TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Holiday World has sent us a press release about its latest honor!

According to USA Today, the best water park in the nation is located in Indiana.

Splashin' Safari water parkHoliday World’s Splashin’ Safari took top honors in the newspaper's month-long online voting, which challenged fans to vote for their favorite water park from among 20 nominated for America’s “10 Best” Water Parks.

The newspaper reports tens of thousands of votes “poured in,” resulting in this Top 10 list:

1. Splashin’ Safari – Santa Claus, Indiana

2. Schlitterbahn – New Braunfels, Texas

3. Noah’s Ark – Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

4. Great Wolf Wilderness Lodge – Williamsburg, Virginia

5. Wilderness Territory – Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

6. Water World – Denver, Colorado

7. Water Country – Williamsburg, Virginia

8. Raging Waters – San Dimas, California

9. White Water Park – Branson, Missouri

10. Wet ‘n Wild Emerald Point – Greensboro, North Carolina

USA Today has a print circulation of 1.8 million and is the 62nd most visited website in the nation*.

The national newspaper lists Splashin’ Safari’s two water coasters, family water slides and wave pools, plus the park’s free soft drinks and sunscreen as outstanding features. Covering nearly 40 acres, Splashin’ Safari is one of the world’s largest water parks.

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are open daily through August 14 with the new Hyena Falls water-slide complex. For more information, visit www.holidayworld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

Covering nearly 40 acres

And the waterpark is still growing!

Seriously though, this award just goes to show how great Holiday World's PR department is.

On a side note, HW is sending out a survey tomorrow in their e-newsletter. Seems like a lot of parks have been sending out surveys recently, so I'm interested to see what it's about!

Covering nearly 40 acres

On a side note, HW is sending out a survey tomorrow in their e-newsletter. Seems like a lot of parks have been sending out surveys recently, so I'm interested to see what it's about!

My guess is it won't be about future ride concepts like Six Flags, SDC, Darien Lake, etc send out to guests. It might just be about guest experience or Halloween Weekends idea. When I've been asked to take an in park survey at HW, it never asks about any specific ride types. Instead, it asks what kinds of rides/slides I would like to see. (The surveyors always seem flustered when I start naming a bunch of specific rides and manufacturers.)

When it comes to future rides at HW, they are able to keep a secret better than anyone. It's impossible to figure out until they've released it....even with a few clever, and usually punny, clues. *cough* Paula Werne *cough*

By the way, did anyone see the BuzzFeed top water rides article where they called it Graffica?

My guess is it won't be about future ride concepts like Six Flags, SDC, Darien Lake, etc send out to guests. It might just be about guest experience or Halloween Weekends idea. When I've been asked to take an in park survey at HW, it never asks about any specific ride types. Instead, it asks what kinds of rides/slides I would like to see. (The surveyors always seem flustered when I start naming a bunch of specific rides and manufacturers.)

When it comes to future rides at HW, they are able to keep a secret better than anyone. It's impossible to figure out until they've released it....even with a few clever, and usually punny, clues. *cough* Paula Werne *cough*

By the way, did anyone see the BuzzFeed top water rides article where they called it Graffica?

Yeah that was basically what it was about and I expected that. I think it makes a lot of sense for them to try and improve their guest experience before they go and build a bunch of rides out on their remaining undeveloped land. Even if it's a bunch of small things like a bigger first aid building or a bigger entry plaza for Splashin' Safari. While most of us will overlook these things and wish they would build the next great coaster, these are the type of things that need to be done to allow something like the next great coaster to be built.

Oh and I can't wait for Paula to start dropping her clues! It's getting around that time of the year.

^ But none of that is anything considered major. All major expansions since the Voyage have been in the water park (Pilgrims Plunge is now officially within Splashin Safari, so I don't count it anymore. Also, it was accessible from the water park.) and the dry side is over due for some major attractions.

^ But none of that is anything considered major. All major expansions since the Voyage have been in the water park (Pilgrims Plunge is now officially within Splashin Safari, so I don't count it anymore. Also, it was accessible from the water park.) and the dry side is over due for some major attractions.

To make money, you must follow the money. And the money is leading right through Christmas and Halloween to the water park. The waterpark is ALWAYS packed. The dry park is a hit or miss.

To make money, you must follow the money. And the money is leading right through Christmas and Halloween to the water park. The waterpark is ALWAYS packed. The dry park is a hit or miss.

You're exactly right. While all of us would like to see something added to the dry park, it doesn't make sense for HW as a business to do so. People go to HW because of the waterpark, so it makes sense for them to continue to direct a good amount of their money to that area. I've said this before and I speculate that we will see the next expansion of the dry park when HW is about ready to hit 1.5 million visitors. They did this with the Voyage and Thanksgiving section to push them over 1 million visitors. I could be wrong, but that's just my thinking behind the whole dry park vs waterpark expansion debate.

So Raven Maven How them Timberliners coming? Any News? I'm really looking forward to riding those things at the next Holliwood Nights!

If I read correctly, I believe they said that testing was supposed to resume after the daily season. If that's the case, it would be after next Wednesday. I don't think they left out the possibility of them being ready for Happy Halloween Weekends. That being said, I think they should wait until next year if they're ready. I'm sure the Voyage is really rough right now with it being August, so I think it would be wise for the park to wait until after they do some off-season track work (hopefully a complete re-track). I think people would come away pretty disappointed with the ride they give if they throw them on this fall, especially after reading Robb's thoughts on the Timberliners on Hades 360. The main problem I see is, that Holiday World would be non-committal to a complete re-track job if they're not 100% sure the TL's are ready to go next spring by the end of this season.

They need to put them on Raven or Legend. Raven can clearly handle them.

I don't think they should put them on until they know the TL's can actually reduce maintenance cost.

^Yeah. I didn't say it was going to happen, I just said that needs to happen more than new trains. They have replaced a lot of the track on Voyage since I was there at the end of 2011 and I'm hearing that it is still rough.

^ 2010 and 2011 were most definitely the roughest years the Voyage has had. Last year was definitely better, but this year was probably the best it's been since 2006, for me. That was in May and The Voyage only gets rougher over the course of the season. I was there the last week of June and it was still sort of re-rideable. Of course, I'm young and can take a pretty good beating. I'm gonna try and make it out to Happy Halloween Weekends, so I'll see how it's still holding up then. As for the trains, I'm still hopeful they can make some difference, considering HW takes much better care of their roller coasters compared to Mt. Olympus or so I've read.

^That's good to hear. My body doesn't handle some of these rough rides as much as it used to although ironically enough I love wooden coasters the most. I'll have to make plans to stop and try it again when I'm in the area.

^That's good to hear. My body doesn't handle some of these rough rides as much as it used to although ironically enough I love wooden coasters the most. I'll have to make plans to stop and try it again when I'm in the area.

If you can, try visiting in the earlier part of HW's season. Not only do all the coasters run better earlier, but the park is whole lot less crowded and a lot more enjoyable. The only downside is one-train operation on all the coasters. Typically, The Voyage is a 3 train wait in the morning and right around 4 p.m. when it's not that crowded. The other two coasters are either a one train wait or a walk-on. Be careful if you visit before school typically gets out, while the crowds might be light, the kids who come on field trips can get rather annoying.