Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby KevinPage » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:48 pm

texcoaster wrote:
Ed Farmer wrote:
texcoaster wrote: plus Patriot is decent and has one of the best top-of-lift OMG views ever.

I don't remember there being much more than grass and a parking lot.

Yep. That is grass and a parking lot.

The point isn't the view straight ahead at the parking lot, it's the Tatsu-like way that the lift follows the contour of the land for quite some time, then just before you crest the hill, the land drops off into a valley, leaving the train a LOT higher up than expected. By the time you get around to looking down the drop, it's substantially bigger than expected.

Don't be hating on parking lots now :angel:

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Movieguy wrote:Hopefully, this won't be a repeat of SOB...looks awesome, otherwise. =)

I don't get why it would be a repeat...this rollercoaster was built in a very different fashion, and since RMC has helped construct many awesome, smooth wooden coasters (El Toro, T-Express), I feel that they learned well and that they know what they are doing. Designing their own trains is the only part that worries me. SOB was a very different track...it was also very long (4000 feet longer than Outlaw Run), and had huge, huge helices that looked unbearable...the loop was supposed to be the smoothest part of the coaster!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:17 am

^ good point. Gives me reason to hope. =)

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 am

The more I come into contact with everyone involved on this project, the less doubts I have. No one has left anything to chance on this project. I sincerely doubt they will encounter any issues with the rolls or rider discomfort, and even in the extreme off-chance that they did, they have over four months to make changes before the season starts in mid March. We've definitely all been burned by bad woodies and bad attempts at looping woodies, but you've got to give RMC and SDC credit on this one. They know what to do to make this coaster incredible and they've done an excellent job through and through.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:36 pm

The Yeti wrote:
Movieguy wrote:Hopefully, this won't be a repeat of SOB...looks awesome, otherwise. =)

I don't get why it would be a repeat...this rollercoaster was built in a very different fashion, and since RMC has helped construct many awesome, smooth wooden coasters (El Toro, T-Express)

Because, whenever something new is attempted there is potential for problems. It goes without saying there are untested/unproved elements that RMC are trying.

No one can say with certainly this will or won't be a success.

Then there will be the question of how it holds up over time.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm

^Exactly. Of course people involved with the project are going to be confident about their product. They are salesman. No one involved with RMC is going to walk around nervous with their fingers crossed that they coaster doesn't fall apart on its first test run.

With that being said, RMC has a good track record so far, so I would be surprised if this turns out to be a dud.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm

The loop was the only thing they got right on SOB. The rest of it wasn't the fault of the ride design as much as it was the train design. They were HEAVY and really beat up the track. Halfway down the first drop, the train shook so badly that I put both my arms up and put them on my head, trying to keep my brain from shaking so badly inside my skull.
The first helix was brutal. When we hit the midcourse, I'd have given just about anything to GET OFF and never experience the rest of the ride. The loop was a welcome respite - nice and smooth and fast... and then all hell broke loose between it and the station.

It completely ruined the next three parks on my trip, because my head still hurt so bad I couldn't enjoy anything. I wish I could say that I'm sorry to see it go, but I'm not.

Back on subject: I don't foresee OutRun having any problems like that. Topper track is smooth as silk and won't succumb to the kinds of stress that SOB was getting with those heavy trains and those outlandish speeds. The top speed of OutRun is well within the range of other successfull woodies and I'm betting the G forces won't be any heavier, either. If NTAG is any indication, the folks at RMC concentrate more on the negative Gs than the posiive ones, anyway!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazywolf88 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:14 pm

There is something that I was thinking about.

The fact sheet for outlaw run describes the trains as having a u bar restraint and individual fiberglass seats.
Doesn't that sound similar to another coaster we know...

El toro and T- express have the same seat layout.

So that either means:
1.Rocky mountain is taking a page out of intamin's book. Or
2.Those are the rocky mountain trains!

Not only are those seats shockingly close to the discription, but the trains for OR are said to be tested, and these trains are only on intamin woodies that rocky mountain helped build!

The only difference so far is that these trains use poly wheels as opposed to the steel wheels OR is slated to have.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 pm

U-bar and individual fiberglass seats, check.

That description is also "shockingly close" to Gerstlauer trains that ran on MegaZeph, Legend, Villain, and others.
It also fits old Schwarzkopf looper trains, as well as the ones for the shuttle loopers.

Don't read too much into that. Besides, even if they are similar to El Toro's trains, they surely won't be 6-seat cars with those acrobatics in the layout!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Location: noun - a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Postby bottom_feeder_13 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure they were confirmed as 2 seat, articulated cars with 12 per train like most GCI's.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!