TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the update! Great to see they're planning to have it all done for the start of the season.

Snoopy’s Rocket Express: An aerial monorail that gives families a view high above Planet Snoopy.

This counts as a credit, right?

Only if you count powered coasters . . . no, not even then.

Interesting tour, I wonder how big the Snoopy fountain will be. Do you happen to know what they do with the dinosaurs from Dinosaurs Alive for the winter? I know they all have skins that easily come off but I imagine dismantling the cables/hydraulic things that control the dinos would be a lot of work and they couldn't be left outside all winter. Some of those dinos were enormous and in my head they're all sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Just curious!

I think Kidsville was long overdue for some kind of refurb. As for the old Treasure Cave, it was pretty beat up and not what one would call "amazing." I can understand why some of KD's fans might miss it, but I think I'll miss the AC more than the attraction.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two things I would like to contribute to this thread.

First, I went over to YouTube and watched those old Kings Dominion Commercials. I did remember one in the early eighties that featured the tagline "Betcha you can't do it all". My comment on that tagline: "I bet I could do it all if the stupid lines weren't too line for those rides!" Can any of those commercials be found in Youtube?

Now, as for the new and improved Planet Snoopy, I'm looking forward to all the construction updates and seeing this new area get the facelift it needed all those seasons ago.

The opening 2013 season cannot get here soon enough.

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride

^ I remember the train from when I was a kid so I think it was removed in early to mid 90's. (Unless there was two different trains)

From KDFansite's timeline of Kings Dominion....

1994 – Hurler (Wayne’s World) added – (Old Dominion Line & Sky Pilot Removed)

I assume Paramount removed the train for Hurler.

I think by the time I moved to Virginia in the mid-1980s, the train was gone (although I did do the "safari monorail" ride).

The train was there till about 93 I believe but was SBNO since 91 if my memory is correct. I know it was running in !990 when I was there for school trip.

Okay, okay, I will admit that I miss the train too since it was taken out in the mid 90's (just like I miss the old sky ride that ran back and forth across Candy Apple Grove - when that area was called "Candy Apple Grove"), but if they should ever consider putting the train back in to be used for the visitors to travel from one side of the park to the other, then where can they put the train stations? Methinks I may have a solution in the next paragraph below.

Suppose they did take the Hurler out and put Train Station #1 (south end) in its place, then have one set of tracks that will head to the Intimidator305 by crossing through a pathway of the waterpark section, go under and through the Intimidator305 coaster and head to Train Station #2 (north end) that lies somewhere between Flight of Fear and the Intimidator 305 and having the second set of tracks (heading back to Train Station #1) by taking the long way around the Intimidator305 and the waterpark and heading back to Train Station #1. I believe that's one way they could do it. With two sets of tracks, you can two sets of trains running at the same time.

But if they decided not to take the Hurler out to put Train Station #1, then I'm sure they could put the Train Station in the area that is between Ricochet and the Hurler. Either way, the layout would work just fine.

And I'm also thinking that this attraction will pay off in one of three ways: One, as a mode of transportation to give the visitors a chance to relax as they travel to the other side of the park; two, A quick method to get to the other side of the park to ride Volcano and Intimidator after you've ridden Windseeker and the Rebel Yell; and three, another attraction to those visitors that can't handle the extreme thrill rides. Hold it - another idea just popped into my head: how about during HalloScream they use the train as a haunted train ride attraction? If they did it with Blue Ridge Toll Road, then they could also do it with the Train Attraction.

One last thing (and I'll give away this idea for free so I can't sue them) - They could call it "The King's Express"! What do you all think about that?

Before I leave, I would like to mention that this upcoming season with be my 35th season with Kings Dominion since coming to the park in 1978. I've been to Kings Dominion more times than any other park, and that ain't gonna change anytime soon!

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride

• 2 weeks later...

