TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Outdoor Activities (Besides Coaster Riding)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread and things have changed, somewhat. While I can technically still do this indoors, just harder to pull off some moves, I like to do yo-yo outdoors. Not only do I not have to worry about having my string accidentally snap and send a 70-gram chunk of aluminum into my TV, neither do I have to worry about the die on the opposite end of the string smacking into anything other than myself (which it hurts....a lot! Look up 5A yoyoing/Counter Weight yoyoing if you're curious). Plus, it's nice to bring a smile to someone's face that happens to be walking by.

Being as yoyoing is so 'uncommon' people are amazed at stuff like 'walk the dog' and some of the real basic stuff. When I do something more 'advanced' they look at you like you just did the impossible. With this said, every year, a local contest is held at a park in San Francisco that I just started checking out (as a spectator)...makes a nice relaxing day away from the computer and games meeting other people and reliving childhood memories I also like to take the diabolo/chinese yoyo outdoors because then I can launch it 30+ feet up and attempt to catch it.

Also, now having a cheap mountain bike, I like to just ride around town, need to head back up to the lake (reservoir) and ride the trails...so relaxing. I also have a pair of roller blades I should consider using again, I used to skate around all the time. No tricks, just going for a ride, was able to maneuver quite well. Honestly though, I forgot the last time I've even seen anyone roller blade/roller skate...a bit sad if you ask me. Unfortunately, time is a bit limited as much as I need to just tell myself to make the time to just go for a ride as it would be better for me than sitting down drinking soda(s) behind the PS3 controller playing MW3 or Killzone. Pretty much anything on wheels, I like to do.

I also have a pair of roller blades I should consider using again, I used to skate around all the time. No tricks, just going for a ride, was able to maneuver quite well. Honestly though, I forgot the last time I've even seen anyone roller blade/roller skate...a bit sad if you ask me.

ROLLER DERBY ROCKS!!!

I've recently discovered this sport, and I love it. I always liked to go roller blading and it wasn't a far stretch to learn the skates. It's a great way to exercise + get out some pent up aggression. It's more of an indoor sport, but we've held practices out at some outdoor basketball courts before, and I've gone out a few other times elsewhere, but it ruins our gear a lot faster. I really need new knee pads.

Seeing that I live up in the mountains, I love doing all sorts of outdoor activities up here if I have people to do them with. Once it starts snowing more, we have a good sled hill right behind our house. In the summer I love swimming in the rivers and know some great places with jump rocks and rope swings! I don't camp or fish as much as most people up here, but I still like them. I also love exploring in the forest and I've really wanted to go ghost town hunting for old mines and towns but didn't get around to it this summer.

• 2 months later...

At the start of this year, my new favorite outdoor activity/sport consists of unicycling. Knowing nothing about riding the uni when I first purchased on New Years Day (I bought one for $28, may seem like an impulse buy at first) and today, a couple months later I can finally ride and do this:

This is one of the things I will most likely take with me if I happen to go to a park. Very nice and portable, and fun to ride. Eventually I want to get into freestyle/flatland riding with a little bit of 'trials' which involves hopping onto obstacles and small gaps. Until then, I'm just working on improving my form and is an excellent workout.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Once the weather warms up I'll be running a lot. Running is great; when I'm stressed it makes me forget all about it, calms me down, and after a good run through my neighborhood I'm always happy. Plus when I did it 3 times a week last year I lost somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds in about a month and a half.