TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Even though it has "moved" will Giraffica be like Pilgram's Plunge and still be accesible from both parks?

It's kinda sounding like "no" since the emphasis is that the ride is moving to Splashin' Safari? (Like moving TO Splashin' Safari FROM Holiday World) But I could be wrong....

Edited by robbalvey

I love it all!

Nothing major, huh? That new slide complex seems pretty major to me! I love that the park is getting a tornado wave! It's going to be pretty sweet!

I like the new name for Pilgrim's Plunge, too.

Trust Holiday World to continue being one of the best parks in the US!

^^ I guess the real question would be "Do you need a bathing suit to ride it?" because even though it's not accessible from Holiday World anymore, if you can still ride it in normal clothes, it's not that difficult to walk through the water park to ride it.

^^very true. I hope they don't require a bathing suit for it. Even though it was absolutely drenching, on the day I visited it was a nice way to cool off when in a bathing suit AND normal clothes.

^which is why it was great to have the option.

Edited by Moose

The "new entry plaza" for Splashin' Safari makes me think it's for the area east of the Voyage, where Plunge/Giraffica and Rhino Blast will be. Just my guess...I'm thinking it'll still connect to the existing Thanksgiving area. Even if its theme is changed to match Splashin' Safari, I don't see why you wouldn't still be able to get to it.

Congrats to Holiday World on their continued growth!

^ I would assume that some sort of overhaul of the themeing is in order for the ride, so maybe they'll add some spitting Giraffe's on the pre-lift section, and an evil animatronic giraffe on the lift platform itself that terrorizes riders on the way up the tower!

^ I would assume that some sort of overhaul of the themeing is in order for the ride, so maybe they'll add some spitting Giraffe's on the pre-lift section, and an evil animatronic giraffe on the lift platform itself that terrorizes riders on the way up the tower!

Let's be honest, there wasn't THAT much theming that needs to be redone!

^^Okay, yeah yeah there wasn't that much but there is probably a ride sign or something that needs to be replaced and some brown that needs to be painted yellow and green!

Give me a break, I'm just trying to find a way to justify animatronic fire breathing giraffe's!

There was theming on Pilgrims Plunge?

And those smaller slides are supposed to be like regular inner tube slides, but they're those faster versions of them with steeper helixes and speed gaining drops. Should be much better than Otorongo. Those who have been on the ones in parks like Aquatica or SFGAm's water park might know what I mean.

Also, that quarter pipe slide looks great, but not as fulfilling as slides like Zinga. Still, I can't wait until it comes out!

I guess Holiday World's definition of a quiet year must be one where they don't break any records. Seriously, this looks like an excellent addition and is way more than I was expecting them to get after Mammoth last year. It should help to spread out crowds in the waterpark and improve the capacity of the place, as that was one of the most crowded waterparks I've seen. I just hope their upcoming additions are for the ride park, as based on their current offerings I'd find it hard to justify a full day at the place if you're not interested in the waterpark side.

No mention of Timberliners? I guess they're playing it safe and probably don't want to announce that they are getting them until they are sure they'll be getting them.

I think it's great. Splashing Safari is always one of those parks that I will take time out from riding coasters to enjoy. And the additions just make it a better experience by adding variety and keeping the lines down. Congrats to Holiday World for continuing to add to the guest experience. This will help ensure that it stays one of the premiere regional parks in the entire country!

As awesome as this is, it worries me that the park has been focusing so heavily on the water park rather than the rides park. I mean these slides look amazing, but it seems that the water park is the new focus of Holiday World now.

Absolutely! I think you've just answered your own concern. Obviously they are going to focus where the crowds are going, and the areas of the park that are popular. If you haven't noticed, it's been quite the trend in local theme parks lately. Just look at Alabama Adventure. Am I suggesting that Holiday World is going to close the rides park? No. But they clearly know what their demographic likes, and they will keep focusing on that.

Let me put this into a little bit of personal perspective. TPR makes two feature-length video products - "Roller Coasters in the RAW" and "Coaster Expedition." I *personally* prefer making and watching our Coaster Expedition series, but our audience, almost 250 to 1 prefer the Roller Coasters in the RAW series, which is why you've seen us release 5 RAW products in the same time frame that we released 1 Coaster Expedition title.

While I realize the majority of this forum audience is going to want to see Holiday World build another coaster or huge flat ride, it's pretty obvious to me that the park doesn't think that's what they need right now, and if you've been to the park recently, you'll see that the water park gets INSANELY crowded!

When the time comes that Holiday World needs to add something big to the rides section, I'm sure they will...

--Robb

I have to absolutely agree with Robb. Since the time Cowabunga Bay was in the design phase I had incorporated a speed slide drop into a champagne bowl future slide. Why? Because I am a thrill ride enthusiast and I wanted my park to have something high thrill.

Year after year I wanted to put in this slide but the customers we attract and the surveys we did all pointed to Mom with her young kids and they wanted something different than what I did. So, this past season we made the decision to shift our expansion budget from the thrill slide to a Kids pool area and more shade. It paid off big time in the way of 20% attendance increase and 45% increase in Season Pass sales.

Smart business decisions are made on what the majority of the market wants not the minority, even if that means it isn't a major new thrill ride.

-Shane "who hopes to do more major things in Vegas” Huish

If you've been to Holiday World in the summer, you'd have to agree with my wife (which is always a good idea, she's really smart) who LOVES their watercoasters, but HATES the crazy, insane lines the whole waterpark gets - and put in a bunch more "normal slides".

Apparently the Koch's are also smart and are doing just that! Not every ride needs to be a record setter, and RhinoBlaster will add something new, but also add a bunch more capacity for the most popular part of Holiday World.

And as others have said, I'm sure part of Pilgrim's Plunge being renamed is being able to more easily match hours with Splashin' Safari rather than having to have an exception to the Holiday World sides hours. And hopefully add some fire breathing giraffes!

It will be interesting to see what the new entrance area consists of, and exactly WHERE it is - the current waterpark entrance complex is much too small for the crowds that huddle around it at opening - it wasn't designed for the numbers of guests they are getting now!

Nice solid addition after Mammoth this year! Fingers crossed for a new (non-water) coaster soon!

I think anyone who lived through the summer the Midwest just lived through will have nothing but good things to say about more waterpark attractions. I know I heard a lot of awful stories.

If they put a big giraffe head up on top of the former PP, that would be pretty damned awesome.