TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I agree with Robb, go where the Public is! RhinoBlaster is a much needed attraction/slide complex, to help with the massive crowds Splashin' Safari can get in a day. A BIG part of the reason I go to Holiday World, is Splashin' Safari for the Wet N' Wild side of things. I love the Holiday World side don't get me wrong, but I also love the thrills Water Rides can give me. My Heart belongs to Coasters, but I still LOVE a great Water Attraction that Soaks me! It's good their adding something for the smaller ones also.

It's all good anyways because it will help with the Massive Crowds, my Little Get-a-way in the country receives.

This announcement just means one thing. I really need to go check out this water park and while I am at it I guess check out the theme park too. Yep, Holiday World is still one of those parks I really want to go to but have not made it yet. I really like it, when a park spends money to add fans and shade as well.

It is a good water park. The heat can be so terrible though. When we went with TPR a few years back, and we decided to go on the enclosed slide. It was like being in a sauna, and the water was really hot! We were hotter after we got off the ride than we were before it! I think the new structure is a really smart move for them. Like Shane said, you've got to build what the people want. After working at a water park for over 7 years, I've seen that many times. When we got our Half Pipe, everyone was all excited but it ended up having one of the shortest lines in the park. People just wanted the family friendly tube slides. Of course we were under Six Flags at the time so what did they do, they gave us a tornado!

It's been 6 years since I've been to HW so things may have changed (and sorry if this was already answered, I didn't see it), but isn't Splashin' Safari free admission once you are in Holiday World? What is the concern about Pilgrim's Plunge if it moves into Splashin Safari, won't you still be able to access it?

I'm not a fan of water parks (though I know many are so I see no issue when parks add to them) so I didn't visit Safari when I was there and don't know what rules they have for it.

I'm excited about the new stuff. I've been going to Holiday World since Raven was built (I got my Firecracker "credit" you credit fiends!) but missed a couple years in there - including this year. Holiday World has proven themselves as one of the industry underdogs time and again... and continue to set new standards (is it "less greed" or are they just really lucky? Or both?)

Splashin' Safari has some of the best slides I've ever been on; very ride-able and some seem longer than at other parks. I haven't been on Mammoth yet, but I had more fun on Wildebeest than I have on most land coasters!

If they put a big giraffe head up on top of the former PP, that would be pretty damned awesome.

I'd chip in on a Kickstarter to put a giant fire-breathing giraffe head on top of PP!

You have to admit THAT would make it onto the news.

YES. THIS.

So.... What about the new trains for the Voyage?....... Has Holiday world given up?

I think what's more telling is that in about 40 responses since the announcement, only 2 people have mentioned the new trains.

Edited by robbalvey

I just hope their upcoming additions are for the ride park, as based on their current offerings I'd find it hard to justify a full day at the place if you're not interested in the waterpark side.

No mention of Timberliners? I guess they're playing it safe and probably don't want to announce that they are getting them until they are sure they'll be getting them.

Offerings at Holiday World not enough to fill a day? That's the first I've heard someone characterize Holiday World as a half-day park. I found myself filled with things to do for the entirety of the day on my first visit this year. I think Voyage, Raven, the Legend + food alone is enough to make for a fun filled, but Holiday World had so much else to offer beyond coasters.

I just hope their upcoming additions are for the ride park, as based on their current offerings I'd find it hard to justify a full day at the place if you're not interested in the waterpark side.

That's the first I've heard someone characterize Holiday World as a half-day park.

Really? I feel like it's a pretty common point of view.

Offerings at Holiday World not enough to fill a day? That's the first I've heard someone characterize Holiday World as a half-day park.

Keep in mind they only have 3 major roller coasters, and there is a severe lack of large flats. What they do have is top-notch, though

2033006352_ScreenShot2012-10-23at11_52_29PM.png.996e54b75d679675eed6baf443b9ba31.png

From the Park Index

The question is answered about Giraffica (copied from the Holiblog at holidayworld.com):

"Will Giraffica still be accessible from the Thanksgiving section? We have always looked forward to riding Pilgrim's Plunge on our "dry" day at the park.

Submitted by Todd on 23 October 2012 - 7:37am.

Yes, it will still be accessible from the Thanksgiving section.

Submitted by HoliBlog on 23 October 2012 - 1:13pm."

