TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

^ They got a kiddie coaster and lost one - it wasn't there last week! I was there tonight getting my weekly go-kart fix (nothing beats 50 dollar annual passes!) and not only was the ride fully construction (ok so the station was still plywood but still..) but also operating. And yes, I did snag the credit.

Damn, I was there in November and no one was around riding or operating it and I didn't want to pay the $5 or $6 bucks and chase an employee down to run it so I said I will just get it next time. Lesson learned I guess

I wonder how GCI is going to build their first out and back, a concept that was "evil" to them since the start of the company.

I have always liked their emphasis on highly twisted designs, although I see no reason for them not to branch out. I do have trouble remembering Prowler is an out-and-back, probably because it also has twister and terrain elements.

I watched the Prowler pov and thought the same thing, it's pretty twisty. Fun Spot's ride has a very GCI looking track, the crossovers and turn around look like their stuff, but it's still pretty straight forward out and back. The out and back part was no surprise as it was the best fit for the land but the structure was a surprise. Branching out is a good thing in present times but to me it's like a carpenter showing up with steel. This is not at all a complaint, I love the look of the ride for the park.

I was pretty cynical of this expansion when it was first announced -- mostly because Fun Spot's current ride lineup is fairly lame beyond their nice go-kart tracks. But, the GCI looks really damn amazing -- and the other rides look top notch. I'm getting pretty excited about this expansion at this point.... Can't wait to see it built.

^It's looking promising so far for sure. It remains to be seen how well they can execute their total plan for the 20 million dollar price tag. The coaster is probably going to be a good to great ride, that's a pretty safe bet, but the flats have to be good too. The Gyro Loop will probably stay as well as a Screaming Swing, thats a decent start. I would love to see a Wave Swinger, love those things, and a carny drop tower, Cypress Gardens' was killer. A big flashy modern flat would help the cause too, A Streetfighter with a good long cycle would be bliss.

I wonder if the waterpark being built is depending on the succsess of phase 1. I am looking forward to a 360 Rush. The notion of the smaller waterpark is appealing to me, I like the concept a lot. WIsh the place was mine.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.orlandoskyradio.com/2012/03/exciting-expansion-fun-spot-action-park/

Our friends over at Fun Stop have finally been given the go ahead from the Orlando City Commission this week to proceed with their expansion plans.

Not ones to hang around the Fun Spot crew is ready and will have the ground breaking ceremony later this month.

Mark Brisson Director of Marketing has kindly shared the following photos to give you a taster of what is to come in the near future.

carousel.thumb.jpg.f314b1dcc6ef9e9cb073fa4aeeb41c83.jpg

The double decker carousel above was purchased from Legoland/Cypress Gardens. It will be refitted to be more “America” themed. But it will be one of the first rides that will open after the break ground later this Spring.

green-track.thumb.jpg.6bae3fc3f5b2c1921d6f9c2b727353b2.jpg

The drawing above of the revamped Green Track that will be expanded, enlarged and made more challenging, as if the tracks arent challenging enough already…

walk-entry-sign1.thumb.jpg.bb6a4528dbb4365dd89b9a63a7efd115.jpg

new-build.thumb.jpg.e4f05d8d8aad8d8276171e910820f1d8.jpg

The artist drawings of a new building that will attach to the existing building (it attaches on what is presently the back side and face into the park facing what is now the bumper boat pool). In this new building Fun Spot will have an expanded arcade, a Food Court with different snack bars, interior seating, Birthday Rooms that will convert to a Dinner Show theater, to allow development of a comedy or magic dinner show. This is part of Phase two and is not expected to be completed until late 2013 or early 2014.

New-Park-flyout-zoom-in.thumb.jpg.abd03c05ef685b707015311100b91b63.jpgNew-Park-flyout.thumb.jpg.fbd9769c82de6d590a12f812df0d7de1.jpg

From the air the drawings show how Fun Spots footprint wil have expanded and how it fits into the surrounding area.

Love it! They're really squeezing it in even more than I thought they were going to. The fact that they have the GCI, Skycoaster, and Star Flyer all positioned on the back end near Grand National will make a very impressive sight from I-4, only a few hundred yards away.

I'm also curious about that other wooded plot of land. It'd definitely be cool to see them expand over in that direction after a few years go by. Maybe do a bridge over the road Kentucky King...err Bluegrass Boardwalk style!

It's me again with my third post to this topic about the Fun Spot Action Park. To refresh your memories, on page one I wrote how amusment parks are born and on page three I wrote what will they add to the expansion and letting the speculations begin. Then I forgot about this topic until now and decided it was time for a revisit and see what was coming up for Fun Spot Action Park.

All I can say is !!!

We, as riders and amusment park flyers, must lend all our support for this newfangled enterprise as not only it will contain more rides and attractions (not to mention as a cheaper alternative to those other theme parks that will cost you an arm and two legs - inflation again), but Fun Spot Action Park will be helping the economy out by creating 200 new jobs. Plus, the expansion plans for the GREEN TRACK will make that track much better (when I last drove on that track, I thought the layout was too tame and lame - that was many years ago ).

Looking at the artist rendition of the park expansion, didn't I see three coasters deplected? I saw the woodie and steel coaster, but I also saw what looked like a kiddie coaster. And I also saw more areas to contain spinning flat rides when I only know of two: the double decker carousel and the windseeker. Are there more rides they are going to add or what?

Finally, on my last post on page three, I was asking about the two ponds: are they going to stay or will they go? By looking at the artist rendition again, I see land, but no ponds, perhaps they plan to drain all the water out, fill in the hole, and refilter the water to be used for their water park section. Add speaking about water park section, I know about the lazy river, but what other water slides will they put in?

Does anybody know or is it the old "Just wait and see" bit?

"I wonder if Teddy the teddy bear could use some company tonight?"