TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Relationships

Blink

I'm not so worried about dating her.. I just don't wanna end up in the shitter cause of all of this, or for her to. And my brain is saying assert your position. But my heart is saying don't ruin things. I'm currently trying to sort it all out, maybe a third of the way there. But if it happens again.. Ugh, who knows. It's a matter of character. I'm trying to go against mine and it's proving rather difficult.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooookay, I'm struggling to think of a way that this situation could be more complicated.

I'll just say that Ashley, my long-distance ex, broke up with her new boyfriend this week. In the hour-long phone call we just had to ease her scrambled feelings, we essentially rekindled our feelings for each other, but agreed that we can't do anything about it just yet, as some more things have yet to be figured out. And there are some things that would make getting back together really uncomfortable, to say the least. (update 4/21:) And now my parents revealed that they didn't like her, nor did pretty much anyone, which baffles me.

It's all totally up in the air right now, and I have absolutely no idea how it's going to play out.. I guess we'll see in the next week.

Welp, it's over. And you know what? I'm okay with it.

Our relationship wasn't anywhere near healthy, looking back. I expected too much of her in a high-stress situation, and the incredibly low frequency of seeing one another was miserable. And really, we both only gained from this relationship. I helped her through some really tough times, and she helped me mature as a person and learn how to treat a girl right. We may have promised it would last forever, but oh well, it's a mutual promise-break. No need for any regrets. As for what happens after this, I'll leave it to 9:00 News. (warning: high volume!)

Well, my first relationship in my 20 years of existence is over. Turns out it doesn't work very well when you're studying for engineering and spend most of your time at school and doing schoolwork and she is working nearly every day. To be honest, she had so many problems and was such a needy person, it's almost a relief to be alone again. She was very nice and she liked me and I liked her, but we figured it was best to end it before I left to study in Platteville and we tried to do a long-distance relationship.

My name is relevant again!

• 4 weeks later...
Went on a first date yesterday and she said "your obsession with roller coasters isn't nerdy." I think I should marry this woman.

Loving roller coasters was a prerequisite for me. My wife calls it nerdy, but shes always up (and sometimes asking when we are going to the parks next) for coasters. Once I found that out, that was one major hurdle that was behind me

Loving roller coasters was a prerequisite for me.

I think I could settle with a husband who didn't like coasters, as long as he understood that I'm going to go off and ride coasters every chance I get, with or without him... and I'm going to jabber incessantly when something exciting in the industry happens... and he just has to deal with it.

Although this...

Went on a first date yesterday and she said "your obsession with roller coasters isn't nerdy." I think I should marry this woman.

Is really sweet. Made me smile.

For me, going to the parks isn't as fun without someone. So if I'm spending the rest of my life with that person, I knew they had to love roller coasters. Shes not a nerd about it and she definitely has different taste in rides but she loves to go to the parks with me. Just made the decision all that much easier

^ LOVE your avatar!

Turns out it doesn't work very well when you're studying for engineering and spend most of your time at school and doing schoolwork and she is working nearly every day. To be honest, she had so many problems and was such a needy person...

an engineer saying someone else was too nerdy?

Just recently ended a 6 month stint with a total bitch, feels great to not deal with that anymore! So I guess I'm single again...... [creepy voice]ladies[/creepy voice]]

^ LOVE your avatar!

yea I stole it from someone on my local SCCA forums. I had to, it cracks me up each time I see it. My wife is so awesome, shes letting me get into autocross this year. I go tomorrow to take a "Autocross School" which coupled with my years and years of sim racing and reading racing books, etc - should give me a great primer to go out there and rip it up.

If I can manage a set of rims and some AutoX tires while still getting us a house in a year - then shes the bestest ever. (well she is, but just saying )

• 1 month later...

So I liked to say that I was one of the unicorns of TPR... i.e. straight, single, female... just not that many of us

Well now there's one less unicorn!

I was at SFDK for the season pass preview for S:UF as a single rider, hanging out with other single rider enthusiasts (mostly ACErs), and talking about TPR. I think it may have been during the breakdown when I was standing on the stairs and noticed someone with a 2012 WCB shirt wayyyy in the back and said, "Oh look, there's a TPR member!" Next time I went through, I passed right by the same guy and was like, "Yeah! Go TPR!!!" and high-fived him. In my head I was like, "DAMN, this guy is cute... he's probably gay."

Shortly after, I was left a single rider again. By the time I got to the station, I still didn't have a buddy so I figured I'd just be riding alone. Next thing I know, I turn around and the TPR guy (rolercstrluvr) is standing right behind me smiling ear to ear. I was so happy to hang out with him and ride the coaster... we kept marathoning it until noon.

Then, we decided to hang out together the rest of the day. We did many of the animal exhibits and goofed off and had fun. We both felt an instant connection and just decided to make it FBO.... so now we also have to make it TPRO.

We like to describe our feelings like this: If most people's relationships are like a wacky worm, our relationship is like this:

Which we hope to ride together some day.

• 2 months later...

I have a pending date either this weekend or next. We haven't talked much but I already found three things we have in common: we're both Christian, Christian rock is our favorite genre, and we're both musicians (I play drums and she sings). The stereotype of high school relationships being meaningless and pointless isn't entirely true, my parents met in high school and my cousin met her husband in high school, I know quite a few couples who have been together for at least a year, some even more like 3 years, and one couple's been together for 4 years. I hope it works out.

I have a pending date either this weekend or next. We haven't talked much but I already found three things we have in common: we're both Christian, Christian rock is our favorite genre, and we're both musicians (I play drums and she sings). The stereotype of high school relationships being meaningless and pointless isn't entirely true, my parents met in high school and my cousin met her husband in high school, I know quite a few couples who have been together for at least a year, some even more like 3 years, and one couple's been together for 4 years. I hope it works out.

To piggy back off what you said...

I am 27 and graduated 10 years ago (WOW I feel OLD lol). Anyway, there are many couples now married that met when we were all in high school.

The stereotype of high school relationships being meaningless and pointless isn't entirely true, my parents met in high school and my cousin met her husband in high school, I know quite a few couples who have been together for at least a year, some even more like 3 years, and one couple's been together for 4 years. I hope it works out.

I've been with my boyfriend for almost four years now, and we met my sophomore (his freshman) year of high school. We've been living together in college for a little over a year now and we're doing just fine!

Hit it and quit it. Words to live by when you are in your early 20's, since lets be honest...

Rarely will you get lucky and find "the one" on your first go around. Also, you probably don't even know what you want yet.

But to each his or her own.

I wouldn't say meaningless and pointless. I think all high school relationships have benefit even if they don't work out in the long run (and there are definitely some that do!) It's all about what you learn from the experience. As a Christian, I believe that God sometimes uses young relationships to teach you things that will benefit you in future relationships, and help you grow closer to God and grow as a person... even if the relationship doesn't work out.

I hope this works out for you! (And all the commonalities you two have I think are great!)

^ I don't know why, but your response totally made me laugh! Insanely!

I am currently in a "relationship" but if you asked if I had a girlfriend I would say "ish." It's long distance and neither of us are super serious about it because she lives in San Francisco but we are both total Disney nerds and have quite a bit in common. I hope it works out but I am also 21 so if something more local ends up happening I may end up jumping on that, but for the moment it seems to be going well so far.