So that's good news and should make everyone happy.

I don't see what all the complaining is about. I feel theme parks and water parks go very closely together and I like water parks /water slides almost as much as theme parks / roller coasters. If were in Indiana or in that region of the country I would definitely put a day aside for visiting Holiday World. Plus it gets really hot and humid in that part of the country (or at least I hear) and I'm sure park guests are glad to have an abundance of water attractions to cool off in. I wish more theme parks in California had an included water park, and a decent included water park, not a joke water park section like CGA with one good water slide. My only complaint about water parks is their operating seasons are so short (usually late May to early Sept). There are hot/sunny weekends in late April/early May and late Sept/early Oct in certain parts of the country (cough..SoCal/CenCal..cough) were if water parks were open people would go.

The question is answered about Giraffica (copied from the Holiblog at holidayworld.com):

"Will Giraffica still be accessible from the Thanksgiving section? We have always looked forward to riding Pilgrim's Plunge on our "dry" day at the park.

Submitted by Todd on 23 October 2012 - 7:37am.

Yes, it will still be accessible from the Thanksgiving section.

Submitted by HoliBlog on 23 October 2012 - 1:13pm."

So that's good news and should make everyone happy.

Yay! Thanks for posting this.

If they put a big giraffe head up on top of the former PP, that would be pretty damned awesome.

I'd chip in on a Kickstarter to put a giant fire-breathing giraffe head on top of PP!

You have to admit THAT would make it onto the news.

Gonna repost this idea. Come on, THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

I haven't been on Mammoth yet, but I had more fun on Wildebeest than I have on most land coasters!

This is my point exactly. To me, Wildebeest is one of my favorite coasters around. It just happens to be on water. And find a time where you can ride solo in the front seat (HWN) and you'll experience the best moments of airtime in your life. Mammoth is also great, and the faster speeds and spinning is fun, but its nothing compared to Wildebeest's amazing air.

Honestly, I've never been to Holiday World but I could probably spend a very large portion of my day on Raven. So, I could totally justify a full day there.

After being beaten to a bloody pulp on Facebook, I come over here and ... oh, my ! Supportive, positive comments.

(Isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?)

Thank you!

To address/answer some of the posts:

1. You will be able to can get to Giraffica from either park when Splashin' Safari is open.

2. Yes, Robb, please wear clothes on Giraffica. Please.

3. We're adding to Splashin' Safari to try to get ahead of the crowds. That's the park that needs capacity attention right now. RhinoBlaster is a people eater. The new entry plaza and service area will be in the same location as what we've had the past 20 years - we're taking out the original river and two slides to make room. (We still have Bahari River.)

4. Timberliners have not been forgotten. It's just sort of embarrassing to re-introduce them, you know? GravityKraft will be on-site next week to test them.

5. Dan's "2014 - '15 - '16" quote in the paper referred to ongoing projects. He's really excited about one in particular...which was the impetus for the "big, big, big" comment.

6. For those who like the name "Giraffica," you have excellent taste.

Thanks, Paula

^ You failed to address this...

(Isn't this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?)

Yes. You might as well just say you're doing the fire-breathing giraffe head as the world is ending and it won't matter anyway....

Edited by robbalvey

After being beaten to a bloody pulp on Facebook, I come over here and ... oh, my ! Supportive, positive comments.

Thank you!

6. For those who like the name "Giraffica," you have excellent taste.

Thanks, Paula

No, thank YOU Paula! Holiday World is a great, GREAT park and I hope to make another HWN next year!

What we really want to know is though: fire breathing giraffe head on Giraffica: When? And where's the Kickstarter for it?

It's been 6 years since I've been to HW so things may have changed (and sorry if this was already answered, I didn't see it), but isn't Splashin' Safari free admission once you are in Holiday World? What is the concern about Pilgrim's Plunge if it moves into Splashin Safari, won't you still be able to access it?

I'm not a fan of water parks (though I know many are so I see no issue when parks add to them) so I didn't visit Safari when I was there and don't know what rules they have for it.

Yes, you'll be able to access Giraffica from our Thanksgiving section.

This is great news!

I was telling my Dad about this place and how good the reviews have been for Splashin' Safari & he REALLy wants to go next year. We love water parks and all the recent additions here during the past few years have me thinking that this is a must-do trip for 2013....can't wait!