Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: It Hurts So Good - Knocked About at the City Museum

Postby The Great Zo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

mattnz wrote:Good luck Andy!

Grinning like an idiot because I have no idea what I'm in for. :lmao:

What an evening -- heck, three or four hours wasn't enough time to see even half of the place. Guess I don't know how many hours we're allowed before the TPR legal department considers it too heavy a risk of serious injury. :p
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:26 am

Grest TR! I did not know about the SAW area, where was it? :?r

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am

I'll be honest, I never understood all the hype for the City Museum. After going there with TPR, I'd have to say it was one of my favorite things we did on this trip. Such a cool place, and 4 hours wasn't enough time to even see half of that place! Lots of injuries happened that night, but I don't think anyone would say it ruined how much fun they had. I think my favorite memory was TPDave hiding in the dark at the bottom of the 10 story slide, scaring the crap out of each person that would come down. I keep hoping to see pictures of some of the reactions from that, but I can't remember who took them. It might have been Hanno...

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

A Six Flags Day in St. Louis

Postby mattnz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:39 am

^^ I have absolutely no idea where the Saw room was!
^ I really do hope everyone came away without permanent injuries (apart from those of the mind...).

Our next update is Six Flags St. Louis.

Six Flags needed a bit of redemption among the trip participants after Texas, and I think everyone came away from St. Louis feeling pretty good about the chain again. Six Flags St. Louis is a park that covers all its bases: it has a good, solid line-up of coasters and flat rides, it's quite pretty, and it's in Missouri, a state I have always found to be very friendly and welcoming. The park also gave us a backstage tour and ERT sessions on American Thunder and Mr. Freeze, which was fantastic.

Both those latter rides are excellent - American Thunder (I FAR preferred the name Evel Knievel though!) is a very solid GCI woodie with good twisty elements and Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast is awesome backwards, as it was in Texas. The park also has an intense Batman clone and The Boss, a ride that will kick your ass but also deliver some great high speed thrills. I love the first drop, which just seems to go on and on.

All in all, we certainly had a 'Six Flags day'. Our group came up with a ratings system of our own by this point and we had to take a few flags off for the following:

1 flag off for inconsistent policies! This is the park where you actually had to pay for storing your loose items on the Arrow mine train, but not for many of their major rides, which made no sense whatsoever.
2 flags off for rude ride ops! The girl who ran the queue for The Boss was bossy, to say the least. In fact, I'd almost give her props for being the biggest boss of the park. We got BOSSED by both her and the ride!

It was an overcast day and what a contrast that made to our last visit in 2010, where it felt like we were on the surface of the sun...

