TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding tonight's airing of Insane Coaster Wars, which includes a segment about The Voyage.

For the second time this week, a ride at Holiday World will be featured on a new show on the Travel Channel.

The Voyage will be among four wooden roller coasters on Sunday’s episode of “Insane Coaster Wars.” A production crew from Travel Channel visited Holiday World for two days in early May to shoot footage of Voyage and the park.

Voyage has been voted the #1 Wooden Roller Coaster on the Planet every year since 2007. This 1.2-mile coaster offers more "air time" than any other wooden coaster in the world. Voyage was featured in the “Wood Takes a Thrilling Turn” cover story of last week’s New York Times’ science section.

In advance of the show, fans were encouraged to vote for their favorite wooden coaster last month on Travel Channel’s website; the winning coaster will be announced at the end of the “Splintering Speedsters” episode, which premieres Sunday, July 15, at 7:00pm CT. It will air again next Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Meanwhile, Holiday World’s Pilgrims Plunge is included in an episode of “Xtreme Water Parks” airing on the Travel Channel at 9:30pm CT on Thursday, July 12, and again at 1:30pm CT on Saturday, July 14. Pilgrims Plunge, the world’s tallest water ride, is a classic “shoot the chute” ride, featuring an open-air elevator which lift boats filled with riders 135 feet in the air.

An August episode of "Xtreme Water Parks" will include the park’s two water coasters, Wildebeest and Mammoth.

The Travel Channel is available in nearly 96 million U.S. households.

For more information about the parks, named the #1 Water Park in the Nation by TripAdvisor.com, visit HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

^Yessireebob, that should encourage the riders and amusement park flyers to come out to Holiday World."

So now it begs the question: what will this park do next as an encore. I mean, you've got two awesome water coasters, a couple of woodies that are slated to be fitted with Timberline trains, and free sodas are served throughout the park. So methinks I have an idea and I'll toss it out for free: another themed area! Of all the hoildays that are still left, how about an Easter theme? I can think of two rides that'll fit this area: One, a mad mouse coaster using rabbits-shaped cars and it's called "The Bunny Hop"; and two, a tea cup ride in which the cars are shaped and colored like Easter eggs. Then put in a candy shop that sells jellybeans, chocolate eggs, and other Easter treats and you've got yourself EASTER!!!

How's that for an encore?

Of course, this is just wishful thinking. I have no idea of any rumors nor what Holiday World will be putting in next, but I thought Easter would fit the bill nicely. What do all you riders and amusment park flyers think?

"I think you typed enough and should come to bed. You need your rest."

^Don't forget St. Patrick's Day, President's Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Columbus Day, Labor Day, Memorial day, Talk like a pirate day, Valentines Day. (I know it's not a holiday, but technically neither is Halloween.) What I'm getting at, is that they really have quite a bit to work with. Why limit yourself to just Easter.

Out of that list (and Easter) I think Valentines day would make the best addition. (Please please no Easter) That being said, i think there is room in many of the existing zones, especially Thanksgiving, to add attractions.

Easter has too many religious connotations to it to be practical, I think. *

I kind of like the idea of a holiday that could really have some oomph to it. St. Patrick's day* for example could have some winning ride ideas for many people to enjoy- beyond the obvious. Valentines Day has the most practicality about it- but lacks the ability to flex to the 'family' atmosphere of a park such as HW. Memorial Day & Labor day provide good summertime/fall settings- but fail to attract the energy of rides, etc. to make them practical. Mardi Gras would be a great fit- but may not fly well with the locals, as it tends to be very regional in nature.

In all, they have a range of ways they can choose to go- should they choose to add a new holiday theme area.

(* Note: My reasoning behind Easter is this: While 2/3rds of the country celebrates Easter, 1/3rd do not- which means there would be some connotations lost in translation, even to the educated. The same could be said for St. Patrick's Day.)

Easter has too many religious connotations to it to be practical, I think.

You're kidding, right? Having an Easter section with bunny and colored egg theming is no more religious than having a Christmas section with Santa and elves.

Let's not forget that the WHOLE PARK used to be Christmas-themed...

I've always through Easter as a themed park section would be cause of constant consternation. Why? Too religious for some and not religious enough for others. We'd never satisfy the masses. (Oops, sorry, my Catholicism just slipped out for a sec ...)

But then, who am I ... ?*

*Oh, yes, the one who deals with the complaints.

