NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Page 7: Taumata Mat Racer Slides Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: NEWS: Knott's Soak City to become Aquatica San Diego

Postby darklingscribe » Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 pm

edit

dumb question, never mind

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Bloggers (Hey, that's us!) were invited to check out the park today as part of their VIP previews for their business and sales clients.

My impression is that I cannot wait to see what Sea World has in store for the future! Having never been to the park before, I did not know what to expect at all. I did, however, hear 4 or 5 different groups talk about how bad it was before and how impressed they were with it now.

As has already been noted in this thread, Sea World didn't do much in terms of new additions. They just added a turtle tank and some Flamingos. However, the main thing they did was lay the foundation for what I am sure will be an amazing water park within a few years: TONS of landscaping was planted everywhere and everything was re-painted and re-themed. The park looks fantastic and the experience was great! The employees were all friendly, the food was delicious, and did I mention the landscaping looks great? Which is all you can ask for in a 6 month turnaround since the purchase was announced.

For now, the slide offerings definitely won't "wow" any sort of ride enthusiast (newest slide is the Tornado from 2008 I believe, there is no animal interaction slide yet, or tube slide that can do double), but the slides they do have pack a surprising punch. Maybe it is just because I haven't been to a water park for a few years, but every slide I rode seemed to go faster than what I remember as being "normal."

Now onto the photos...
IMG_20130530_100603.jpg
Trees now line the front entrance, transporting you into the world of Aquatica (looking at google maps photo of Soak City...there used to be a whole lot of nothing there)
IMG_20130530_115134.jpg
You're greeted at the entrance by the Flamingo habitat and a view of the kids play island.
IMG_20130530_101855.jpg
The parks current signature attraction is the standard Proslide Tornado...love these slides! You also wouldn't be able to guess that just 6 months ago this slide was a badly faded pink and orange colored slide!
IMG_20130530_103016.jpg
A standard water park drop slide tower...also lots of fun. And also freshly painted!
IMG_20130530_103055.jpg
Body slide complex with 3 enclosed slides and 2 not enclosed...you really flew threw these! Oh, and also freshly painted!
IMG_20130530_103239.jpg
The tube slide towers consist of two identical 3-slide towers with two enclosed and one open one per side. No doubles were allowed. But again, you really flew through these! And guess what? Also freshly painted!
PANO_20130530_103529.jpg
Rounding out the slide options is a freshly painted (notice a theme here?) family raft slide.
IMG_20130530_103425.jpg
There is also a lazy river with free inner tubes that surrounds the children's play areas.
IMG_20130530_104127.jpg
Besides being the feature for the main entrance, the "little kids" play area has this "mountain" with 5 or 6 of the small slides all around it.
IMG_20130530_104341.jpg
Bigger kids get a play structure to get drenched in!
IMG_20130530_104321.jpg
There's even a wading pool in the back with a "transfer chair" for disabled guests. Nice touch!
IMG_20130530_102621.jpg
Rounding out the attractions is the wave pool, which has smaller waves so the whole family can enjoy!
Last edited by Jew on Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 am.

Postby Jew » Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I broke this post up into two parts, so I could feature the things that Sea World did to "plus" the park to meet their standards. Also included the fact sheet from the park.

Admission:

Single-Day ticket is $38 for guests age 10+; $30 for guests ages 3 through 9;
Admission is free for guests 2 years old and younger. All slides, rides, pools and beach areas are included with admission Food, merchandise, cabanas and fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are optional and available at an additional cost. Park capacity is limited. The Aquatica 2013 Season Splash Pass, which offers unlimited admission for the entire year, is $69 for guests age 10+ and $61 for children 3 through 9. Pass Memberships for both SeaWorld California and Aquatica are available starting at $190.

Parking:

$15 for cars, $20 for RVs and campers, $10 for motorcycles

Hours & Location:

Open 10 a.m. daily June 1 to Sept. 2; weekends, Sept. 7 to Oct. 20. Located at 2052 Entertainment Circle in Chula Vista, CA 91911. Closing times vary; check website.

fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo:

All-day rentals are available and conveniently located at the park entrance and directly in front of Kiwi Curl. Small and large fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo prices are $10, $15, or $20 per day. Guests will receive a $5 voucher, good at any culinary or merchandise location upon returning the key on day of rental.

