TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Been away on the TPR Trips the last three weeks so forgive me if I'm rehashing something...

Anyone think we could see a repeat of the 'Maverick inversion removal prior to opening' type drama with this ride? Or do we trust Rocky Mountain more?

Just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the tearing down of the only wooden inverting coaster and now we're celebrating this like it's the best thing ever. I will reserve my opinion till the ride is running!

I doubt there will be so many issues on this one because there is so much riding on this compared to that roll on Maverick. RMC has been doing all sorts of testing on this technology. To screw up now would be more than disastrous for both them and SDC.

This ride will definitely have a different feel to it than what some may expect. It's not going to be quite the same as any old steel coaster, but I am positive that it won't be rough or uncomfortable... at least in the first decade or so. I kind of wonder what it will be like in about 15 years, but we'll see.

This ride will definitely have a different feel to it than what some may expect. It's not going to be quite the same as any old steel coaster, but I am positive that it won't be rough or uncomfortable... at least in the first decade or so. I kind of wonder what it will be like in about 15 years, but we'll see.

I'd like to try out your time machine sometime.

Just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the tearing down of the only wooden inverting coaster and now we're celebrating this like it's the best thing ever. I will reserve my opinion till the ride is running!

In fairness, the inversion was the least of the problems with SOB. And I think RMC already has a much better reputation than RCCA ever did.

Yes, it wasn't the loop or even the 200 foot drop, but everything else. And the way I understand, it wasn't just RCCA's bad design, but the decision of KI to deliberately buy cheap pine and actually take over the supervision of building the thing. The last members of the 'super wooden coaster team' that designed and built the Beast and Grizzly, retired shortly after KI completed it.

The Rose Bowl was absolute torture.

I'm asumming there will be an event here next year, so my questions is: I've never been to either WoF or SF StL. If I could only pick one of those parks, which one?

They both have a GCi, so it looks like it comes down to: do I want to ride The Boss or Mamba? My first reaction is The Boss.

( and if you recommend one over the other please keep it civil and logical. Thanks )

The Boss or Mamba?

How about The Boss or Prowler AND Mamba? If given the choice (and I've been to both parks numerous times), I'd choose WoF every time. Boss is OK when it runs well, but Prowler will make you forget all about it. Toss Mamba in there as icing on the cake, plus Patriot is decent and has one of the best top-of-lift OMG views ever.

Been away on the TPR Trips the last three weeks so forgive me if I'm rehashing something...

Anyone think we could see a repeat of the 'Maverick inversion removal prior to opening' type drama with this ride? Or do we trust Rocky Mountain more?

You're not the only one that has been thinking this. While it certainly looks interesting, no one can really judge how this inversion is going to work/feel until people are on it. I did really like NTAG, though, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

dt

I feel like NTAG was a proof of concept. A test if you will, to see how far this technology can go. It passed that test. The issue with Maverick was the speed it was taking the in line twist. I'm assuming that this should will take the double roll at a much slower rate. And because it is at the end of the ride, if it does have issues they can always trim it.

I'm willing get to bet it will be fine though.

Okay, now I'm officially confused as hell concerning this project, and pretty much everything Rocky Mountain offers. I'll just sit back and hope things turn out well for Outlaw Run, because we're planning on making our way out there next year. It looks really cool.

I really think that's a really bad example to compare this with, especially considering Maverick's roll was directly after a drop whereas the rolls on this coaster are towards the end of the ride. By the time the train gets to the rolls, it will most likely lose enough speed to make the traverse the rolls comfortably. Not to mention Maverick's roll was flat and Outlaw Run's are elevated at a pretty decent upward angle, which will definitely help with slowing the train down throughout the roll as well. I honestly don't think they'll have issues with it, the two situations are completely different in this case.

plus Patriot is decent and has one of the best top-of-lift OMG views ever.

I don't remember there being much more than grass and a parking lot.

Yep. That is grass and a parking lot.

Edited by Ed Farmer