TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Running!

Coaster Cow

I registered this morning for my first run in CA. I was very lucky to get in as it sold out so fast. Any runners have any tips on where to fly in (is LAX the only option). Where should I stay? Do the resorts have shuttles like in FLA? So many questions!!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where, when, and what race is it? There are a few main airports that most people use. LAX, Ontario ONT, John Wayne in Santa Ana SNA, Bob Hope in Burbank BUR, and Long Beach LGB. LAX usually is the cheapest, but it can easily take an hour to land and get to the rental cars.

Edited by jray21

When I fly down there, I definitely prefer Long Beach. It's a small airport and very easy to get in and out quick. It's also only about a 20 min drive from Disneyland and avoids most of the really bad traffic in and out of LA. John Wayne isn't terrible either and that one is even easier to get to and from DLR as the traffic is typically north of Anaheim and Santa Ana is south of it.

If you can afford to stay at the Disney hotels, do it. They are so easy when it comes to getting to where you need to go (especially on race day). If you are like me, I go for the cheapest I can find. Since I work for Hilton, it's usually at one of their properties. The Anaheim Hilton is very close. The Anaheim Marriott and Fairfield Inn by Marriott are both decent hotels too and within walking distance. If you stay at a Good Neighbor hotel they will have a free shuttle to the starting lines of the races too, though the shuttles aren't free at other times (something like a dollar a day).

I got a hold of Active today and they confirmed my registration went through. So I'm pretty relieved about that. Anyone know when the Wine and Dine at WDW typically goes on sale? I want to run that one this year for my first Coast to Coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Turning out to be a very busy running year for me. So far I'm signed up (or planning to sign up in the case of the Wine and Dine) for the following races:

Coaster Run 10k @ Knott's - March 10

Zoo Zoom 10k @ Sacramento Zoo - April 14

Parkway Half-Marathon @ American River in Sacramento - May 4

Color Me Rad Napa Valley 5k @ Sonoma County Fairgrounds - May 18

Disneyland Half-Marathon @ DLR - September 1

Wine and Dine Half-Marathon @ WDW Nov 9

Possible I'll add a few more later on. What's everyone else looking like this year? Anyone done one of these Color Runs? It's my first one, but they seem like fun.

I may do the Pleasanton, CA 1/2 marathon in May (?). I want to do a non-disney race so I can break a 2 hour time. It's just too crowded at the Disney events, and my wife also runs them so I like to run with her. I'm also looking to do the Men's Health Urbanathlon in San Francisco if they offer it again this year. I'm also looking to do a Spartan type race, but we'll see. I also have guaranteed entry into the New York Marathon this year, but with last years race being canceled I don't know if that will affect it. I'm only officially signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just registered for a trail marathon, in Massachusetts, in September. The 50 mile ultra, last year, had over 9000 feet of climbing. The marathon is a new addition, this year, but should have at least half that amount. Considering my average elevation change, here, is about 17 feet - this should be interesting!

http://hancockshakervillage.org/programs-events/hancock-shaker-village-50/

After a long wait, I finally have guaranteed entry status for the NY Marathon! Only problem is the cost! It's about $250!!! Add in hotels and travel and it's going to cost a ton!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new 1/2 Marathon for Disneyland has been announced!

star-wars-events-media-1200x430-01.thumb.jpg.eac614af51df85dc56f5ca21d63ccdf6.jpgTHE EVENT

May the Force be with you during the all-new Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend at the Disneyland® Resort. It's a weekend journey to a galaxy far, far away featuring various runs, special events, Disney entertainment, your favorite Star Wars and Disney characters to cheer you along the course, and much, much more!

Choose your Destiny! There’s a run for Jedi Knights and Padawans of every age and skill level including the Star Wars Half Marathon, Star Wars 10K and Star Wars 5K, and the runDisney Kid Races. Put yourself to the ultimate test and join the Star Wars Rebel Challenge combining the Star Wars 10K and Half Marathon for an out-of-this-world running adventure. As Jedi Master Yoda says, “Do or do not. There is no try!” So DO be a part of the inaugural 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend, January 15-18, 2015.

www.rundisney.com/star-wars-half-marathon/

Signs up are on June 10, 2014, at 12 EST. I expect this one to sell out extremely quick. I actually think I'll sign up for this one. January is a much better time for me to travel, and I passed on the WDW marathon so this could be my fall back.

Edited by jray21

• 1 year later...