TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cirque Du soleil

edh

When you live in Vegas, Cirque is just down the road, but you hardly ever get a chance to see it.

Ive see La Nouba, Ka at MGM Grand, Mystere at TI, Zumanity at New York New York, and Delirium.

My favorite so far has been Ka. Just by the technical aspect of how the stage moves and the sheer size of the show!

It's always good to make friends in Vegas, who knows, they may be a performer in a Cirque show!

I've seen: Saltimbanco, Mystere, Alegria, Quidam, Dralion, "O", La Nouba, Varekai, Zumanity, Ka, Corteo, Delirium, LOVE, BeLIEve, Kooza, and Viva ELVIS.

I'm gonna catch Totem this spring and IRIS at the Kodak this summer. And I might catch Ovo sometime this year.

I've seen Varekai and Alegria live, plus I own those two on dvd, as well as Quidam, La Nouba, and Kooza. I've seen televised performances of Nouvelle Experience, Cirque Reinvente, Saltimbanco, Dralion, and Corteo.

I also have the soundtracks to Ka and Delerium, as well as the dvd sets of the two Cirque television shows that aired several years ago on Bravo, Fire Within, which was a behind-the-scenes documentary of the making of Varekai, and a variety series called Solstrom.

I would love to go to Vegas, just to see the Cirque shows there. I'm particularly interested in seeing O, as it looks like such a unique show.

^ Speaking of Bravo I miss seeing the Cirque shows on TV. They made me want to go see them even more! After many years of seeing the Cirque tent at Atlantic Station I final got to see a show this winter, OVO. Sat in the category 3 seating and was very surprised of the great view. Overall the show wasn't the best for me. It felt kinda lacking for a cirque show and didn't seem to be paced well. Also I wanted more humor from the show as it felt dry without them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen three shows in person, Quidam, Corteo, and Kooza.

While all three were amazing, I loved Corteo the most by far. It just had a solid organic melding of story, music, and acts. Several of the acts were just so unique and thrilling, plus the humor was really funny. I thought the moment when the little woman was allowed to float over the audience hanging from a free floating balloon, and people had to become a part of the show by catching her and pushing her around was so cool. Plus she was adorable.

Quidam was certainly the my second favorite. Strong concept and exciting acts, with a more of a formal "classical" style of comedy.

Kooza was good but felt a little thinner overall in concept and the kinds of acts that were in it. The Wheel of Death, though, was pretty intense.

I am really interested in seeing Totem, as there seems to be some Native American influence on the concept, at least from the title and some of the artwork I've seen.

Whatever show you see is well worth the money. The absolutely amazing level of talent and skill, combined with the full performance just draws you right in. You will laugh, gasp, and be moved. Plus, to be honest, the performers have to be in pretty darn good shape to do what they do. Make of that, what you will. I've seen the same shows on tv or dvd and while very enjoyable, in person, up close, the experience goes to another level.

Except from what I've heard, the Criss Angel/Cirque Du Soleil "Believe" show in Vegas. I've seen very very very few positive reviews, most are pretty angry and upset about that one.

I've seen La Nouba, O, Mystere, Kooza and Wintuk. I really liked them all except for Wintuk, which I thought was terrible, but I think last year was the final season of it. I want to try and see La Nouba again one of these days, since it's been several years since I've seen it.

• 1 year later...

Woo hoo!

I got an email from the current Cirque show in town ~AmaLuna~ with a killer 1/2 price sale on remaining tix in it's last week (next week) here.

So... we're going next Wednesday/16th, with really good seats to see it!

Yay us! I haven't missed one Cirque show since they started touring to Vancouver,

and only the tent shows, not the ones onstage. I was really afraid we might not

get to see this one . But now we're going!

(EDIT to add: Actually, I must admit, I did see a Cirque show in a theatre - the one specially built for the now closed Tokyo Disney / Cirque show ZED! It was amazing and again, it was only open for two years! Am so glad I got to see that. And I got the CD too, lol!)

amaluna-blue-small.jpg.89e7a87f87de583f81804d18e06ba350.jpg

One of the ads for the show here. Only for another week or so.

Huge Cirque Fan here, and I've seen several shows multiple times.

it's hard to pick a favorite, so I'll cheat and pick 1 Touring, and 1 permanent

Touring: Alegria (love, love, love the music in this show, and the CD actually gets pretty regular play).

