TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm at Holiday World right now and just got off the Voyage with good news. All the extensive trackwork paid off. The ride is the smoothest it's been in years. It's still got a few bumpy spots but that's expected. The newly-rebuilt turnaround is basically the same. The difference is that it flows much better with the rest of the elements. I really hope this trackwork holds up through the rest of the season. We need those timberliners!

Just got back and The Voyage is once again my number one woody. I agree that all the extensive re-tracking has helped a ton. I just hope that some of it lasts... The Legend and The Raven were running great too.

Also, little sister took her maiden voyage today (Horrid pun intended). She doesn't like heights so this was out last year but she went on this today. Oddly though, Pilgrim's Plunge was her favorite and it's, what, the second tallest ride at HW? lol.

Also, is my memory shot (or I'm just nuts) but was there an announcement about the mini starflyer? Anyway, I love the location and colors. Wanted to ride but not up yet.

Love the park, best that I have been too. (However, some of that music was a little out there. lol.) Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

^I remember reading what they considered airtime when they came up with that number. I think it was something like 0.2 g or less. I'm not sure. In any event, it's not Intamin-style airtime by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm at Holiday World right now and just got off the Voyage with good news. All the extensive trackwork paid off. The ride is the smoothest it's been in years

Best new for 2012 attraction by miles.

Doesn't The Voyage always run well in the beginning of the season only to have those PTC trains tear it apart by summer? I'd wait until seeing how it is running in July/August before getting too excited. It would really suck for the park to spend so much money on re-tracking only to have those trains undo everything in a couple of months.

^Normally yes, but last year I visited right around this time in May, and the Voyage was already terribly rough (at least I thought so). I remember walking off with a bad headache after my two rides last year. This year was much improved. I'll be going a few more times to see how the trackwork holds up, and of course to check out Mammoth, which looked amazing up on that hill!

^The opposite for me, I thought it was going to be a little taller. Still, it looks like a lot of fun, and something to be able to get a good view since it's at the top of the hill (as long as the trees don't block too much).

The Voyage last year was honestly kinda brutal. I was able to go for 5 rides (each of them non-consecutive) last year. My dad rode it once and called it quits for the rest for the day. It was too much for him.

I still love the Voyage, and i'm glad to hear it's smoother in parts.

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding the selection of the winning family of their "Super Fan Family" contest.

-Producers for the Travel Channel will travel to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari this weekend to shoot an episode of their upcoming series, “Extreme Water Parks.”

“We’re told Mammoth – our new water coaster – was top on their list for this new show,” says park president Dan Koch. “We’re held a video contest to search for featured riders for the upcoming shoot.”

Winning The park’s “Super Fan Family” contest drew videos from dozens of families. Park officials submitted their five favorite videos to Travel Channel producers, who chose the Julian family of Paducah, Kentucky, as the winning entry. (View their video here: http://youtu.be/E6xpx9X2OCs.)

The Julians, parents Dale and Esther plus sons Caleb and Jacob, win season passes, HoliCash, use of a Bahari River Cabana, overnights in one of the new Rudolph’s Christmas Cabins at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort, plus the opportunity to be the featured Mammoth riders during the Travel Channel shoot.

“Anticipation for Mammoth has been huge,” says Koch. “We can’t wait to see the Julian family take their first rides with the Travel Channel cameras capturing every splash, laugh and scream.” Mammoth is a record-breaking one-third mile long, with seven hills, including a steep 45-degree drop. Six- and eight-passenger boats are propelled uphill by linear induction motors.

The Mammoth episode of “Extreme Water Parks” will air on the Travel Channel, which is available in nearly 96 million U.S. households, later this summer.

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, named the nation’s #1 water park by TripAdvisor.com, will open for the daily season on May 11 with the premiere of Mammoth – the world’s longest water coaster. For more information about the parks, visit http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Wow!

Seeing those pictures of both Mammoth and Sparkler in action got me excited for August. Nothing wrong with the pictures, but if you showed a shot of some pretty girls in bikinis riding Mammoth, then I would really be excited. Maybe I'll get lucky when I go up there and I get to sit with some pretty girls that looks like they came off of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on the ride (it has happened to me before, years ago in another park). Then again, I maybe sitting with a bunch of riders that don't look like they came off of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition (that has happened to me many times). But regardless who I sit next too, one fact is clear: Mammoth is gonna be one sexy ride!

"Hey, what about me? I'm still one sexy pillow."