TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

On the Facebook picture, someone asked if FT will be open and Knoebels responded "Weather permitting." How foolhardy would it be of me to go either Saturday or Sunday for Flying Turns? The weather forecast right now is cloudy, but no rain.

Dick Knoebel said at the closing ceremonies that it would be open next weekend.

Like all parks, weather will be an issue. I read some reports that they had said they wouldn't run it in the rain. But they DID run it as long as the line was still there at the end of PPP. And it was raining, somewhat hard at points. (The rain started just before the 10PM end of ride time.)

So, it's possible that rain turns out to be less of an issue than they thought it would be.

As I recall, Busch Gardens Williamsburg annouced plans for a "Virginia Reel" like ride, and concept art was even published in the local paper. But that was many years ago, and nothing ever came of it. Anybody else recall this, or is my old memory playing tricks on me?

Yeah, by Arrow, right? I remember seeing the Arrow prototype shots.

Kim Pedersen (Of the original 'backyard coasters fame') posted a pretty good back car POV of Flying Turns! Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhssEESfT5I

I'd also highly suggest subscribing to his channel. He has some VERY interesting roller coaster videos. Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/user/monorailguru

This ride just looks like pure fun, I can't wait to get back to Knoebels one of these days and give it a try.

I may have missed it somewhere in the past several pages but what is the height restriction for this thing? I've got a 1 year old that's growing like a weed and Knoebels might just have to be in the works a few years from now....

This ride just looks like pure fun, I can't wait to get back to Knoebels one of these days and give it a try.

I may have missed it somewhere in the past several pages but what is the height restriction for this thing? I've got a 1 year old that's growing like a weed and Knoebels might just have to be in the works a few years from now....

^^ 400pounds per car so two 200 pound people are able to fit in one car

So fascinating to see a ride "grand open" and the wood be so weathered!

I'd love to see how that thing drains in the rain ... it's hard to to tell, but do they have cutouts in different places for drainage?

Also, and this will sound odd, but does the entire ride really smell of wood? Just looking at that POV it seems like it would smell like you're in a active lumber yard, but obviously there's not been a lot of fresh cuts made to this thing lately!

What a story of persistence and determination in getting this thing running!

I'd love to see how that thing drains in the rain ... it's hard to to tell, but do they have cutouts in different places for drainage?

I'm also wondering how often they have to sweep it out and how long that takes? The leaves will be falling really soon so near the end of the season that might be something they have to deal with.

I'm also wondering how often they have to sweep it out and how long that takes? The leaves will be falling really soon so near the end of the season that might be something they have to deal with.

Yes, they have drains through out the ride. I'm trying to find a picture I took when we get a backstage tour of the ride. But it does have some many drains.