Permanent: O (not as technical as Ka, but just as impressive live. Just BARELY inched out LOVE for this spot)

in terms of what I/we've seen:

Disney: La Nouba

Vegas: Mystere' (twice), O (twice), Ka, LOVE, BeLIEve, & Zoomanity (which we HATED. . good lord we were bored, maybe "shocking" for lil old ladies from Idaho, but was a pretty standard Vegas show to us, and not enough Cirque)

Touring: Saltimbanco (just saw the final show in the states before they went back to Canada to retire it), Alegria (3 times), Quidam (twice), Dralion, Varekai, & Delirium

Cirque du Soleil - (1/18/13) As successful as Cirque du Soleil has been in the past, especially in the Las Vegas market, have they finally reached the saturation point? Have they simply opened too many shows, or is it a mix of too many shows with a struggling global economy? Either way the company has announced that they will layoff 400 workers from their global operations due to sagging profits.

Over the 13 months, we’ve seen Cirque forced to close ZED at the Tokyo Disney Resort at the end of 2011, and Viva Elvis close in Las Vegas in August 2012. This Saturday will also mark the closing of their Iris show in Hollywood. With seven active shows in Las Vegas, one of which just opened (Zarkana at Aria), and the new Michael Jackson themed show opening in about 12 months, will we see Cirque forced to close yet another show or two over the next year? - Screamscape

Found this just posted. Also found out most of the layoffs will be in Montreal at the home office.

But still, sad to find out. And again - I am So Glad I got to see ZED, before it shuttered.

We went to see Love when we were in Vegas last year & it was definitely the best staged show performance that I have ever seen. I can't even really put into words at how awesome it was...of course it helps when you are a huge fan of the Beatles too!

Would love to be able to get to more of their shows in Vegas, but it looks like it's not on our list of places to go this year.

I certainly hope that they incorporate more of these cirque-type of shows into theme parks.I really enjoyed the one at Canada's Wonderland during the Levi bash and being able to do a Q&A sessions with them afterwards was an awesome bonus! I will be most interested to hear the reviews about the one coming to SFDK.

I have seen a lot of Cirque shows, but my favorite by far is LOVE. Whenever I go to Vegas I see two shows, LOVE and whatever other show has good seats left for when I'm there. I've seen KA, Zumanity, LOVE, Viva Elvis and Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour when is was at the Staples Center. I wanted to see Iris, but sadly I couldn't find anyone to go with me. I'll admit, I've seen LOVE 10 times, it's the perfect blend of two of my favorite things The Beatles and Cirque.

Cirque du Soleil - (1/18/13) As successful as Cirque du Soleil has been in the past, especially in the Las Vegas market, have they finally reached the saturation point? Have they simply opened too many shows, or is it a mix of too many shows with a struggling global economy? Either way the company has announced that they will layoff 400 workers from their global operations due to sagging profits.

Over the 13 months, we’ve seen Cirque forced to close ZED at the Tokyo Disney Resort at the end of 2011, and Viva Elvis close in Las Vegas in August 2012. This Saturday will also mark the closing of their Iris show in Hollywood. With seven active shows in Las Vegas, one of which just opened (Zarkana at Aria), and the new Michael Jackson themed show opening in about 12 months, will we see Cirque forced to close yet another show or two over the next year? - Screamscape

Found this just posted. Also found out most of the layoffs will be in Montreal at the home office.

But still, sad to find out. And again - I am So Glad I got to see ZED, before it shuttered.

That's the typical "ebb and flow" pattern of any growing company. They grew at a rapid pace, so I'm sure they had a lot of "fluff" on their payroll as they expected to keep growing at a rapid pace. Of course, rarely does that ever happen in the business world---so now they have to cut the "extra fat" in the company to get back to what their actual operational needs are. Can't be perfect forever.

Iris failed because of the price and location---Los Angeles is never a good place for a residency of any show. Not enough locals are interested in paying the high price for a ticket and having to deal with traffic/parking associated with Hollywood. They ended up having to run a groupon deal the last few months. If Iris was only a limited run, I'm sure it would have sold out. The Immortal World Tour at Staples Center sold out (or came very close to it) for every show.

ZED I'm sure was the same thing---just misread the market. I'm sure executives and Cirque and OLC saw the success of La Nouba and said "we want a cooler one" without really thinking things through.