TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite genre of music?

What is your favorite genre of music?  

285 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite genre of music?

• Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Punk
    • Ska
    • Techno
    • Alternative
    • Country
    • Blue Grass
    • Pop
    • Rap
    • Rap
    • Jazz
    • Classical
    • Mellow "Jack Johnson" style
    • Gospel
    • Hip Hop
    • House

^I agree with you on the rap, but I love all pop and metal. Pop does not make your ears bleed or your "soul burn." Pop is very catchy and just fun to listen to. Metal though, I can understand if you do not like it. There are so many sub-genres of metal though, it seems like you could tolerate at least ONE type of metal.

Brad "the pop and metal fan" Eichar

Yeah, a portion of pop isn't horrible per say, I just find it incredibly boring. As a musician/music lover, I want really rich music. I want diversity and richness in melody, harmony, rhythm, structure, dynamics, texture, timbre, improvisation, etc. With pop music, all you get are the same, repeating "melodies", little to no harmony, stock rhythms, and, well, that's about it.

It's like comparing a kiddie coaster to Bizarro or Boulder Dash. Pop/metal is the plain, boring kiddie coaster (that can be somewhat enjoyable) and good Jazz, fusion, classical is the Bizarro and El Toro of roller coasters. I will add, there is plenty of good rock (classic, hard, prog), country, bluegrass, etc, but not the mainstream stuff.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Eww mainstream rock is terrible. And I don't mean "mainstream" as in rock that is played on rock stations because that is normally the good kind but when they play "mainstream" rock on like the pop channels it sickening because it is just bad. Pretty much what I mean by "mainstream" are:

-Hinder

-Daughtry

-Nickleback

-Papa Roach

-Saving Abel

-The Fray

-All American Rejects

-3OH!3

And I'm pretty sure I will be adding Adam Lambert to my list pretty soon.

--Chris

^Eww mainstream rock is terrible. And I don't mean "mainstream" as in rock that is played on rock stations because that is normally the good kind but when they play "mainstream" rock on like the pop channels it sickening because it is just bad. Pretty much what I mean by "mainstream" are:

-Nickleback

--Chris

I HATE Nickleback. I played a song (pretty sure it was Dream Theater) for my uncle and he said he liked music like Nickleback that he could tap his foot to.

• 2 years later...
I would not be able to survive without my Elgar, Rachmaninov, Schumann, Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Glazunov, and Brahms.

Glazunov? I personally don't find his music overly attractive other than the violin concerto and a few random works...he seems to overdo with the brilliante a bit...

but to each his own!

I guess I could fit within the broad genre of classical (I'm not a big fan of the Baroque-Classical era), and am most in-tune with time between the late years of Chopin and the death of Shostakovich. However, I do like music from other, branching periods and adverse styles (insert Messiaen's early work), even some jazz from the time popular and art music intersected in the mid-20s-early-30s (on the classical side where Ravel created a jazz-impressionist hybrid). I have a fairly large collection of music from many periods, composers, and forms, ranging in the 170ish GB range.

I don't think I have a favorite genre. I just love music. All music! Well, besides Opera, Gospel, and R&B, haha.

I will say this, though... I'm VERY happy to see that Rap and Hip Hop are separate on the poll. I think there is a big difference between the two that a lot of people completely overlook, or just don't understand.

I will say this, though... I'm VERY happy to see that Rap and Hip Hop are separate on the poll. I think there is a big difference between the two that a lot of people completely overlook, or just don't understand.

I'm still confused by this. How would you explain it?

I feel like I've heard both that they're two different kinds of music, or that "rap" is a music genre whereas "hip-hop" is a culture that encompasses rap music. Either way, there are a few artists I would characterize as only one or the other, but otherwise I can't tell the difference. Is there supposed to be a lot of overlap?

^ I guess a lot of peoples interpretations of it are different. Here's my short answer...

To me, rap is a lot more negative, aggressive, and hard. Rap tends to focus on money, demoralizing girls, drugs, cars, jewelry, violence, etc...

I also think that rap is very repetitive, and most of it is done over a purely computer generated beat, and the hooks or chorus' are usually terrible. I think most rap beats tend to be fairly simple, with a lot more (fake) bass.

Hip Hop on the other hand, to me, is more upbeat and positive. To me hip hop focuses more on the future, and being positive about life, and making changes for the better. A lot of hip hop also focuses on relationships, friendships, family, equality, and to be proud and thankful for what you have and to do the best with what you have. It's more about life experiences and enjoying the good, and how to overcome the bad. I think hip hop is a lot more meaningful than rap.

I also think that hip hop beats are usually more complicated and substantial than rap beats. A lot of hip hop emcees tend to have real instruments in their songs too, whether it be drums, horns, turntable scratching, etc...

Let me know if you'd like any examples. I could give you some YouTube links to some great hip hop songs, and some not so great rap songs that will definitely show you the difference, haha. I used to be a huge hip hop head (still "one" of my favorite genres), and have a huge arsenal of goodies!

But like I said, everyone's definition may be different.

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite is rock. More specifically Christian rock, like Red, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, etc.

^THIS!

Though I voted "Alternative" because I like some of the slightly harder Christian rock stuff too. The above, plus Disciple, Oh,Sleeper, Showbread, Emery, Anberlin, Family Force 5, Nine Lashes, and Manic Drive are my top bands. Some of these are really hard to classify, like FF5, so I usually just say, "Alternative".