpg
OK, here is the typical Hollywood interpretation of a useless government official who simply doesn't understand that the military is right about everything. (Then again, movies tend to stack the deck a bit.)
11.jpg
"My apologies for that 'smoke 'em if you got 'em' message earlier, freedom fighters. So, er, fight the good fight, give 110%, and any other football-game platitudes you may care to emulate. Or just sit well in your seats. That's really all we can ask of you."
12.jpg
Apparently, this is a "scare zone," so I acted appropriately.
13.jpg
"Lame! Get your butt outta our zone, mortal moron."
14.jpg
Yay! I've always wanted to visit Springfield.
15.jpg
I think I see two of my role models down there.
16.jpg
Yep, I've always patterned my life after Lard Lad . . .
17.jpg
. . . and Chief Wiggum, like any good American.
18.jpg
I wonder if you can get a Krusty-Partially-Gelatinated-Non-Dairy-Gum-Based-Beverage here?
19.jpg
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
20.jpg
Yay!
21.jpg
Surly is the greatest Duff of them all.
22.jpg
Duff Man--oh, yeah!
23.jpg
Hmm--why am I suspicious of Kang and Kodos's intentions here?
24.jpg
Anything you say, oh overlords of the galaxy!
25.jpg
I love the signage in the queue. It speaks the truth.
26.jpg
I didn't know that the ride was interactive. If you raise or lower your saucer to the level of the sensor, the signs spin around and there are appropriate sound effects (in addition to being taunted by Kang).
27.jpg
There was no wait while we were there, but I imagine this sign speaks the truth on busy days.
28.jpg
Yes, any misspellings and Kang or Kodos will smite you with their futuristic weapons, such as the dreaded board with a nail in it!
29.jpg
Eric! Quit destroying Springfield!
30.jpg
"Remember to tell all your Earth friends about how great this ride is--but leave out all the 'Armageddon' stuff. Thank you." More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 am

Yes, I have some more stuff. Thank you for your patience. Why, I'll even throw in a bit of Fun Spot America, if you like.
31.jpg
I understand that at least some of these games used to be over in Amity, but were re-themed to the Simpsons and moved over here.
31a.jpg
"Ex-x-x-x-cellent!"
32.jpg
Well, when in Springfield, you may as well visit Krustyland. (I do prefer this ride to Back to the Future.)
33.jpg
Oh my god, dreams really do come true at Krustyland!
34.jpg
Screw Harry Potter! Universal needs to build this attraction now!
35.jpg
Disney owns the rights to the presidents, vice presidents, and Speakers of the House, so Krusty was left with this.
36.jpg
Has Krusty already forgotten about how Sideshow Bob has tried to murder him in the past? (Well, we all believe in redemption, don't we?)
37.jpg
Hmm--it appears that something new is being added.
38.jpg
Walking Dead nerds!
39.jpg
Hey, Bruce! I didn't remove your ride! Don't take your anger out on me!
40.jpg
You know, this seems like a lot of trouble just to put in a Smokey and the Bandit attraction.
41.jpg
I'm not sure if the new Breakfast Club simulator will be worth it, either--unless you get to punch Emilio Estevez and Anthony Michael Hall in the face.
42.jpg
I can't believe they took out Jaws to install a Smokey and the Bandit/Breakfast Club attraction, but I guess we all need to get on with our lives.
43.jpg
Maybe a visit to Moe's will cheer me up.
44.jpg
Yes, the dank atmosphere and pervasive funk of failure are making me feel better already.
45.jpg
"You said it, friend . . . bu-u-u-u-u-u rp!"
46.jpg
The pink donut was pretty good.
47.jpg
OK, two old citizens of Springfield getting down to Bart Simpson's rap is more terrifying than anything you'll see during Horror Night.
48.jpg
Yay! Still the best ride here!
49.jpg
Super cool Spidey shades.
50.jpg
We also rode the Diagon Alley Backstage Tour.
51.jpg
Yes, we did, indeed, visit the Whizzing World of Harry Potter.
52.jpg
The single-rider line for "Mega-Bench: The Ride" has been re-routed since I last visited.
53.jpg
Back to the Studio for a Duff with my pal, Surly.
54.jpg
"Hah! I can play the PR game every bit as well as Optimus Prime! Greetings, Earth insects! Those who grovel the best will die last! I think that went well."
55.jpg
Well, may as well snag a couple of credits while I'm in town. (I skipped the kiddie coaster, though.)
55a.jpg
Such a deal!
56.jpg
This is a pretty good ride.
57.jpg
It's GCI's version of an old-fashioned out-and-back, with some 90-degree goodness thrown in.
58.jpg
Two trains at once! I rule!
59.jpg
Once again, America is safe--but for how long? That's all. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:51 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 am

As said before I think Universal did a great job on Springfield but they should have made Moe's Bar a little darker - it looks way too bright.

Did you also visit Wheelie that day?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 am

^Nope--just White Lightning and Freedom Flyer (not that into flat rides).

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:17 am

Emilio Estevez's character would never punch Michael Anthony Hall's character in the punch. His weapon of choice was duct tape. Can't wait for that Breakfast Club simulator. I haven't forgotten about you, Breakfast Club crew.

Chuck, I know you didn't ride it , but do you have any pictures of the kiddie coaster for the Park Index?
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am

^Sorry, Larry. We were only at Fun Spot for about 20 minutes or so, and I never walked over to the kiddie coaster to check it out.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 am

I did get a picture if the sign Larry. Sorry Chuxk, I guess we should have done the Minion ride first. I had no idea the line would get so long so quickly. It did not get below 75 mins after the first hour.
image.jpg
Last edited by Erik Johnson on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:21 am

^No worries, Erik. I'm indifferent toward Despicable Me, and it was worth it to take multiple rides on Transformers.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:03 am

^Great seeing you again, Chuck. The Epcot day seemed like ages ago but it was an amazing day.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:21 am

I need to get back to Universal soon to check out the new Springfield area. Fun TR.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive