Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Great idea for a thread, Chuck!

Anyone visiting Waldameer in Erie, PA might want to check out 'The Brewerie at Union Station' for lunch or dinner in downtown Erie. While it is a few miles from Waldameer, they do have a very diverse menu with some great beers on draft. I had the bacon peanut grilled chicken sandwich and it was very good!

Brewerie

I have also heard that 'Sara and Sally's' is excellent for a reasonably priced lunch or dinner and it is only a stone's throw away from Waldameer as you enter Presque Isle State Park. This would be a better option for those with kids:

Sarasandsallys

Not sure about breakfast, but there are Cracker Barrel's, Bob Evans and Eat & Park restaurants nearby. Even though they are chains, they still offer a good breakfast at reasonable prices.

And if you're looking for a close place to grab some cold draft beers (Waldameer doesn't sell beer) after marathoning RFII, The Sandbar has 30 beers on draft including two of my favorite local brews: Southern Tier 2X IPA and Phin & Matt's!

Wall of beer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Love this thread idea.

Here's a good place for lunch or dinner if you're at Six Flags Magic Mountain:

http://www.rattlersbbq.com/

Fantastic BBQ Restaurant. They have great tri-tip, ribs, and they give you a ton of food for a reasonable price.
DownloadedFile-8.jpeg
DownloadedFile-9.jpeg
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Hmm--I sense a trend here, and that trend is BBQ. And that's a good thing. ;)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I go to Atlanta for six flags every few years. Normally I eat the standard fast food for breakfast. But for lunch (or dinner depending on the time) always stop at "The Varsity" to eat during my trip to Atlanta. They have seven locations in GA but I normally stop downtown.. One of the best burger and fry joints you will ever eat!

http://www.thevarsity.com

Out of the other parks i frequent here are some suggestions

Dollywood: Someone already mentioned the pancake places. You can't go wrong with any of them in pigeon forge or Gatlinburg. If you have kids, Gattis Pizza is great! They have a huge one on the parkway close to Tanger outlets. I know this is a chain, but its a smaller chain. Gattis is all you can eat and you can request almost any pizza you want. Smoky Mountain Brewery was also mentioned already but their sister restaurant Calhouns is also amazing if you want Ribs or BBQ. Also, if you are in Gatlingburg don't forget to stop at the Mayfields Dairy Bar! I know some of us locals take it for granted but it really is some of the best ice cream. The last one I would suggest is the The Peddlerin Gatlinburg. I have dined there several times.

Kings Island: When I go to Kings Island I only eat fast food so if anyone knows anything good and local there I may try them.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Awesome idea for a thread. I will also recommend Pierce's Pitt near BGW. Some of the best BBQ I've ever had.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've got the ASS Burgers

Postby BigBomer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 pm

narkitty wrote:Here are some of my favorite places near SFFT.

Magnolia Pancake Haus(Breakfast) 10333 Huebner Road San Antonio, Texas 78240

Magnolia is my absolute favorite place to get breakfast in San Antonio. If it's a weekend, I wouldn't even try to eat there unless you are prepared to wait an hour+. Weekday mornings between 8-11 are a good time to go, but still expect the wait to be 15-30 minutes. The food is all super fresh and they use really high quality ingredients. Everything I've had here is to die for! It's about a 10 minute drive from SFFT. Take I-10 to the Huebner Road exit and take a right at the light. Go down about a mile and it will be on your right.

Chacho's(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) 7870 Callaghan Road at I-10, San Antonio Texas 78229

Chacho's is a great no-frills place for fast, cheap and tasty Tex-Mex. They're open 24 hours and they have a 2 lane drive-thru. For breakfast, they have great breakfast tacos. I recommend the Taco Loco (eggs, chorizo, cheese and refried beans). You can get a plate of nachos here that will feed 6-8 people easily, for under $20. If you're on a budget and feel like gorging yourself, it's definitely a good place for you, lol. It's about a 15 minute drive from SFFT. Take I-10 to the Callaghan Road exit and take a right on Callaghan. Chacho's is on the left.

