TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Snowboarding/Skiing

coastercrazy 9

I absolutely love snowboarding! I've been snowboarding for 23 years now! Man, I'm old. The first day I went, I broke my wrist in about one hour. My instructor was regular and I was goofy foot. For her, toe turns were much easier, so she had me start out trying toe turns on a steep hill of pure ice. Yeah, didn't work very well. After that my dad just taught me and even after just riding for one hour and breaking my wrist I never went skiing again!

I just wish it wasn't so expensive! It's as much or more than a day at Disneyland. I used to get Season Passes, but besides not having any money, the last time I got one we had a terrible season and it wasn't worth it anymore to take a chance that the season would be good. Now I just go on the cheaper days and to cheaper places.

I do want to try a race 'track' one of these days. Not to participate in a race, but just see how fast I could go. I've topped out at 70 mph on my GPS, and it was a snowy day so I'd really like to see how I'd do on a real track in good weather.

Edited by jray21

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Great photo! I would love to see that chairlift porch swing in Telluride...well I'd love to see Telluride in general.

I was out picking around Nashville today when I went in one antique store and was just given a FREE pair of K2 snow skis and poles! They will be a cool addition to my back deck decor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I going to Bear Valley on the 22nd which is in the Sierras north of Yosemite and south of Tahoe. This is a new place for me which is included with the Tahoe Snowbomb Platinum Pass I bought for $50 back in August. It includes one day lift tickets to four places: two in Tahoe and two south of Tahoe. I just can't use it on certain blackout days (after Xmas til Jan 6) and all Saturdays so I'll have to do a trip to Tahoe in February or March and a day trip to China Peak (my home mountain) sometime in January.

That's where I learned to snowboard about 23 years ago! I haven't been there for about 20 years. We finally got a big storm here in Reno, so there's finally enough snow for some good snowboarding!

Cool! The first place I ever bought a lift ticket and did a full day of snowboarding was Squaw Valley USA. This was back and in 2006 so not too far back and of course before I had proper lessons so there was plenty of falling. I was so impressed with the layout of the resort, the network of lifts and gondolas, and the whole experience of the ski resort that it made me want to get professional lessons in both skiing and snowboarding so I could go to more ski resorts. Ski resorts are like winter-time theme/amusement parks for me. I'm glad I'll be getting my Bear Valley credit in a couple of weeks.

So this year my dad and I found what is probably the best deal in the ski industry (at least if you travel): The Mountain Collective Pass. $379 gets you two days each at Alta/Snowbird, Aspen/Snowmass, Jackson Hole, Mammoth Mountain, Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, and Whistler/Blackomb, 50% off on additional tickets, and 25% off lodging. As a result, I'll be doing a lot of skiing this year. We've already got a winter break trip planned to Jackson Hole and Alta/Snowbird (plus a day at Grand Targhee), a Martin Luther King weekend trip to Tahoe, and a spring break trip to Mammoth. We're also considering a Presidents' weekend trip to Aspen, but it depends on my school schedule. It should be an exciting year as the Wyoming and Colorado places will be new and I'll be getting way more skiing in this year then typical (normally I ski 7-10 days per year, but even without Colorado I'll already be at 12 for this season).

After going to Park City the last two years we're taking a year off so KT can be at home for Christmas. After my mom tore her ACL skiing in 2011, and I felt my knees not having as much fun last year, it's ok to take a year off. I've actually been toying with the idea of trying snowboarding our next time out as I've heard it's much easier on the knees.

After going to Park City the last two years we're taking a year off so KT can be at home for Christmas. After my mom tore her ACL skiing in 2011, and I felt my knees not having as much fun last year, it's ok to take a year off. I've actually been toying with the idea of trying snowboarding our next time out as I've heard it's much easier on the knees.

Do it!! More time on your ass but once you get the hang of it you'll be OK

• 2 weeks later...