Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby Raven Maven » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Aw, shucks ...

:)
Paula Werne
Holiday World Communications
HoliBlog, Facebook & HoliTwit

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Wow, that looks amazing. I've seen parks make smaller mazes, usually with hay bales before, but nothing to that extent. Leave it to Holiday World to be the ones who go bigger and better!
Last edited by deathbydinn on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:56 pm.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Postby Raven Maven » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Well, folks have always said we're located in the middle of the corn fields.

I guess they're right.
Paula Werne

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby KevinPage » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Just visited the park last weekend for the first time in 11 years. Was finally able to hit up the waterpark as well (though it was a madhouse).

Leave it to HW to have the most insane wooden coasters & water slides. Heck, even their little Dive show next to the Raven has the lady set herself on fire. Heaven forbid HW doesn't make something as simple and mundane that THRILLING. :airtimer:

I don't want to forget the best nail clipper I've ever used (for a mere $2.19 in the giftshop). :cool:

The local yokels who call this their homepark and don't visit other parks probably just take all these insane rides for granted. Little do they know the rest of the story (sure, Paul Harvey pun if that makes you feel better)

With so many other parks I have on the agenda for next year, I've said I'll only visit in 2013 if the Timberliners are on (or I win the lottery and money is not an issue). Voyage is insane, but by the end of the 2nd night my head felt like it had been through the meat grinder (in a good way). Body had no ill effects thankfully :mickey:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Markolodeon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 am

I finally made it back down to HW yesterday after a 5 year long hiatus.

Wow, they certainly have a massive hit on their hands with Mammoth! Despite the park being quite packed (it was a Saturday after all) I managed to get four rides in thanks to the single rider line. This is easily the best waterpark ride I've ever been on. Every time everyone was laughing their butts off throughout the entire ride.

I really wanted to like Wildebeest but there was a spine/neck jarring/snapping moment at the bottom of one of the drops sitting in the back row. It was bad enough that I decided not to ride again as Mammoth was so much better.

The Raven is in the best form it's been in memory. The airtime in the second to back seat is insane yet smooth and most importantly highly re-rideable and fun!

My next favorite thing to do is grab a lounge chair next to the Bahari Wave Pool, catch some rays and listen to the fantastic music pumped out over their outdoor speaker system. Is this someone's personal playlist or can it be streamed/satellite radio? If not HW should start their own radio station, WHWR! It's just one great song after another.

Now to the not so good. I've never been a big Legend fan but it's running way worse than I ever remember. One ride was way more than enough! And the poor, poor Voyage, what has happened to thee? Everything up to and a little past the triple down was sheer bliss, arguably better than opening year in 2006. The balance of the ride has always been "agressive" but now it's just plain awful, horribly rough, I got off with absolutely no desire to get back on (this was front row at 8 in the evening). The original plan to simulate the Star Wars chase scene through the woods was an admirable one but it must be a maintenance nightmare. Hopefully the park will find a fix soon.

And finally big thumbs up to the Lake Rudolph Campground! It easily makes the whole experience one of the top vacation destinations in the country. Safe, clean, beautiful - you really couldn't ask for more. The residents even stage their own electrical parade on Saturday night with what has to be at least 50 golf carts lit up with Christmas lights and decoration. What a great family friendly and fun place!

Postby Raven Maven » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Markolodeon wrote: and listen to the fantastic music pumped out over their outdoor speaker system. Is this someone's personal playlist or can it be streamed/satellite radio? If not HW should start their own radio station, WHWR! It's just one great song after another.

It started out as Will Koch's personal playlist (the three B's ... Beatles, Beach Boys and Buffett) and now Dan Koch has added some of his favorites as well.

Okay, have to ask - would you reveal your age? Just wondering if we're all in the same range together.

Thanks! Paula
Paula Werne

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

^All ages should be able to appreciate those great artists. ;)
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Postby Raven Maven » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

DJeXeL wrote:^All ages should be able to appreciate those great artists. ;)

Agreed! I get a few emails each season (and now, tweets) claiming we play "old fogie" music.

Them's fightin' words!
Paula Werne

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Godwyn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Speaking of music, how 'bout those tunes in Thanksgiving! :lol:

Postby Raven Maven » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Godwyn wrote:Speaking of music, how 'bout those tunes in Thanksgiving! :lol:

Goober Peas?

Shoot. Me. Now.
Paula Werne

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!