Chester's Hamburgers(Lunch/Dinner) 9980 W Interstate 10 San Antonio, TX

Plain and simple: Chester's has great burgers and a pretty large selection of beer. The chili cheeseburger is delicious (and messy), and their milkshakes are good, too. About 10 minutes from SFFT. Just take I-10 to the Frontage Road exit (#560 I think) and stay on the service road. Chester's is down about a mile and on the right.

I completely agree with both Magnolia and Chester's. Though I've steered clear of Chacho's, not because of the food but because of the people. I think I read somewhere that there have been multiple shootings there or something like that. :-?

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I'll add some for the So Cal parks:

-SFMM for Breakfast/Lunch: Jimmy Dean's on the old road. Instead of going up the hill to SFMM, turn right on The Old Road for about a mile or so and you'll see it by the Del Taco/Gas Station/Jack in the Box. Ridiculously good breakfast burritos and decent burgers.

-USH for lunch/dinner: City Wok. Instead of going up the hill to USH, continue down cahuenga blvd. It' in the shopping center with the Ralphs. Really good Chinese food!

-Disneyland whenever:Oggi's. Good craft beer and decent food! Head down Harbor and turn right at Chapman.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Angle O. Descent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Cedar Point - The Thirsty Pony... They serve burger/sandwich meals with a FRIED pickle, and the sweet potato fries come with cinnamon mayo *Homer Simpson drool*... And the wing sauce is home made, a must visit for your next CP visit!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby jps294 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

narkitty wrote:Here are some of my favorite places near SFFT.

Magnolia Pancake Haus(Breakfast) 10333 Huebner Road San Antonio, Texas 78240

Magnolia is my absolute favorite place to get breakfast in San Antonio. If it's a weekend, I wouldn't even try to eat there unless you are prepared to wait an hour+. Weekday mornings between 8-11 are a good time to go, but still expect the wait to be 15-30 minutes. The food is all super fresh and they use really high quality ingredients. Everything I've had here is to die for! It's about a 10 minute drive from SFFT. Take I-10 to the Huebner Road exit and take a right at the light. Go down about a mile and it will be on your right.

Chacho's(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) 7870 Callaghan Road at I-10, San Antonio Texas 78229

Chacho's is a great no-frills place for fast, cheap and tasty Tex-Mex. They're open 24 hours and they have a 2 lane drive-thru. For breakfast, they have great breakfast tacos. I recommend the Taco Loco (eggs, chorizo, cheese and refried beans). You can get a plate of nachos here that will feed 6-8 people easily, for under $20. If you're on a budget and feel like gorging yourself, it's definitely a good place for you, lol. It's about a 15 minute drive from SFFT. Take I-10 to the Callaghan Road exit and take a right on Callaghan. Chacho's is on the left.

Chester's Hamburgers(Lunch/Dinner) 9980 W Interstate 10 San Antonio, TX

Plain and simple: Chester's has great burgers and a pretty large selection of beer. The chili cheeseburger is delicious (and messy), and their milkshakes are good, too. About 10 minutes from SFFT. Just take I-10 to the Frontage Road exit (#560 I think) and stay on the service road. Chester's is down about a mile and on the right.

Sounds great... I'm defiantly going to try them out when I head home from college in May. But usually for dinner after a great day at Fiesta Texas is going to go eat at Chuy's (on 14855 Interstate 35, Selma, TX 78154) which is on my way home in Austin. But just right now I found out there is a closer Chuy's near SFFT (on 18008 US Hwy 281 N., San Antonio, TX), which is going to be beneficial.
Reside in Austin Texas but attend Mississippi State University during the school year! #HAILSTATE
Coaster Count: 53 (45 Steel, 8 Wood)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 am

I don't eat meat or corn syrup, so my eating options are often limited, especially when traveling in unfamiliar places.

www.happycow.net is a great guide for healthy food, both restaurants and food stores.

My favorite apres coaster meal is vegetarian stir fry, but I've learned the hard way not to eat too much before going on coasters. (No "protein spills" but riding on a full stomach is not for me.)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!