Cabana Rentals:
• Premium Cabanas (starting from $149): Private poolside cabana with private beach overlooking Big Surf Shores includes a welcome basket, mini-fridge and bottled water. Price includes four guests: up to two additional guests may be added for an additional fee and must be purchased at the park upon check in. Maximum of six guests.
• Standard Cabanas (starting from $119): Located along Loggerhead Lane; includes a welcome basket, mini-fridge and bottled water. Maximum of four guests.

Guest Amenities:

• Gift shops and merchandise carts with waterpark necessities
• Complimentary life vests in all sizes available for guests
• Comfortable lounge chairs (some with umbrellas)
• Shaded seating throughout the park
• Discovery Dollars: Waterproof wristbands allow for convenient purchases without worrying about misplacing cash or credit cards
• Rafts are provided depending on the ride
IMG_20130530_114909.jpg
There's now a flamingo exhibit at the entrance. I'm not entirely sure what was going on here, but those flamingos definitely looked mad at each other!
IMG_20130530_102810.jpg
...And turtles. TPR loves turtles because they are awesome!
IMG_20130530_102254.jpg
...And trainers walking around with random animals. It is a Sea World park after all!
IMG_20130530_102241.jpg
...And transforming all sides of the wave pool from random unused grass space and concrete to "beaches" with TONS of chairs.
IMG_20130530_103843.jpg
...And improving the food options to include the biggest variety I've ever seen at a water park.
IMG_20130530_103830.jpg
...See, variety!
IMG_20130530_103825.jpg
It wouldn't be a water park without fried food
IMG_20130530_115056.jpg
It also wouldn't be a Sea World park with out the all you can eat BBQ option. Yum!
IMG_20130530_105125.jpg
To demonstrate just how much potential space is available, this is now what appears to be a former picnic area/current employee break area/buffer to houses...I'm sure some of that giant chunk is their's to use!
IMG_20130530_105223.jpg
There's also a big open space on the hill that houses the slide complexes...can't wait to see what is in store!
Last edited by Jew on Thu May 30, 2013 11:19 pm.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 31, 2013 5:03 am

I'm impressed with what they've done, and that wading pool in the back with a "transfer chair" for disabled guests really is a great touch!

Nice work on the report, Joey.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Fri May 31, 2013 5:35 am

What an awesome photo report!
Imagine what a little paint and trees can do, this place looks amazing.

The Tornado slide looks like the tallest one I've seen without a lift-hill, I'm getting exhausted just by looking at it!
If I were Sea World I would add a belt for it, the experience just gets so much better when you can ride it over and over again without having to worry about the rafts.
No. 1 Water Park guy!
The Megalite is *the* roller coaster of the world! (after finally riding Expedition Geforce I'll admit it was pretty awesome as well!)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 31, 2013 6:25 am

But are the flamingoes "freshly painted"?

Looks like the old water park is in good hands.

Postby Jew » Fri May 31, 2013 12:53 pm

^^IIRC, this was part of the first wave of Torandos ordered by the big parks. I don't think any of the ones Cedar Fair or Six Flags purchased in that time period had the lifts.

Also, here's an ariel photo of the park for comparison of how it used to look:
SoakCityChulaVista.jpg
Here's how it looked under Cedar Fair

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Fri May 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the review Joey. I've also never been to this park but can we get Busch to take over the Soak City at Knott's too?

Looks great and will be awaiting to see where the park goes the next few years. Certainly has a lot of potential.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Looking really good. What I liked about this park when I visited a long time ago, the year the tornado slide opened, was that it had quite a selection of regular slides. Five body slides, four speed slides, and six inner tube slides. I've been to water parks in the past that had a ton of the pro slide rides like toilet bowls, tornados, and rafts but only a few old fashioned slides.

The fun of the regular old slide complexes is that they are people eating machines so if you just want to spend the day going on the slides you can, without spending a ton of time in line getting a sunburn.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby du88leaa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am

Sweet preview Joey! I had the privilege of covering the grand opening of Aquatica San Diego for this web-show I do called Well That's Cool this past saturday. It's mostly just me being silly, but there is an interview with David Cromwell about half way through. The park has improved astoundingly with its new ownership. It's amazing what some paint, some trees, and some flamingos can do :b

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!