Poll: What is your major?

Kennyweird

What is your major?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. What is your major?

• Agriculture
    • Architecture
    • Ethnic/Cultural/Gender Studies
    • Arts (performance, theater, visual, etc.)
    • Biologic/biomedical sciences
    • Business
    • Communications/ Journalism
    • Computer/ Information sciences
    • Education
    • Engineering
    • English
    • Family and Consumer sciences
    • Health/Safety/Clinical Sciences
    • History
    • Language
    • Law/Criminal Justice
    • Liberal arts and sciences/ humanities
    • Math/Statistics
    • Natural Resources/ Conservation
    • Recreation/Fitness
    • Culinary
    • Philosophy/ Religion
    • Physical Sciences
    • Psychology
    • Social Sciences
    • I didn't attend college.
    • I haven't graduated from high school yet.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I majored in English...I'm starting to realize that toilet paper has more of a use than my degree does...

That's not good! Do you have any suggestions on how to make the most of an English major?

I'm an English major right now but I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm interested in Creative Writing and I think I'd like to work in the publishing world somewhere but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I figured that I'd probably look into getting some kind of internship with a literary agent and kiss ass as long as necessary to land a decent job.

• 1 month later...

I'm a freshman in Mechanical Engineering at SUNY University at Buffalo, almost guaranteeing a Master's degree (don't know where), probably working part time and college part time for the Master's. I've been playing with the idea of a PhD, I'm not too sure that I'll go through with it, though. Although many types of engineering do interest me, my end goal is landing a job in the amusement ride industry (duh.) And a good thing is that I made friends with one of the staff who is also a mechanical engineer and an enthusiast, so he'll guide me to take the right technical electives (most would be civil engineering based) and he said I'd be able to do some undergraduate research with him when I have the time.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's now official - I'm now 100% visual arts.

I was previously in the College of Engineering, in mechanical engineering. When I did my Disney College Program, I got to see the kinds of things that engineers do every day. Left a bad taste in my mouth, but I didn't want to completely give it up.

So, I switched to 3D modeling and animation, with the intent to declare an engineering mechanics minor.

Today, as the engineering mechanics classes get less and less interesting and my grade falls further and further, I have dropped the course and the minor.

Cool story, huh?

It's very hard to explain, but I left each lecture/panel/tour thinking to myself, "Is this really what I want to do?".

Then, last semester, I began to dislike the courses that I was taking. All of it was just deriving formulas and doing calculations that would take a good while each.

I'm not the kind of person who can just sit around all day and do mathematics problems, or repair intricate machinery - it just took me until now to realize it. I've always been more of a creative person than a technical person. I have always casted my creative abilities aside as a hobby.

I want to create things, not maintain them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figur out HOW to get into the area of the theme park industry I'm looking at...

I'm extremely creative and a relatively talented self taught artist who loves attraction concept design. I'd really love to get a job in the industry doing themed entertainment and attraction design...

I figure I'd need some kind of background in things like Lighting, Set Design, Art and Arcitecture...But anyone have any insight on where to go from here?

I'm a very creative person and I feel this would be the best possible field for me to go into...but I can't think of any way to approach it...is anyone capable on giving me some insight?

Right now for the moment I'm working for an associate's in Web Design through Art Institute Online. It's a fun process and I've really grown to like the instructors and what they expect of people. This is where I was meant to be when I graduated from high school instead of a local community college which I was stupid with and went to. I'm currently getting a B in afew of my classes at present and hopefully by 2013 I'll have something in my hands to prove my work well.

Then, from there? Who knows maybe I'll be off to another state to finish up for a bachelor's and work my way from there.

• 8 months later...
Thank you for that, I am less creative and more interested in the mathematics, mechanics & physics side of things. That further confirms that Mechanical Engineering is right for me.

Ditto!

Except I do think I am creative just not in the same sense as an artist! I love solving problems!

(Not going to vote yet, because I'll vote once I get it)

I want to do something with either Sociology, Psychology, History, or Counseling. I've always wanted to be a teacher sense I was young, however in the last few years I have wanted to become a counseling for teenagers.

It's very hard to explain, but I left each lecture/panel/tour thinking to myself, "Is this really what I want to do?".

Then, last semester, I began to dislike the courses that I was taking. All of it was just deriving formulas and doing calculations that would take a good while each.

I'm not the kind of person who can just sit around all day and do mathematics problems, or repair intricate machinery - it just took me until now to realize it. I've always been more of a creative person than a technical person. I have always casted my creative abilities aside as a hobby.

I want to create things, not maintain them.

That was something that I discovered in my engineering curriculum, half of it I loved, half of it I absolutely despised. I too was more creative than technical but unfortunately I found that there wasn't a lot of room for creativity in my (and probably most) undergraduate programs, some sure but not that kind that I was expecting.

Also, to address your last statement, I've discovered that there are a LOT more opportunities in this world that involve "maintaining" things that there are "creating" things. Wish someone I had been told me that a long time ago because I think with the right mindset certain maintenance and operations position could be a lot of fun.