So now it begs the question: what will this park do next as an encore. I mean, you've got two awesome water coasters, a couple of woodies that are slated to be fitted with Timberline trains

Voyage and... ? I haven't heard anything about Legend or Raven getting Timberliners. Remember, the Timberliners *might be* a trade off of sorts for any new installation, but won't necessarily make a better ride (or reverse).

I don't get the Easter confusion. The park doesn't seem to have a problem with religion in the holidays. Note the big nativity scene they have in the Christmas section. Besides, the park already has a show that's all covers of contemporary Christian music and is now offering it's first Christian concerts this year.

I wouldn't foresee a problem, what with the park being in a pretty religious area anyway.

I've heard a few coaster fans going on about how Holiday World is a little too ... what's the word... religious/republican/conservative/controlling, etc. etc... (NONE of those are the right word, I'm sure someone could word it better...)

My experience has been that they are some of the nicest folks around. Pat Koch always speaks at the events and I really appreciate how she emphasizes that *EVERYONE* is welcome. I've been going to the park since 1995 and the well-behaved crowds is something I look forward to.

If you misbehave there (they do have rules), then of course you will be teed-off. They are trained to deal with that, too. And some people insist on breaking rules or acting out... not that place for them. I appreciate that Holiday World does not put up with poor behavior.

I'm tired of the "innuendo" shirts at big parks that claim to be "family friendly." Forget being hypocritical, it's just annoying.

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding tonight's airing of Insane Coaster Wars, which includes a segment about The Voyage.

For the second time this week, a ride at Holiday World will be featured on a new show on the Travel Channel.

The Voyage will be among four wooden roller coasters on Sunday’s episode of “Insane Coaster Wars.” A production crew from Travel Channel visited Holiday World for two days in early May to shoot footage of Voyage and the park.

Voyage has been voted the #1 Wooden Roller Coaster on the Planet every year since 2007. This 1.2-mile coaster offers more "air time" than any other wooden coaster in the world. Voyage was featured in the “Wood Takes a Thrilling Turn” cover story of last week’s New York Times’ science section.

In advance of the show, fans were encouraged to vote for their favorite wooden coaster last month on Travel Channel’s website; the winning coaster will be announced at the end of the “Splintering Speedsters” episode, which premieres Sunday, July 15, at 7:00pm CT. It will air again next Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Meanwhile, Holiday World’s Pilgrims Plunge is included in an episode of “Xtreme Water Parks” airing on the Travel Channel at 9:30pm CT on Thursday, July 12, and again at 1:30pm CT on Saturday, July 14. Pilgrims Plunge, the world’s tallest water ride, is a classic “shoot the chute” ride, featuring an open-air elevator which lift boats filled with riders 135 feet in the air.

An August episode of "Xtreme Water Parks" will include the park’s two water coasters, Wildebeest and Mammoth.

The Travel Channel is available in nearly 96 million U.S. households.

For more information about the parks, named the #1 Water Park in the Nation by TripAdvisor.com, visit HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

Darn it,I missed that episode,is there gonna be another one this coming saturday?I'll be at KD tomorrow so I'd have to DVR it of course.

Although I do realize each patriotic holiday has its own particular history and focus, I think the 4th of July section at Holiday World covers the patriotic holiday theming perfectly well for them. No need to represent another one.

I'd love to see a Mardi Gras section. There's a lot of potential for interesting ride themes; throw in a unique restaurant and a show (or perhaps some sort of show/parade hybrid) and you're set. Plus, it'd be fun and colorful. I love fun and colors!

That said, before they add another section I think they should fill in the Thanksgiving area with a few more attractions. It may be tough filling that area in though. As much as I love HW I feel Thanksgiving is simply too spread out and feels disconnected from the rest of the park, and not just because it's down the hill.

I have never made the trek to Holiday World, and will have a few hours this saturday morning to stop in. Are the crowds typically bad at open on a saturday? I happen to be driving through the area for work and plan on stopping in for 2-3 hours in the morning.

Thanks for the help!

So now it begs the question: what will this park do next as an encore. I mean, you've got two awesome water coasters, a couple of woodies that are slated to be fitted with Timberline trains

Voyage and... ? I haven't heard anything about Legend or Raven getting Timberliners. Remember, the Timberliners *might be* a trade off of sorts for any new installation, but won't necessarily make a better ride (or reverse).

There were rumblings out a couple of years ago suggesting that Raven would be getting T-Liners as well. I think they tested some on it??? I can't remember the details exactly, but I remember the idea.

I feel the same way about Holiday World. I've always found the folks that run the place EXTREMELY kind and the staff was some of the nicest and best I've seen.