Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 am

DanM64 wrote:I want to throw in a 3rd recommendation for Palermo's near Hershey. I went last year, and the pizza and pasta I got were both fantastic!

I'll definitely have to try them next time I'm at Hershey. Usually we just go to Red Robin out of familiarity, but that place looks amazing.

Also, near Lake Compounce there is a good diner, Kizl's Family Restaurant (http://www.kizls.com/), that has a really good breakfast and pretty good lunch and dinner as well.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure Opening Day & Hersheypark Opening Day

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Anything » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 am

There's good food as in taste - and that's virtually everything that's fast food or bad for you - and the GOOD good food, which generally I've found you have to prepare yourself!

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Time to bump this thread...

Hersheypark - About a 15 minute drive from the park is a place called Arooga's. If you are looking for awesome wings & a huge draft beer selection, you need to check this place out.

Another awesome find is Troegs Brewery which I believe is less than a mile away from the park heading East on the Hershey Highway (quit thinking dirty thoughts, people!)

I included some photos of my recent experiences in Philrad's Phoodie thread. They are great places to visit if you need a break from riding coasters and don't crave regular crappy theme park food!

Aroogas

Troegs

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Just updated the index--thanks for all the suggestions.

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm

There are two location by Santa's Village Azoosment Park.

Santa's Village
The first is Van's Frozen Custard located at 16 E Main St East Dundee. They, relatively, recently moved to this larger location and added an expanded menu. They have vanilla, chocolate, and whatever the special or two of the day is frozen custard, as well as sundaes, shakes, malts, etc. Additionally, they make everything fresh daily. The new location has also added hot foods. I will usually get the Peach Melba Crisp or the Sweet & Salty(vanilla with pretzel sticks, rasberries, and cheesecake bites) sundaes.
http://www.vansfrozencustard.com/index.html

Located behind Vans at 8 S. River St. in East Dundee, Benedict's Eggs and More is a pancake house. They are only open from 7-2, and they can draw large crowds, especially on weekends. I will usually get the potato pancakes. They give you a lot of food here, so come hungry.
http://www.benedictseggs.com/

Both of these are located just a couple minutes northwest of Santa's Village.

Six Flags Great America

Pita Inn
While not really close, it is on the way to the park from the south. This is a chain of Medeterrain cuisine restaurants with locations in Skokie, Glenview, Wheeling, and Mundelin. I will usually get the lunch special($4 or $5 depending on if you get chicken) or the hummus and shawarma plate. The lunch special is a great deal and could easily provide two meals if you weren't going anywhere. Again, it is a bit of a drive as Mundelin would be the closest, but it is well worth it. Plus, it easily beats the chain restaurants outside the park.
http://www.pita-inn.com/index.php

Timothy O'Tooles across the street from the park is also supposed to be good. I think I had their food at Taste of Chicago one year, but I'm not sure. Even if true, my personal experience with the restaurant is not enough to say anything more, other than, I heard they are really good.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 am

Six Flags Great America- Kaiser's Pizza and Pub- only a 5 minute drive from the park. I haven't been there in a few years, but the pizza was great when I last went, on Mondays the offer 1/2 price pizza, and Tuesdays-Thursdays they offer an all you can eat pizza special!

Kaiser's Pizza and Pub- 1801 Illinois Highway 21 Gurnee, IL (IL-21 is also called Milwaukee Ave/Riverside Drive) If you head east on Grand Avenue from I-94 (or a right turn onto Grand if you're leaving the Great America from the main entrance), the first stoplight you come to after the park's main entrance will be IL-21. Take a left at that light, and Kaiser's is about a mile up the road on your right side.
http://www.kaiserspub.com/

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am

Next time you go to Kennywood, go north to New Castle, PA. It's a 45 minute drive, but it's worth it, because New Castle is home to MP Coney Island, where some of the best chili dogs and chili fries I've ever tasted currently reside.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:12 am

Movieguy wrote:Next time you go to Kennywood, go north to New Castle, PA. It's a 45 minute drive, but it's worth it, because New Castle is home to MP Coney Island, where some of the best chili dogs and chili fries I've ever tasted currently reside.

Thanks for reminding me of that. We used to go there all the time when I was growing good. If it's still as good as it was 25+ years ago, I second that recommendation.

On to my current home park, if you drive up 77 about 15-20 minutes north of Carowinds, you'll be in downtown Charlotte. There they have a city block that is EPICENTRE. One of my favorite restaurants is there with good fresh American food, BlackFinn American Saloon. EPICENTRE also has numerous other restaurants including Whisky River which is owned by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. I've heard reviews that the food is good although I've not personally eaten there. EPICENTRE has its own parking garage but they seem to charge more than double what the public parking garages are in the area.

Another favorite of mine is Ri Ra Irish Pub. It's an easy walk about 1-2 blocks away from EPICENTRE.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:59 am

Giving this thread a bump just in case anyone has discovered any other good local joints in their travels this season.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Hershey, PA is also home to the "What If..." restaurant, which I heartily recommend.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!