I wish the park well in the future. A good, stand-out steel coaster is what the park needs, and I'm sure one day they'll get it.
IMG_0001 (Copy).JPG
We're ready to have a Six Flags day, even if the park isn't!
IMG_0002 (Copy).JPG
For some reason, I decided to wear a Six Flags St. Louis shirt to Six Flags St. Louis.
IMG_0003 (Copy).JPG
The park has a nice, classic feel, like a lot of parks built in the 1970s during the American theme park-building renaissance.
IMG_0004 (Copy).JPG
First up on today's schedule was a backstage tour of Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast.
IMG_0005 (Copy).JPG
It was too early for the river rapids ride.
IMG_0006 (Copy).JPG
This is the director of maintenance and grandfather of Mr. Freeze who led our tour, as in 2010!
IMG_0007 (Copy).JPG
The dual-loading station.
IMG_0008 (Copy).JPG
We got to walk down the launch track.
IMG_0009 (Copy).JPG
LIMs and such.
IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
We were led outside to an area usually off-limits to the public.
IMG_0011 (Copy).JPG
Backstage tours are always much appreciated. Thanks Six Flags!
IMG_0012 (Copy).JPG
We'll ride you later Mr. Freeze...
IMG_0013 (Copy).JPG
American Thunder (formerly Evel Knievel) awaited us for ERT.
IMG_0014 (Copy).JPG
It's a really fun ride that criss crosses over and under itself multiple times.
IMG_0015 (Copy).JPG
I liked the fun facts in the queue.
IMG_0016 (Copy).JPG
The ride even has a little bit of airtime.
IMG_0017 (Copy).JPG
Nice empty station during ERT, which was split between American Thunder and Mr. Freeze.
IMG_0018 (Copy).JPG
Apparently I couldn't wait for a train while taking this photo...
IMG_0019 (Copy).JPG
American Thunder is a good wooden coaster in a state with some great woodies.
IMG_0020 (Copy).JPG
We went back to Mr. Freeze for some ERT rides, and it was similarly excellent to its cousin in Texas - a really fun launched coaster with some great forces that doesn't seem to have aged at all since it opened in 1998.
IMG_0021 (Copy).JPG
I loved looking down from 200 feet in the air!
IMG_0022 (Copy).JPG
Six Flags St. Louis has some scenic spots.
IMG_0023 (Copy).JPG
We were led through the park...
IMG_0024 (Copy).JPG
...to be first riders of the day on the all-new old, relocated Boomerang (apart from the ride op in this photo, who has the worst job in the park!).
IMG_0025 (Copy).JPG
TPR members anticipate their fate...
IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
The boomerang element where the ride gets its name.
IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
Yellow trains make a delightful contrast against the green track and orange supports...
IMG_0028 (Copy).JPG
I don't remember this one being too bad, actually. But these rides are just not fun at all! Why do we have to keep riding them?! (I blame Six Flags Over Texas...)
IMG_0029 (Copy).JPG
Alas, Superman: Tower Of Power, the park's 230 foot Intamin drop tower, was closed. (That's at least half a flag off, I think!)
IMG_0030 (Copy).JPG
I was looking forward to trying out the park's classic woodie, Screamin' Eagle, again.
IMG_0031 (Copy).JPG
The view is somewhat tarnished nowadays...
IMG_0032 (Copy).JPG
Station shot.
IMG_0033 (Copy).JPG
Screamin' Eagle is a fun ride, but doesn't deliver any significant airtime, which is a bit of a shame. I do love the layout and scenery, however.
IMG_0034 (Copy).JPG
Onwards to other attractions...
IMG_0035 (Copy).JPG
Somewhere around here is...
IMG_0036 (Copy).JPG
...a generically re-themed spinning coaster.
IMG_0037 (Copy).JPG
Just your standard Gerstlauer spinner. (I spot TPR members!)
IMG_0038 (Copy).JPG
I do think these rides are good for the parks that have them. It's nice to have a few mid-sized coaster thrills.
IMG_0039 (Copy).JPG
Laura is a bona-fide carousel enthusiast!
IMG_0040 (Copy).JPG
Xcalibur is one weird contraption and definitely worth a spin.
IMG_0041 (Copy).JPG
There aren't too many of these Evolution rides left!
IMG_0042 (Copy).JPG
This is my only photo of The Boss. Shortly afterwards I got BOSSED and had to put my loose items away.
IMG_0043 (Copy).JPG
I'm not sure what we were expecting...
IMG_0044 (Copy).JPG
Haha!
IMG_0045 (Copy).JPG
We rode the river rapids back in 2010 but didn't feel like a spin today. Especially since it wasn't 114 degrees like last time (I'm NOT kidding!).
IMG_0046 (Copy).JPG
Glad to see the Scooby-Doo Ghostblasters ride was still here.
IMG_0047 (Copy).JPG
This is a really fun, old school version utilising a former dark ride.
IMG_0048 (Copy).JPG
For some reason we all found this ride name funny.
IMG_0049 (Copy).JPG
Some pretty fountains for a good cause...
IMG_0050 (Copy).JPG
Oh my God! The Looney Tunes 80s show is chain-wide!!
IMG_0051 (Copy).JPG
The DC Comics Plaza was the least shaded, and most generic, area of the park.
IMG_0052 (Copy).JPG
But I will never turn down a Batman ride!
IMG_0053 (Copy).JPG
This one, like all the clones that drop to the right for some reason, was very intense.
IMG_0054 (Copy).JPG
A very nice ride.
IMG_0055 (Copy).JPG
This ride was not so nice.
IMG_0056 (Copy).JPG
Why on earth did we ride Ninja when we already had the credit?!
IMG_0057 (Copy).JPG
We must be gluttons for punishment. This ride BOSSED us, and not in a good way!
IMG_0058 (Copy).JPG
The Superman drop tower and all-new SkyScreamer, with River King Mine Train and Ninja in the foreground.
IMG_0059 (Copy).JPG
Speaking of River King Mine Train, it's a little hard to photograph, but you can get some views from the Ninja queue.
IMG_0060 (Copy).JPG
Just your standard Arrow mine train which originally had two tracks, the other half of which we rode at Magic Springs.
IMG_0061 (Copy).JPG
I am always intrigued as to why on earth the park once put stand-up trains on this thing!
IMG_0062 (Copy).JPG
We had a fantastic lunch at Six Flags St. Louis, mainly because the servers didn't know when to stop on the generous helpings.
IMG_0063 (Copy).JPG
We wanted to ride the train, but time was running a bit short...
IMG_0064 (Copy).JPG
It looks like Six Flags St. Louis turn part of their park into a giant dance party after dark. We noticed this trend throughout many US parks this year. Must be a new trend - which we loved!
IMG_0065 (Copy).JPG
All in all, we definitely had a Six Flags day. Next up: drunk in the Dells! Thanks for reading.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby kailisun98 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 am

