TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Hate to burst your bubble, but unless you feeling like sprinting to Mammoth as soon as the water park opens, your looking at a line of AT LEAST an hour for Mammoth and slightly less for Wildebeest.

Mammoth has been drawing mammoth lines and attracting more people back to that corner of the water park...meaning lines for Wildebeest haven't decreased by much, if at all.

That's fine, not the biggest fan of Wildebeest anyways. Give me Black Anaconda any day! I'll probably do the sprint to Mammoth, and maybe hit it at the end of the day. Hopefully that means the dry park is even less busy than years past.

So has their plan to manage the lines backfired on them? Thought the whole idea of putting in a higher capacity version was to pump the people through the line and away from Wildebeest...? Will we see another one for 2013? 12 person boats?

Thanks for the response!

I think it just means increased business. If you can fill both lines, then either everything else in the waterpark/main park has no line or HW is continuing to increase the counts on their ticket sales. Which is great.

Just means more amazing coasters

Hate to burst your bubble, but unless you feeling like sprinting to Mammoth as soon as the water park opens, your looking at a line of AT LEAST an hour for Mammoth and slightly less for Wildebeest.

Mammoth has been drawing mammoth lines and attracting more people back to that corner of the water park...meaning lines for Wildebeest haven't decreased by much, if at all.

Has Mammoth received the row boat style raft yet or is it still just the circular raft? Paula, do you have any information on this?

Will we see another one for 2013? 12 person boats?

Wow! They'd have to link them together into trains! The day water parks start doing that, I'll be very happy!

As for Mammoth, I can agree that Mammoth is something that you want to sprint to right away first thing when the water park opens. Right after ERT during this year's Holiwood Nights, I saw people speed-walking (near to jogging) their wat to the back corner of the park to be first on Mammoth.

I will also add that I would not mind waiting an hour to get on Mammoth. Seriously, I liked it that much! It's not intense as it is all around fun! It also get's you "stupid" wet! Much more than any of the other slides in the park, which is sort of hard to explain.

Remember, though. Mammoth has a single rider line! I discovered this when I was at the park last month. I rode wildebeest first (NO ONE in line, awesome!), then took the single rider line on Mammoth, in which there was only one other person in line. I skipped what looked to be a 40ish minute wait! It was sweet!

The "Forward Fliers" aren't going to make an appearance this season, if ever, sorry ... we've brought in more Round Spinners to keep us running at highest capacity possible.

Backstory: The FFs were designed to accommodate those who might need additional, um ... rump room. The seats on the Round Spinners looked a little confining. Turns out that hasn't been a problem, though (that I've heard of, anyway). The FFs needed more design work - so we concentrated on the Round Spinners for this season.

Thanks, Paula

I'd be more concerned about the fact that they weigh probably a third; they'd be thrown right off the slide.

So in conclusion, on a mid 90's on Monday, the dry park should be dead the whole day, the water park will be pretty crowded, Mammoth and Wildebeest will have hour waits with the rest of the big slides around 20-30 minutes. Sound close?

We are going to HW for the first time next week. Sounds like Mammoth gets a crowd quickly being new, but I know its capacity is a bit higher than that of Wildebeest. So, what would be the better, more efficient plan of attack when the waterpark opens for the morning, Mammoth then Wildebeest, or Wildebeest then Mammoth? We only have one day in the park, so we're trying to avoid long lines as best as possible.

We will probably not use the single rider line due to our large fanily. Thanks in advance for any input!

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding their latest accolade, this time from Consumers Digest.

One of the nation’s leading consumer magazines names Holiday World & Splashin' Safari the country’s “Top Value Park” in its latest issue.

Consumers Digest’s July/August edition features a section titled “Best-Value Amusement Parks.” The article, which includes a photo of the new Mammoth water coaster, called Holiday World’s roller coasters “world class” and listed the park’s top “bank for the buck” perks as the free soft drinks program, free sunscreen, free parking, free Wi-Fi, and no extra charge for Splashin' Safari admission.

Consumers Digest’s nation-wide circulation is just under 1.3 million.

Meanwhile, Voyage was named the nation's "most insane" wooden roller coaster on the premiere of Travel Channel’s “Insane Coaster Wars: Splintering Speedsters” this week. The 1.2-mile Voyage had been pitted against Kings Island’s iconic Beast, plus coasters at Dollywood and Six Flags in the half-hour show. The show airs again tonight at 10pm CT and Sunday at 8:30pm and 11:30pm CT.

For more information about the parks, also named the #1 Water Park in the Nation by TripAdvisor.com, visit HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

Remember, though. Mammoth has a single rider line! I discovered this when I was at the park last month. I rode wildebeest first (NO ONE in line, awesome!), then took the single rider line on Mammoth, in which there was only one other person in line. I skipped what looked to be a 40ish minute wait! It was sweet!

The problem is that the line often extends past the single ride line entrance. You have to wait in the line for the line to get in the line.

Also, when I was at the park, in a 2 hour period, Mammoth got stuck 2 times. Not sure if this is normal or it was having problems that day.

• 2 weeks later...

All righty then, I've just came back from Holiday World and I got ride both Wildebeest and Mammoth and I must say that both of those water coasters are way beyond descriptions of greatness!!! Plus with how efficently the ride attendants kept the water rafts going and the lines moving must also be noted with satisfaction. The extra benefits for the single rider like myself cannot be ignored, even though I had to wait in line like everyone else for Mammoth until we came to the point where the single rider's line split with the other line, and I still had to wait until there was an opening for me to get on and ride.

With two great water coasters under their belts, and many Golden Ticket Awards they've earned, it makes you wonder what Holiday World is going to do next?

"I don't know, so why don't you come to bed and sleep on it?"

^ I'm truly hoping they get the Timberliner issue resolved. Not being a smart a$$ here - but I want the Voyage to be as re-rideable as it was in 2007. I still love it, and it is still one of my favorites - but I couldn't ride more than twice without having to take a break the last time I was there.

But I do want to give a HUGE Congratulations to Holiday World. It is truly a great park with wonderful employees and it is great to see them getting the accolades that they so heartily deserve.

I rode Voyage a few days ago and found the first half to be really great with some good floater airtime on the hills and the spaghetti bowl was just the perfect mix of abrupt airtime, lats and the perfect amount of roughness to let you know it was a woodie made it really just a great ride. The issue arose with the ride after it got closer to the lift hill where it had some bad vertical and lateral jackhammering causing it to become almost un-rerideable. I can't wait for the Timberliners since the PTC restraints cut into my leg when I sit normally in them. But enough complaints. Raven was awesome and was smooth and awesome in the back seat and Legend was also really great. Now Liberty Launch deserves some love, the most epic shot tower in the universe.

^^It made a HUGE difference! I was there for Holiwood Nights last year and this year. Last year I think I maybe rode it 3 times during the 2 day event. This year I rode it about 5 times in a row at one point (right as it started to rain and ride just got insane with airtime ).

It will be even better as soon as the last part gets re-tracked, as it was still a little rough.