TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Judging from SF relationship and success with RMC, and the predicted success Goliath will bring for SFGAm, I dont think it is too weak of an assumption that there is a good chance we could see a new RMC in Thunder Run's spot for 2015. Thoughts?

Judging from SF relationship and success with RMC, and the predicted success Goliath will bring for SFGAm, I dont think it is too weak of an assumption that there is a good chance we could see a new RMC in Thunder Run's spot for 2015. Thoughts?

You mean Rolling Thunder right?

I went to Great Adventure with the sole purpose of taking pictures today! Didn't ride a thing. Lines were overflowing out of their queues.

The sky isn't too nice looking, but I can't do much about that!

Enjoy!

I love close-ups of track. I don't know why.

[attachment=8]IMG_6306.jpg[/attachment]

Because you have a 200mm, that's why Thanks for the photos. I also have a 200mm. I know I'll get to the park eventually, so I know how some angles will possibly pan out now. Cool!

Assuming you mean Rolling Thunder...

Great Adventure already has the #1 wood coaster in the world (according to the Mitch Hawker poll), so I don't really think they need another crazy wood coaster. Honestly I don't see them getting another wood coaster for a long time, because even a great GCI would be a tough sell when you already have El Toro.

They have no shortage of space to expand (don't forget about Old Country) but I think their next big coaster will probably be a wingrider simply because there's not much else they don't already have. They have every other kind of B&M coaster covered (standup, invert, floorless, flying and mega), they have the tallest coaster in the world, they have an amazing wood coaster, they have family coasters... what's left?

They could build a dive coaster but they haven't built one of those in the US in years and Great Adventure already has a coaster with a 400+ foot vertical drop, they have a hyper, and a strata so I don't know if they'd bother with a giga since it wouldn't even be the tallest coaster in the park and a mega-lite is every enthusiast's wet dream but we all know Six Flags isn't going to build one. A Wingrider is a painfully obvious choice for this park. There isn't one within hundreds of miles so it's a totally unique concept for the area.

As if Great Adventure needs any more B&Ms.

As much as one can argue that Rolling Thunder wasn't really a family coaster, that's how people saw it judging by the complaints. They could definitely market a racing-White-Lightning-type ride as a new option for families who want to take their kids on a wooden coaster who aren't ready for the craziness of El Toro. Hell, people might probably just think they're rebuilding/reopening RT and be happy with that.

A bit belated, but thanks to all for the advice! I got back to California last night and was still thinking about El Toro. That was my favorite ride without question, although Nitro was pretty awesome, especially at night in the front, having never ridden it before .

Friday night the park was pretty empty, and we were able to get in some good rides despite our flight being late and only being at the park for ~2.5-3 hours. I assume Fright Fest started so early to have it start on Friday the 13th, right? Sunday also wasn't too bad, and we were able to check off most of what we missed on Friday before heading to the airport. Definitely a great time, and I'll have to make my way back again (need more rides on El Toro, and to have time for the Safari). Thanks again for the tips!

Hi everyone.

My boyfriend and I are visiting Six Flags Great Adventure for the first time ever. We are going in October during Fright Fest. We are planning on getting gold flash passes for one day. Does anyone know if we might be able to get everything done in one day or if it will be better to go for 2 days? We want to try and do everything the park has to offer and will probably never be going here again so we want to make the most of it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Yes I meant Rolling Thunder, not Thunder Run lol! Sorry, I was tired when I posted that.

So if they were to get a Wingrider, do you think it would be an X Flight clone, or custom? There is a lot of space there to make an awesom custom! Maybe even steal Gatekeeper's title.

Screamscape posted rumor that SFGAdv may be on tap for a new Coaster for 2015. It stated that an RMC could be a possibility, one similar to the future Goliath at SFGAm. Then it went on to say that a Coaster that would be more suitable to replace the Rolling Thunder void would be something like a GCI. Now, I'm completely in agreement with that. Yes, RMC is amazing, but we need to remember that GCI provides some of the best traditional Wooden Coaster experiences there are today. They are still my second favorite Coaster designers (second only to B&M), and I would be ecstatic to see them put in an amazing design at SFGAdv. Just thought I would share what I read, and my opinion on it.

The park said they are replacing Rolling Thunder with a walk through safari area.

They commented in the press release that you would be walking past animals on your way to the new ride.

There is no reason why we wouldn't see them build a medium thrilling wooden coaster in the near future. It may not take the exact same location as rolling thunder, but more likely take the space behind the tower of Kingda Ka that is now unused as the safari is entered from a different location. this also opens up that location of the park for further expansion.

Personally, I would rather see something added to the other side of the park... right now it only has Batman and Nitro to really pull guests to that side, the dark night and skull mountain and just added rides that you wouldn't walk over to directly. I commented weeks ago about how an X-Flight clone would fit into the old chiller space quite nicely... though it would be nice to see them add a wooden out and back along the parking lot on that side of the park, maybe do the turn around the water tower and come back... would make the parking lot view even better than it already is!!!

The park said they are replacing Rolling Thunder with a walk through safari area.

They commented in the press release that you would be walking past animals on your way to the new ride.

Can you post a link to this press release?

I would not be surprised to see a walk through area, but I'm confused why they shut down the existing animal encounter area this year.

I think it would be very safe to assumer that a new coaster, or at least some type of thrill ride will go in Rolling Thunder's spot. It just wouldn't make sense to demolish it if nothing's going to replace it. And, would the walk through Safari exhibits be like the ones between KK and El Toro?