Some "Bigger, Better Planet Snoopy" news!

http://www.kingsdominion.com/article/media-center/Kings-Dominion-Announces-SweetFrog-to-Open-First-Amusement-Park-Location

KINGS DOMINION ANNOUNCES SWEETFROG TO OPEN FIRST AMUSEMENT PARK LOCATION

DOSWELL, VA (January 21, 2013) – Kings Dominion, the Mid-Atlantic’s premier amusement park where Thrills Connect has announced SweetFrog, the popular Richmond-based self-serve frozen yogurt company will open its first-ever amusement park location at Kings Dominion in the spring of 2013. SweetFrog will be located outside of Woodstock Express, a re-themed roller coaster in the park’s newly expanded Planet Snoopy.

SweetFrog at Kings Dominion will offer families a large selection of delicious frozen yogurt flavors including fat free, sugar free, and gluten free options. Customers will also have dozens of toppings to choose from including fresh fruit, granola, wet walnuts, crushed candy bars, chocolate, caramel, shredded coconut and more.

“We saw an opportunity to have another location in Virginia and were intrigued with the idea,” said SweetFrog Director of Marketing, Victor DiPace. “With Richmond being the home base of SweetFrog, what better place to have a location than at an amusement park in our own back yard? It is a perfect combination of entertainment, family and kids having fun.”

SweetFrog started in Richmond in 2009 when CEO Derek Cha hand-picked Richmond as the city to start his frozen yogurt business. SweetFrog now operates nearly 200 stores nationwide with continued expansion plans for 2013.

Kings Dominion will open for its 39th season on March 29th, when togetherness will take on a whole new meaning with the multi-million dollar expansion of Planet Snoopy. Based on one of the most beloved comic strip characters ever, Snoopy and the PEANUTS™ gang, Planet Snoopy will span nearly 14-acres and boast 8 new rides designed for families to experience together.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with such a local iconic brand that our guests can relate with and will be a great addition to our new Planet Snoopy children’s area,” said Kings Dominion Director of Marketing John Taylor. “Planet Snoopy is sure to deliver new and exciting experiences for the entire family with the addition of eight new rides and many enhanced guest amenities.”

Kings Dominion is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Dominion, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, four water parks, one indoor water park, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in California under a management contract.

sf-logo-frogs.png.4ae324b549f05f3ca45cb1b8db74875e.png

The GoogleEarth satellite has been updated for Kings Dominion. The imagery was taken on October 21st, 2012 (which means Halloween Haunt props are out). Since the last update Intimidator 305 has received a new first turn and grass around the ride, Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular has been added, Shockwave has received a new color scheme, tons of brick pavers has replaced pavement around the park, Windseeker has been installed, Dinosaurs Alive has been added, and much more!

Here are a few highlights of the update...

Park.thumb.jpg.7429ebb84c20e9dd2e1d5d9818d412c9.jpg

Overview of the park.

Intimidator305.thumb.jpg.4315f2d309083fbc04c8dfa3872466d8.jpg

Intimidator 305, now with a new turn and grass!

Boneyard.thumb.jpg.d73c88cc2f120e51c747b002ab1f2b3d.jpg

The park's boneyard located behind Hurler, including Intimidator 305's old first turn track/supports.

Shockwave.thumb.jpg.0a7c4d3dc4dbae41e0fcd7b81a78d286.jpg

Shockwave with its new lime green and teal color scheme.

Windseeker.thumb.jpg.efcef3c5de3d2373b32edd65a8b5be4f.jpg

Windseeker replaced El Dorado and brick pavers/planters were added to the area where XLC previously was located.

741130068_DinosaursAlive.thumb.jpg.110ea56d3c00673280b6f4af250e39a9.jpg

Dinosaurs Alive takes up tons of land in the back corner of Old Virginia nestled in between Grizzly and White Water Canyon.

CornStalkers.thumb.jpg.e5852d61a629741ae2367594e9670dae.jpg

CornStalkers, located on International Street across the fountains from Berserker, is out for Halloween Haunt.