TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

According to Swoosh that runs Midwestinfo guide this is the first of three major projects at SDC and the cheapest. The second he sez offers some relocations from Celebration City and thinks the third may be a next gen Mystery Mine. Interested to see what makes the second phase more expensive than just moving two small scale rides from CC.

Themed rides? Yay!

FYI - Italy & Europe Trip Participants got the heads up first, but TPR will be doing a group trip to SDC as part of a tour next summer!!!

Can you tell us any more details or is it Super Classified and buried away in the TPR Vault at area 51?

According to Swoosh that runs Midwestinfo guide this is the first of three major projects at SDC and the cheapest. The second he sez offers some relocations from Celebration City and thinks the third may be a next gen Mystery Mine. Interested to see what makes the second phase more expensive than just moving two small scale rides from CC.

Surely they aren't going to try to relocate the Ozark Wildcat. I have a feeling that could get a bit costly if they were, though... [Also, I would frankly love that...I was a pretty big fan of that ride]

I'm not even sure what else they would bother to relocate from Celebration City, honestly, especially in terms of things that may even slightly fit in with the park's theming. Sure, a lot of them could possibly be retrofitted to make it work, but...hrmm.

The OzCat is NOT being moved, and at this point it is probably beyond the point where it can reasonably be setup to run again. They have kept it more or less maintained over the years, but it's been four years now of just sitting and they haven't actually been working on the track at all to keep it in shape. There's nothing reasonably salvageable on it at this point as far as the structure goes.

The only rides remaining at CC are the flying carpet, an S&S double shot, and the supersplash they brought in for the final season. Both the S&S double shot and the supersplash have been rumored to be headed for SDC for years now. We'll see what happens.

I can't wait for more shots. Surely there is more track in place by now.

... and the surprises keep on coming. It wasn't a roll after all, but is it still an inversion? ACE has some new photos on their facebook page:

Personally, it looks upside down to me, so I'd call it something like a cut-back. I guess we can argue about it until the next update.

Edited by ernierocker

Personally, it looks upside down to me, so I'd call it something like a cut-back. I guess we can argue about it until the next update.
I'm sticking to my guns and calling it as a cutback that will eventually lead to the remaining ninety degrees of said turn.

I win! (I think.)

It still looks totally crazy though.

^LOL, I'll be the first to admit I've been wrong on EVERY SINGLE piece of this coaster. I think I'll just shut up from now on about what I think it will do and see what on earth happens next. Just about anything is possible apparently.

I'm trying to think of any other coaster with traditional trains that's as twisted as this one is turning out to be. Anyone know of any?

Drachen Fire's cutback:

Outlaw's thingamabob:

They look pretty durn similar to me! It is hard to tell from the angle of the two photos, but the entry and exit angle into the inversion looks much flatter on Outlaw.

Edited by ernierocker

I'm comfortable with the name 'Super-Stengel', since it's facing the wrong direction to be a cutback. I don't know if everyone realizes this or not, but the track leading up into this actually comes out of the lower right of the frame when you are looking at it straight on like in the photo posted earlier. I think I mentioned it before, but the track leading into this element is almost as crazy as the element itself.

If the track had just switched sides at the apex, it would have been a roll. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go with it... but perhaps in retrospect this will actually be more intense and provide more hangtime. It certainly seems like this ride is designed to simply be the best ride possible rather than going for a gimmick or two.