Which of the Mr.Freeze rides do you think is better after riding both?
Top 5 Steel: 1. Outlaw Run @ SDC 2. Flight Deck@CGA 3. X2@ SFMM 4. Medusa@ SFDK 5.YOLOcoaster @ SFMM
Top 3 Wooden: 1. El Toro@ SFGA 2.Gold Striker @ CGA 3. Apocolypse@ SFMM 4. "High Five"@ OCT Wuhan
Total Coaster Count: Wooden: 15 Steel: 143 Total: 158

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 am

kailisun98 wrote:Which of the Mr.Freeze rides do you think is better after riding both?

I found them both pretty much the same - if there's a difference in terms of the launch, etc, I didn't notice. But I'd give St. Louis' the edge because it's in Missouri.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Ninja bad. Mr. Freeze good.

Six Flags St. Louis is a nice but, I think, underrated park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm

If I remember correctly, they actually scanned our tickets before giving them to us so we could get into the park more smoothly that morning. And I can't remember exactly who it was, might have been the VP of the park, but definitely someone high up, came out to say hi to us as well. Little things like that definitely make a big difference. The park in general was definitely nicer than expected too.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:16 am

^^^Same here, after hearing the Texas one is more intense, I did not anticipate too much on this but ended up loving this. I honestly do not understand myself AT ALL that I chose Ninja as my #100 and rode it twice :angel: . I don't like their lose articles policy either that our Q-Bot group had to seperate multiple times and it really wasted a lot of time so for me, 2 flags down. Plus one flag down for the roughness of the Boomerang and one flag down for thelack of restrooms.

So glad that you enjoyed the park a lot, probably Silver Dollar City was too great that I did not even enjoy Cedar Point :roll: ...

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 am

The Batman coaster is actually the Studio Backlot area. The DC Comics Plaza is where Mr. Freeze is. Sorry, it isn't that important, I was just distracted by it. And I agree, it is the most generic area of the park. And the only thing that matches the backlot theme is the pavement.

Good photos! The one of Xcalibur is funky and actually looks like the "arm" is bent. And I love any photo that has Mr. Freeze in it. :b
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive