TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cirque Du soleil

edh

I was really surprised by ZED. I thought they would eat it up. I guess not though! I really like Cirque du Soleil and hope this helps strengthen their operations and be more efficient. I'm going to see their movie tomorrow. Seems a little odd to have them make a movie again. It's not getting the best reviews, but we'll see.

I've now seen:

Mystere (2nd row, had my head taped to the guy next to me when we both tried to turn around and see what the clown was doing a row behind us)

Viva Elvis

Zumanity

La Reve (not Cirque, but close enough. Would love to see it again though; we saw it the day we flew in during the later showing so I started dozing off from jet lag)

Ah, Cirque Du Soleil!

I saw Ovo in Santa Monica, and I was quite letdown.

I saw Iris at the Kodak Theater when it first opened, and it blew me away. I then saw it again a year later. After that, saw it two more times within 6 months, including its final showing ever. I absolutely loved that show.

I really want to see O at the Bellagio next. Hopefully this summer!

^Ovo is playing in Melbourne at the moment, and I'd agree it's not up to their usual standard. The acrobatics remain stunning but almost too perfect - there's no suspense in the performance. Maybe Cirque has jumped the shark - so many shows playing in so many locations around the world that they're struggling to keep it fresh.

Alegria was our first tent show, in 2003. This was FINALLY happening, nearly 20 years after their first and only appearance at our world's fair, in 1986! Needless to say, EVERYBODY bought tix and I think they sold out in less than a couple of days, which for it's time very unusual for our city and anything 'cultural', lol!

Anyway, I always remembered the two singers, the main theme song, most of all of it, heh heh. And I too have the cd, the programme, and the video to watch again and again. It's still always been my first fave.

"You always remember your first time..."

Zed now comes second. I was so ready for that show (TPR Japan Tour'11), already owning the cd and knowing it's history, at the time. Finding out it was closing (end of 2011) made me feel so sad, for the company, the musicians AND the theatre, lol! The whole experience there at Zed, I could just imagine like it was/is, in Orlando and La Nouba, having never seen that one.

Alegria was our first tent show, in 2003. This was FINALLY happening, nearly 20 years after their first and only appearance at our world's fair, in 1986! Needless to say, EVERYBODY bought tix and I think they sold out in less than a couple of days, which for it's time very unusual for our city and anything 'cultural', lol!

I have a friend that was a performer in Alegría at that time and if I recall correctly the Vancouver and Calgary runs were two of the fastest selling touring shows in the company's history. The entire five-week Calgary run sold out in a matter of hours which was their fastest selling touring show ever. And I believe that record still stands.

^ Well like I said, the first and only time before Alegria arrived in town, was in 1986 when they (literally)

debuted at EXPO 86 at the end of the fair. And they were one of The Big Hits there. And then..... never came back.

So I guess we were a bit "starved for Cirque" when 2003 came around and Alegria was announced, lol.

^Ovo is playing in Melbourne at the moment, and I'd agree it's not up to their usual standard. The acrobatics remain stunning but almost too perfect - there's no suspense in the performance. Maybe Cirque has jumped the shark - so many shows playing in so many locations around the world that they're struggling to keep it fresh.

I think now they are focusing more on the production side of things: innovating with lighting/video/set automation/sound, which I personally think is cool even if the acrobatic side of things are just more of the same.

• 11 months later...

On Saturday, Michael and I went up to see Cirque Musica at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo...it was wonderful!

Obviously no where near the Cirque shows in Vegas, but the performers did very well to work with what little room they shared with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra - very well done!

I told Michael I don't know how those performers can get into some of the positions that they do to pull off their acts. I would probably collapse after doing 25 jumping jacks let alone be able to touch my toe to my nose or be able to climb a 25 foot fabric rope upside down with my feet!

I really want to see Alegria! I saw it on video and thought it was amazing.

By Far my favorite show Music wise.

the performances are good too, but performance wise, I'd pick "O" as the top show.

top 5 for each:

Music:

5) "Zumanity" (horrid show, but great music)

4) "O"

3) "La Nouba"

2) "Love"

1) "Alegria"

Performance-wise:

5) "La Nouba"

4) "Mystere"

3) "Ka"

2) "Love"

1) "O"

Here is the list of shows I have seen.

Nouvelle Expérience when it was in a tent behind the Mirage here in Las Vegas

Saltimbanco

Mystère

Alegría

Quidam

O

La Nouba

Dralion

Varekai

Zumanity

KA

Corteo

Delirium

The Beatles LOVE

Koozå

Criss Angel Believe

OvO

Viva Elvis

Totem

Zarkana

Iris

Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour

Michael Jackson ONE

I can say I have had the privilege to see almost every single Cirque Show that has ever been created, I wish I can see them all, I love them!

Here is the list of shows I have seen.

Nouvelle Expérience when it was in a tent behind the Mirage here in Las Vegas

Saltimbanco

Mystère

Alegría

Quidam

O

La Nouba

Dralion

Varekai

Zumanity

KA

Corteo

Delirium

The Beatles LOVE

Koozå

Criss Angel Believe

OvO

Viva Elvis

Totem

Zarkana

Iris

Michael Jackson ONE

I can say I have had the privilege to see almost every single Cirque Show that has ever been created, I wish I can see them all, I love them!

So incredibly jealous! That's pretty awesome. So how would you rank them all?

I really want to see Alegria! I saw it on video and thought it was amazing.

Unfortunately, the curtain has permanently fallen on Alegría. Cirque recently retired the production a few weeks ago in Antwerp, Belgium.

Here's a final cast photo

Wow. That's an amazing number of them you have seen, and I am so envious.

But, which shows are/were you missing? It sounds like it's only one or two, but I

cannot remember which ones.

But, which shows are/were you missing? It sounds like it's only one or two, but I

I am missing the following.

Kurios (Upcoming Touring Show)

Cirque du Soleil (Retired will never see)

La Magie Continue (Retired will never see)

Le Cirque Reinvente (Retired will never see)

Zaia (Retired will never see)

Zed (Retired will never see)

So I have only missed 5 Cirque shows, the first three were before my time, and Zaia was in Maccau and Zed was at Tokyo Disney.

Edited by Mr Stratosphere

So incredibly jealous! That's pretty awesome. So how would you rank them all?

Here they are in order.

Iris (retired)

The Beatles LOVE

KA

La Nouba

O

Zarkana

Nouvelle Expérience (retired)

Saltimbanco (retired)

Mystère

Michael Jackson ONE

Delirium

Totem

Viva Elvis (retired)

Koozå

Alegría

OvO

Quidam

Dralion

Varekai

Corteo

Zumanity

Criss Angel Believe

I am missing the following.

Kurios (Upcoming Touring Show)

Cirque du Soleil (Retired will never see)

La Magie Continue (Retired will never see)

Le Cirque Reinvente (Retired will never see)

Zaia (Retired will never see)

Zed (Retired will never see)

So I have only missed 5 Cirque shows, the first three were before my time, and Zaia was in Maccau and Zed was at Tokyo Disney.

Did you ever catch Wintuk and Banana Shpeel? Wintuk played a few winter seasons in NYC but Banana Shpeel was short-lived.