Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby rcdude » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am

I guess Holiday World's definition of a quiet year must be one where they don't break any records. :b Seriously, this looks like an excellent addition and is way more than I was expecting them to get after Mammoth last year. It should help to spread out crowds in the waterpark and improve the capacity of the place, as that was one of the most crowded waterparks I've seen. I just hope their upcoming additions are for the ride park, as based on their current offerings I'd find it hard to justify a full day at the place if you're not interested in the waterpark side.

No mention of Timberliners? I guess they're playing it safe and probably don't want to announce that they are getting them until they are sure they'll be getting them.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Where Will My Camera of Doom Next Strike!?!

Postby CreativeForce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:05 am

I think it's great. Splashing Safari is always one of those parks that I will take time out from riding coasters to enjoy. And the additions just make it a better experience by adding variety and keeping the lines down. Congrats to Holiday World for continuing to add to the guest experience. This will help ensure that it stays one of the premiere regional parks in the entire country!
"If I am great, it's because I stand on the shoulders of Giants" - Albert Einstein
Me, I'm still standing on the apple box of mediocrity. :P

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy216 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

As awesome as this is, it worries me that the park has been focusing so heavily on the water park rather than the rides park. I mean these slides look amazing, but it seems that the water park is the new focus of Holiday World now.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 am

coastercrazy216 wrote:As awesome as this is, it worries me that the park has been focusing so heavily on the water park rather than the rides park. I mean these slides look amazing, but it seems that the water park is the new focus of Holiday World now.

That's because the water park is insanely popular! When you have 10+ water rides with super long lines and rides that are minimal to no wait, what would you add? Remember the park is a business and it's called Holiday World and Splashin' Safari. There's nothing to worry about. The park will continue to expand and I'm sure they will be adding major dry rides in the near future to keep that part of the park "fresh" and exciting =)

They added a star flyer last year also, right?

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:56 am

Wow, another big addition to the waterpark. I think that the waterpark has almost doubled in size since the opening of Pilgrims Plunge.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:59 am

coastercrazy216 wrote:As awesome as this is, it worries me that the park has been focusing so heavily on the water park rather than the rides park. I mean these slides look amazing, but it seems that the water park is the new focus of Holiday World now.

Absolutely! I think you've just answered your own concern. Obviously they are going to focus where the crowds are going, and the areas of the park that are popular. If you haven't noticed, it's been quite the trend in local theme parks lately. Just look at Alabama Adventure. Am I suggesting that Holiday World is going to close the rides park? No. But they clearly know what their demographic likes, and they will keep focusing on that.

Let me put this into a little bit of personal perspective. TPR makes two feature-length video products - "Roller Coasters in the RAW" and "Coaster Expedition." I *personally* prefer making and watching our Coaster Expedition series, but our audience, almost 250 to 1 prefer the Roller Coasters in the RAW series, which is why you've seen us release 5 RAW products in the same time frame that we released 1 Coaster Expedition title.

While I realize the majority of this forum audience is going to want to see Holiday World build another coaster or huge flat ride, it's pretty obvious to me that the park doesn't think that's what they need right now, and if you've been to the park recently, you'll see that the water park gets INSANELY crowded!

When the time comes that Holiday World needs to add something big to the rides section, I'm sure they will...

--Robb

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 am

I have to absolutely agree with Robb. Since the time Cowabunga Bay was in the design phase I had incorporated a speed slide drop into a champagne bowl future slide. Why? Because I am a thrill ride enthusiast and I wanted my park to have something high thrill.

Year after year I wanted to put in this slide but the customers we attract and the surveys we did all pointed to Mom with her young kids and they wanted something different than what I did. So, this past season we made the decision to shift our expansion budget from the thrill slide to a Kids pool area and more shade. It paid off big time in the way of 20% attendance increase and 45% increase in Season Pass sales.

Smart business decisions are made on what the majority of the market wants not the minority, even if that means it isn't a major new thrill ride.

-Shane "who hopes to do more major things in Vegas” Huish
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby better_by_design » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 am

If you've been to Holiday World in the summer, you'd have to agree with my wife (which is always a good idea, she's really smart) who LOVES their watercoasters, but HATES the crazy, insane lines the whole waterpark gets - and put in a bunch more "normal slides".

Apparently the Koch's are also smart and are doing just that! Not every ride needs to be a record setter, and RhinoBlaster will add something new, but also add a bunch more capacity for the most popular part of Holiday World.

And as others have said, I'm sure part of Pilgrim's Plunge being renamed is being able to more easily match hours with Splashin' Safari rather than having to have an exception to the Holiday World sides hours. And hopefully add some fire breathing giraffes!

It will be interesting to see what the new entrance area consists of, and exactly WHERE it is - the current waterpark entrance complex is much too small for the crowds that huddle around it at opening - it wasn't designed for the numbers of guests they are getting now!

Nice solid addition after Mammoth this year! Fingers crossed for a new (non-water) coaster soon!
"I am fascinated, always."
My Overseas Adventures TRsImage

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 pm

I think anyone who lived through the summer the Midwest just lived through will have nothing but good things to say about more waterpark attractions. I know I heard a lot of awful stories.

If they put a big giraffe head up on top of the former PP, that would be pretty damned awesome. ;)
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby better_by_design » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm

RoCo wrote:If they put a big giraffe head up on top of the former PP, that would be pretty damned awesome. ;)

I'd chip in on a Kickstarter to put a giant fire-breathing giraffe head on top of PP!

You have to admit THAT would make it onto the news.
"I am fascinated, always."
My Overseas Adventures TRsImage

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!