TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^The entire point of a Stengel dive is to be a negative-G overbank.

Planning a cross-country trip for the summer after I graduate...and with these pictures that day can't come soon enough!

Yeah I'm planning a trip to Silver Dollar City this summer, just in case I can't make it on the TPR tour. This coaster looks great.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone over at Nolimits-Exchange figured out how to make the images larger!

What kind of freaky witchcraft stuff are they doing at RMC???!!!! That looks like something that happens to me in NoLimits when I mess up on a turn radius!!!

No freaking way. You've got to be kidding me. That looks insane!

What. The. What.

Thinking bizarre laterals, hoping for crazy floater air, feeling sexy either way.

Boy oh boy this thing loooks sooo sweet. I like that its not out in the open and the elements can shock you. Im a big fan of terain coasters that is the ONLY reason why I place Voyage ahead of El Toro is because I cant see whats happening ahead. i dont like standing in line and seeing the whole coaster and what its doing even if I have ridden it hundreds of times. Now my biggest question is, what is the benefit of a hybrid coaster like this? Since it has the total smoothness of a steel coaster, why not just make the whole thing steel?

This is one of the rides I am most excited to ride. Can't wait to see how good those elements are with a woodie. And even if it ends up being terrible, I'd still be at Silver Dollar City with cinnamon bread!!!!

Is it just me or does that speed hill look like it will have insane airtime?

No, you're not alone...but not only that airtime hill. I think the airtime hill in the double up on Outlaw Run will be somewhat similar the airtime hill before the break run on NTAG (which by RMC's terms could also be a double up) - in other words, it will be INTENSE!!

This is one of the rides I am most excited to ride. Can't wait to see how good those elements are with a woodie. And even if it ends up being terrible, I'd still be at Silver Dollar City with cinnamon bread!!!!

SDC doesn't often strike out on a new ride. Their list of defunct rides is pretty short, and mainly due to limited capacity (keep in mind, Branson was not at all a major tourist destination in 1960). In fact, off the top of my head, I'd say only three, although you might count five, depending on whether you want to count the remodels:

Jim Owen's Float Trip (log flume)--remodeled into American Plunge (another log flume)

Rube Dugan's Diving Bell (submarine ride/show)--replaced by Lost River of the Ozarks, an Intamin rapids ride

BuzzSaw Falls (Premier water coaster*)--remodeled into Powder Keg (S&S air launch coaster)

Wilderness Waterboggan (what it says on the tin, a toboggan water slide)--ride torn down, queue tower and landing platform SBNO

Huck Finn's Hideaway (children's walkthrough)--SBNO

...And that's it. So when they build a ride, they build it to last. I'll admit that I have a bit of caution about this ride, but in reality it only tempers the ridiculous amount of enthusiasm I have for it. I've seen this in person, and it's just incredible. On the one hand, the overbank angles, the inversions, the airtime elements--are unlike anything I've ever seen. It just exudes speed, even without seeing an actual train on it. On the other hand, it looks invitingly familiar, like it's always been a part of SDC. This coaster will fit with the park, and more importantly, will bring new people to the park. Remember, to make money on this coaster, they must sell $10 million worth of tickets that wouldn't have been sold without the coaster. Tall order, but I think they've got a good handle on it. More importantly (at least to me), Outlaw Run looks like a whole mess of fun.

*By "water coaster," I mean the Journey to Atlantis type, not a water slide that goes uphill.

Remember, to make money on this coaster, they must sell $10 million worth of tickets that wouldn't have been sold without the coaster.

Not exactly, you also need to determine the average profit per visitor (which includes admission plus in park purchases.) But no matter how you look at it the payoff on a new coaster is not recovered in just 2-3 years.

Are these trains being produced by Rocky Mountain or is SDC going with another company in the same vein of SFOT and Texas Giant? I'm seriously digging these new themed trains. After seeing these and really loving Texas Giant's Cadillacs, I'm hoping FT goes with some awesome looking trains for Iron Rattler.

^Never question RMC. They know what they're doing.

Seriously, though. I'm pretty sure it's been said somewhere in this thread that the trains have been tested and should be good to go when they arrive on site.

I'm LOVING the look of those trains. I'm not sure I've ever seen wooden coaster trains that classy since PTC's first train designs of the early 20th century.