Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beer Man

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby mcjaco » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 am

Anyone that's visited SFGAm and has hung out with me know that there are two places I'm going to make you go to after a day at the park:

Mickey Finn's - Your typical brewpub menu, with some additional items. The Irish Egg Rolls are awesome, as are the pizzas, and the burgers. Best of all, it's a micro brewery run by my dear friend Greg Browne. Awesome brews all year round, which change month to month. He still makes the best Hefeweizen I've ever had. It's straight south down Milwaukee Avenue.

Firkin - This is my higher end choice, as the food is a wee bit more expensive. Top notch food, and the beer list that rivals The Map Room in downtown Chicago. Constantly changing beer menu, so you'll never know what may be on tap....unless you like them on FB or Twitter. ;)

Same deal as Mickey Finn's, straight south on Milwaukee Avenue.

Again, these are for after going to the park, not a lunch stop. It's a good fifteen minutes away, if traffic is good.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Aaronupsidasium » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 am

I'm gonna use this forum to eulogize the great Jungle Jim's that used to be at the Crossroads (at the West entrance to Disney World). We would go there every Orlando trip for their amazing burgers. The jungle themeing was well done and loved it as a kid. Sadly closed down before I turned 21.

There's still some good chains (Perkins, Steak & Shake, Miller's Ale House) around the Crossroads if you want some food outside the parks and resorts.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Awesome idea for a thread!

SFMM: Goji House! Introduced to this amazing Korean BBQ place through TPR! Incredible meat, and great prices!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby raptor6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 pm

pianojohn wrote:http://www.toftdairy.com/
Of course, you can also get Tofts at the park, but if you go to the actual dairy in which it is made, the prices are better, the ice cream is fresher, and the portions are HUMONGOUS! Plus, they tend to carry all of their flavors at the same time, and they also do huge shakes and sundaes. I always stop there after a day at the Point, but check to make sure they are open late since they close exactly at closing time!!

I completely agree with Toft's Ice Cream Parlor! Over 50 flavors too!

Two other restaurants that I love by Cedar Point are Thirsty Pony and Sortino's Little Italy

Thirsty Pony http://rainwaterpark.com/thirstypony/
Such a great sports bar feel to this place and really easy to find. Some highlights are very tasty wings and burgers, oh and a huge beer selection too! You can also gamble with Keno and on televised horse racing!

Address:
1935 Cleveland Rd W
Sandusky, OH 44870

My favorite is the Thirsty Bam Burger which is a 1/2 pound of fresh beef with fantastic flavor!
From the website menu: "Our Signature burger ground with a touch or horseradish and fresh garlic, seasoned with salt, pepper & steak sauce, topped with Swiss & Mozzarella cheeses on Ciabatta bread"

Sortino's Little Italy Ristorante http://sortinosristorante.com/
This is quite possibly the best restaurant in Sandusky. The food is fantastic and big portions as well! They can handle large groups with ease. A little fun fact for the gals and gays: In the Woman's restroom in the basement, there is a picture of a lifesize naked Italian man with wooden door covering his privates. If you lift the door, an alarm goes off in the dining room upstairs and the customers all laugh when you walk back upstairs!

Address:
1220 Sycamore Line (at the corner of Sycamore Line & Sortino Blvd.)
Sandusky, OH 44870

**Note that it's only open for dinner, is closed on Sunday and Monday, and the entrance can be a real pain to find**

Pasta Mafia is my favorite dish.
From the website menu:“A dish you can't refuse!” Olive oil with garlic and scallions, broccoli, fresh peppers bite size pieces of medallions of steak, tossed with Parmesan cheese cream, and a dash of hot sauce, marinated in Italian herbs and served over fettuccini noodles, topped with basil.
My full roller coaster list is found here: http://www.coastercounter.com/nextyear

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:18 pm

narkitty wrote:Here are some of my favorite places near SFFT.

Magnolia Pancake Haus(Breakfast) 10333 Huebner Road San Antonio, Texas 78240
Chacho's(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) 7870 Callaghan Road at I-10, San Antonio Texas 78229
Chester's Hamburgers(Lunch/Dinner) 9980 W Interstate 10 San Antonio, TX

I totally agree with all three plus Chuy's that was mentioned as well. And glad they have opened a few more locations around San Antonio.

OK this one is a regional chain but it's really good.
Just outside of Seaworld San Antonio is Rudy's BBQ
http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/location/name/bbq-san%20antonio

I agree as well....and there is also one about 5 miles West on the 10 just down from SFFT in Leon Springs as well. Great Texas BBQ!

And I'm also going to add one of my other San Antonio favorites which is Alamo Cafe. Mexican food is great and they have the best freshly made flour tortillas. The margaritas are pretty good too!
10060 Interstate Highway 10
San Antonio, TX
(210) 691-8827
Alamocafe.com

And also a great Pizza place just about 4 miles West of SFFT on I-10 in Leon Springs (Rudy's BBQ is just down 1/4 mile further down the same exit). While it is outdoor seating, it's a great atmosphere and live music on weekends.
Fralo's Art of Pizza
23651 IH 10 West
San Antonio, Texas 78257
Fralo's Art of Pizza
Last edited by ArizonaGuy on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:26 am.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:12 am

cfc wrote:^^I've heard good things about Cookout from friends of mine who live in North Carolina. I noticed one opened on Jefferson Avenue in Newport New, Va., near the airport. I have yet to try them.

Being as Cookout is a "regional chain," it's acceptable for this thread.

You're missing out if you haven't been. Another great place is called The Volstead. It is regional as well, and they have burgers better than any you have tasted before. They cook the meat in Coors; it wouldn't even fit on a scale between one and perfect. There is a few in Charlotte as well.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 am

^The timing has never quite worked out for me with Cookout. One of these days, I'll give Cookout a shot.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby frozenflames » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 pm

For Orlando-area parks, I would suggest Boston Lobster Feast (www.bostonlobsterfeast.com) for dinner. There are two locations, both of which are within minutes of the parks. One is on Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee, and the other is smack-dab on International Drive, fairly close to Sea World. I'm not an Orlando local, so I don't get there much, but I've been there 4 times in the past 9 years (2004, 2005, 2008, 2011), and the food has always been consistently good. It's an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, and the food is constantly refilled. It's very fresh, and there's a large selection available.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've added an index (by park) to the first post.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 pm

^^
Awesome compilation of places so far and I'd say by far the best new informative thread to pop up on the forum in a while.

Great idea CFC!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!